Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #1

Ack! How to tow a vehicle....

OK,
Just "upgraded" from a travel trailer to a DP. Got an American Revolution 40J, Spartan Liberty Chassis with 15,000 tow capacity. DP is ~40ft head to toe.

Now... I own a carhauler. An Interstate sport trailer that UNFORTUNATELY has an overall length of 26'11".

I also have a Ford Excursion, but alas, it cannot be towed 4 wheel down.

My other cars I would not tow 4 down (65 mustang GT vert, 68 Karmann Ghia Vert, 64 Toyota Landcruiser and a few newer cars...)

I would love to take my classics with me. Landcruiser especially. It fits in my carhauler, but the carhauler puts my overall length at ~67feet.

What to do? Should I get a flatbed carhauler? How filthy will the towed cars get? Should I get a shorter enclosed trailer? A dolly and just bring a newer car like my wifes FWD manual Volvo C70?

If I get a flatbed I would likely sell my carhauler as I wouldn't need (or want) both. I really cannot afford to spend too much money (but if I had to buy a flatbed could sell my interstate and come out even I assume (or better).

AAACCCKKKKKK!!!! I feel like I have 37 different pieces to a puzzle but nothing fits together!

Chris

Here is a gratuitous pic of my new toy, no new thread is complete without a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(5).jpg
Views:	98
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	40930  
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Will either of your vehicles fit in a shorter car hauler?
If so, maybe it can be modified - Shortened?
Maybe one of your vehicles is towable 4 down with a REMCO Disconnect Drive Shaft Coupling ?? Remco Drive Shaft Disconnect | Application Chart
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #3

I currently have a 1959 Austin Healey with a 302-V8 and AOD automatic transmission and a 1966 Mustang GT FB with AOD that I frequently take with me.

Because both toys are automatics and removing the driveshaft was a PITA, I bought a 16 foot bed, 7K# capacity, car hauler. HERE is the Healey loaded on it before a trip.

The Healey is 13 feet and the Mustang is just a tad over 15 feet.

After a few trips, I enclosed the trailer to keep things cleaner and to ward off prying eyes.

Although the Mustang is a VERY tight fit, it still goes inside.

I'd suggest a shorter trailer.

Tim

PS-That is not my Mustang in the driveway. It is my daughters. HERE'S mine.

Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #4

Healeyman,
Did you find the car's on the trailer before you enclosed it got excessively dirty?

Chris
Old 06-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
OK,
Just "upgraded" from a travel trailer to a DP. Got an American Revolution 40J, Spartan Liberty Chassis with 15,000 tow capacity. DP is ~40ft head to toe.

Now... I own a carhauler. An Interstate sport trailer that UNFORTUNATELY has an overall length of 26'11".

I also have a Ford Excursion, but alas, it cannot be towed 4 wheel down.

My other cars I would not tow 4 down (65 mustang GT vert, 68 Karmann Ghia Vert, 64 Toyota Landcruiser and a few newer cars...)

I would love to take my classics with me. Landcruiser especially. It fits in my carhauler, but the carhauler puts my overall length at ~67feet.

What to do? Should I get a flatbed carhauler? How filthy will the towed cars get? Should I get a shorter enclosed trailer? A dolly and just bring a newer car like my wifes FWD manual Volvo C70?

If I get a flatbed I would likely sell my carhauler as I wouldn't need (or want) both. I really cannot afford to spend too much money (but if I had to buy a flatbed could sell my interstate and come out even I assume (or better).

AAACCCKKKKKK!!!! I feel like I have 37 different pieces to a puzzle but nothing fits together!

Chris

Here is a gratuitous pic of my new toy, no new thread is complete without a pic.
It seems to me that cash is not a huge problem for you so .....

Why not shop for a used but solid toad that you can drag 4 wheels down. I'll bet you could pick up something suitable and agreeable for less than the other solutions you are considering.

Just a thought....

