Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-06-2022, 03:31 PM   #1

Acceptable angle for tow bar

Hi,

My Jeep Wrangler recently got a 2 inch lift and the tow bar is not level. Don't have a photo but will post one next week when I next tow.

Should I be looking at a hitch adapter?

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2022, 04:03 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A recent thread concerning a raised jeep pulled by a raised hitch adapter has the jeep wandering about and most comments seemed to suggest he had too much separation between the jeep and the coach pulling it.
Old 07-06-2022, 04:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
A recent thread concerning a raised jeep pulled by a raised hitch adapter has the jeep wandering about and most comments seemed to suggest he had too much separation between the jeep and the coach pulling it.
Thanks,

I towed it 1300 miles from MI to DC last week and and she was a champ.

Even though my e450 is 31ft it is a narrow body and only 10ft tall. Click image for larger version

Name:	20220404_145104.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	370306
Old 07-06-2022, 05:00 PM   #4

Blue Ox says 4" or less higher then the baseplate. Roadmaster says no more than 3" higher or lower.
Bill 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 05:06 PM   #5

And it’s better if the hitch is a little higher than where the towbar attaches to the toad, instead of the opposite.

Imagine the towbar becoming like a pole vault under extreme braking.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 05:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
And it’s better if the hitch is a little higher than where the towbar attaches to the toad, instead of the opposite.

Imagine the towbar becoming like a pole vault under extreme braking.
That does not occur when the towed has braking too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 05:57 PM   #7

That depends on the type of braking system on the TOAD and if there is a delay in it actuating.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:17 PM   #8

All I said was one was better than the other. And tried to explain why in exaggerated terms.
Old 07-07-2022, 05:36 PM   #9

It's the Ready Brute elite that I have. I have an LED in the rv that tells me when the toad brake activates.

I really need to hook the toad and measure and photo tow bar.
Old 07-07-2022, 06:09 PM   #10

This is from NSA instructions:

IMPORTANT: DO NOT TOW IF TOWBAR IS OVER 2 INCHES FROM LEVEL IN EITHER DIRECTION. IF THE TOWBAR IS MORE THAN 2 INCHES OFF LEVEL WE SUGGEST USING A DROP / OR RISER TO LEVEL IT.
Bill 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 06:37 PM   #11

I have about a 4 1/2 to 5" difference with the MH being higher. With the proper braking system and coach, the height difference is not as critical. I remember reading through the sticky at the top and one of the manufacturers posted that its ok
Old 07-08-2022, 09:57 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger2 View Post
I have about a 4 1/2 to 5" difference with the MH being higher. With the proper braking system and coach, the height difference is not as critical. I remember reading through the sticky at the top and one of the manufacturers posted that its ok

I think that is a bit too much difference. Under braking the front of the motorhome dives down and the rear lifts up. Likewise, when the toad brakes are applied its front end also dives. So, with the motorhome rear lifting up and the toad front end dropping your 5" difference can become significantly greater. All it takes is for the tow bar to find itself vertical and the toad can end up under the rear of the motorhome.
Old 07-08-2022, 02:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
I think that is a bit too much difference. Under braking the front of the motorhome dives down and the rear lifts up. Likewise, when the toad brakes are applied its front end also dives. So, with the motorhome rear lifting up and the toad front end dropping your 5" difference can become significantly greater. All it takes is for the tow bar to find itself vertical and the toad can end up under the rear of the motorhome.
Understandable but my 4369 is not diving down. Secondly, Demco posted this in the sticky thread

"Here is another line of thought to tune up your brain.

The tow bar angle, in my mind, is less of an issue with a proper tow brake. By that I mean a good system with no built is surge suppressor or technology that determines if you are going down hill or stopping. These systems must think and in a panic, you nor your brake should think, it should just do it. Reading through the posts here it seems that the concern is that the car might try to climb in to the bed or some how sneak under it. IF, and I say IF you have a proper brake, then how could it?

Proper angle does reduce sway and tows a bit better. But those drop receivers add at least two pin connections which adds slop in the tow set up. Blue OX makes an extra part to help with this on one pin but rather than that, I still believe that a proper brake will eliminate the major part of this issue. Slop in the tow set up will add to sway in the tow which can add to more wear on the front tires and cupping. I do know a customer (a customer now but she used to have a competitors product) that folded a motorcycle carrier up into the back of her coach and then onto the hood of her truck. The angle was right but the stop was so fast that her brake could not keep up. At least that is what she told me. At any rate the brake failed her and she had 1000's of dollars of damage. A proper brake would have been much less than ½ of the repair.

Food for thought.

Pete"
Old 07-08-2022, 05:18 PM   #14

I agree that any hitch add-ons that have loose connections are a bad thing… maybe worse than a little “too much” height difference.
I followed a class-c today down the interstate and I thought the toad was looking for room to pass on either side lol.

I use hitch tighteners on our extension and receiver, but have to re-tighten them quite often.

Tags
tow