Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2018, 11:14 AM   #1

Angry ACME dolly broke first trip

So I started having an issue with the dolly brakes locking up on me on the second day of the trip, and they finally got so bad that I almost lost control trying to get into a rest area. I took the van off the dolly and tried to see what was wrong, and it looks like the bolt that holds the spring/shock in place either broke or was never there.

I put a call in today, waiting on a call back from the shop foreman. Hopefully their customer service is good because I’m 600 miles away from home with a broken dolly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EC0C9BF8-4E6E-494E-A7C7-FBDFAE361484.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	218009  
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2018, 11:54 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry to hear of your problem. I am not familiar with the shock or spring you speak of. I have a surge brake version acme eze tow dolly and have had no problems in 10,000 miles. Make sure it is full of brake fluid to the recommended level. Best of luck.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:23 PM   #3

What is that steel cable in the photo? Looks like it is wrapped up in the caliper but hard to tell from the photo. Do you have any other photos? Can you remove the wheel & tire?

There is no spring or shock on the ACME dolly. As far as the brake bolts backing out, I doubt that would happen. When I rebuilt my calipers I had an awful time getting those bolts out, they are set with Loctite and don't come out very easy.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:28 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It sure looks like a steel cable that does not belong where it is to me.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:30 PM   #5

Just looked at your other thread where you took it for a test tow. The brakes in your photos look clean and well cleared of any objects. While I am not sure what the photo in this thread is, something seems to have gotten lodged in your setup.

Can you possibly provide more photos? Are you still stuck in the rest area?
Old 09-07-2018, 07:28 PM   #6

I think the breakaway cable was pulled and wasn't reset properly. That left the cable loose to wrap around the brake actuator.

His picture is of the master cylinder cap ( the black round thing )
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:32 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I think the photo is the surge Master cyl. On the tongue.. nothing to do with the wheels the cable is wrapped around the surge brake cylinder
Old 09-07-2018, 08:07 PM   #8

Ahh, that makes sense. He just did a test tow recently and had no issues. I think the closeness of the photo and his mention of a spring/shock threw me off. If the cable was inadvertently pulled so the grommet is gone, then that would be why his brakes were applied. Hopefully he got help, sucks being stuck on a trip. I had a lot of issues last trip and it really puts a kibosh on things.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:36 PM   #9

The cable wasn’t pulled, the grommet is still in there. I called ACME and they said they don’t know why it was routed up that way. And they’ve never seen the bolt come off the shock like that.

I called Dexter, who makes the brake actuator and they found a place local to me that has a new actuator, and found a service center that can swap them out. So I am going to drop the trailer off at the service center tomorrow morning and it should be ready to go Monday. Fingers crossed. So far great customer service and response from both companies. The lady from Dexter actually conference called with me and the service center to coordinate the repair.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Ahh, that makes sense. He just did a test tow recently and had no issues. I think the closeness of the photo and his mention of a spring/shock threw me off. If the cable was inadvertently pulled so the grommet is gone, then that would be why his brakes were applied. Hopefully he got help, sucks being stuck on a trip. I had a lot of issues last trip and it really puts a kibosh on things.
Yeah test tow went great. I hit some rough roads coming up through CT so I’m wondering if the bolt wasn’t torqued properly and vibrated out.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:42 PM   #11

This bolt is what I’m missing. So without the shock/spring connected every time I touch the brakes it’s 100% lockup on the dolly because there’s no resistance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5B91613D-5CE6-474C-BEEE-2704359AA2A1.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	218061  
Old 09-08-2018, 05:32 AM   #12

Glad they are helping. Hope it works out for you. Where did you get stuck?
Old 09-09-2018, 03:51 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Now im leaning to a Master Tow?
Ron1z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1z View Post
Now im leaning to a Master Tow?
The actuators probably are the same, or work the same way. Acme and Master Tow don’t make the braking systems or axles. They just make the frame, all the other components are third party.

Tags
dolly