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #6

Hi Chris,

We are mostly taking the cars to long weekend car events. Although not officially "Shows" there is always a day or 1/2 day "Shine & Show' event.

The only time either of them got really dirty was after getting caught in the rain and driving through a couple miles of construction. The Mustang got pretty muddy, although a couple $$ at the spray-wand car wash cleaned it up before I even took it off the trailer.

I enclosed the trailer just before we towed the Healey from Dallas to a week long event in Lake Tahoe, then over to San Francisco and down the coast to SoCal for a week there before returning to Dallas.

Enclosing the trailer was mainly for security on the 3-4 week trip through such "unknown" territory. I didn't want somebody to simply cut the straps and make off with it.

For both cars, I use a single, front and rear, tie down point. The Healey has a welded eye bolt through the front and rear cross members with a chain to the trailer frame at the front and a chain to a screw type chain tightener to the trailer frame at the rear.

For the Mustang, I use a web axle strap around the core support below the radiator to a chain to the trailer frame in front and two axle straps in a "Y" to a chain to the screw type chain tightener to the rear trailer frame.

Because the trailer is narrow and the doors won't open inside, with the hard top on, the Healey and the Mustang must be winched into the trailer. I try to load/unload on a slight slope and with a reversing winch and it only takes a few seconds to load or unload either car. If the hardtop is not on the Healey, I can drive it in and out.

I have taken the Mustang on 4-5 trips and the Healey on a dozen or so.

This trailer solution works well for me.

My other towed car is a 2010 Miata, 6-speed, retractable hardtop. I tow it 4-down.

Tim
Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #7

Jeep Wrangler is the only way to go. Really.
Dr. Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #8

Dr. Den,
I get you on the tried and true wrangler 4 down tow.... BUT..... JEEP is a four letter word in my house!! We have a vintage Toyota Landcruiser ;-) Well, the reality is that I have 6 cars. A 65 Mustang GT vert, a 68 Karman Ghia Vert, a 64 Toyota FJ40, a Ford Excursion, a Volvo C70 and my Hyundai Genesis. I am not retired, not even close (only 40) and we use our DP on weekends. The last thing I need is ANOTHER car. Especially one I would only use as a TOAD.

I am thinking of getting a small flatbed car hauler at this point.

Chris
Old 07-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #9
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Hard to feel sorry for a 40 year old guy with 6 cars and a 40' DP LOL.

Good on ya though.

I'd go with the flat-bed.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
My rolling garage is where I carry my toad. However, I have the Saturn Vue setup to tow for short trips where I don't need to carry my garage with me.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alaska 2010 545.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	386.0 KB
ID:	41623  
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #11

Does anyone make a MH with a toyhauler rear door? That would be interesting.

I sure would not want a valuable vintage/classic car exposed and would go enclosed. You could end up with a rock hitting it or someone vandalizing it or worse, stealing it. Not even sure if the standard coupler and receiver lock would be enough of a deterrent. I'd be looking at an alarm system and anything else possible and feasible to secure it. Anyone could easily use a torch to silently cut chains and locks and hitch up your trailer and go. Happens regularly with contractor's cargo trailers full of expensive tools and equipment. My 2 cents on this...

I have 2 vintage cars, not yet restored, but have wondered how to get them to an event. They are both short enough and light enough to fit in the bed of our 3/4 ton truck. We tow a travel trailer and have wondered if a car in the truck bed with the trailer behind would work okay. Probably not, but a thought.

Bucket list item for me would be to take a car and TT to the Monterey Historics and camp at the track. Would possibly need a MH and flatdeck trailer though.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Travel Supreme made a garage model with a mid-engine diesel.

Travel Supreme RV Mid Engine Motor Home Class A - Diesel - Toy Hauler | Reviews, Floorplans, Specs, Pictures and Price Quotes

Great for hauling a small car like a smart car and a motorcycle BUT really tough when it comes to work on the engine.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote