Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2020, 08:12 AM   #1

Acme EZ tow dolly versus American car tow dolly

I have read reviews on both the Acme EZ tow dolly and the American car tow dolly.

We have a 2014 Fleetwood Bounder with the electrical connection for a tow dolly with electric brakes.

Both tow dollies have got great reviews, but I am still confused as to which way to proceed.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
EddieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2020, 09:18 AM   #2

American Car Tow Dolly has a swivel plate for the cars front tires to set in and be tightly strapped down.
That facilitates turning corners without the cars steering having to turn.

With the Acme, the steering MUST be unlocked and the cars tires will shift around under the straps. I believe the Acme uses non-standard tires.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:37 AM   #3

We've used American Car Dolly for 2yrs now no problems great product, I don't think moving fluid through the power steering system when pump not running is good for system , creates heat, so I prefer the swivel base. And personalized service by the OWNER! He usually delivers the dolly to you himself. He will demonstrate everything and answer any questions.
Wrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:44 AM   #4

I use the amce ez dolly and it tows fine. Set up takes about 15min. I have a 5 gallon buck for all the parts and I added a receiver to the toad to free up the RV when desired. I'm sure one day I'll lose the brake lockout insert (which I've tied to the bucket). I also carry a light weight carpet for all the crawling under. Sometimes hot, sometimes dirty, sometimes both.

I'm on my second set of tires which I had shipped to a local walmart somewhere in Kansas. So getting tires isn't hard but perhaps not the same day. First set lasted 10k.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:04 AM   #5

The EZ tow doesn't have electric brakes. The American does.
Dray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:13 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We've towed our American Car Dolly probably close to 70,000 miles now over 6 years. 3 different cars and one pick up (rearward). Georgia to Alaska and return. Cross country in all directions 4 times.

The dolly is about as close to perfect as I could expect. It is very easy to work on, although maintenance is minimal. Mostly greasing the bearings (I remove the hub) and grease them by hand at least once a year. Probably overkill but it gives me something to play with. I changed the brakes (full backing plates) took about 15 minutes for each wheel once. Turned out I really didn't need to as all was well but I went ahead and did the change as I had the brakes and backing plates in hand.

Changed the tires one time- more for aging than anything else- only showed slight wear. Changed the straps once due to age and wanted to feel good about them.

We have fun loading playing "NASCAR PIT CREW" -best time = 7 minutes. (Could do better but it has to do with age- ours)Sometimes we poke at it though.

Added a break away switch. Also added a drop down tongue caster for more ease in moving it around, but we don't always use it.

I love having direct access to Gary at American. Very helpful customer service and he's always available.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:31 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Haven’t used a EZ but I had a similar choice to make 2 years ago and chose the American. Very happy with the choice. I towed a Chevy volt and the only issue I had was the car was so low the ramp storage on the tongue would touch the bottom of the car( it’s very low) . I stored them in a mh bay. I’ve since changed cars and it’s no longer a issue.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:24 PM   #8

I have an Acme Eze Tow dolly and use it to tow a 2016 Prius. So far, very pleased with how it works. The Acme has radial tires and disc brakes; it uses a surge actuator so this means no mods are needed on the MH. Just plug in the lights and it's ready to go. The Prius has a very low profile and this meant I had to get a drop hitch so that the car would clear the dolly OK. Loading up is a bit of work requiring both me and the DW. She helps me guide the car on and also helps with the straps. Since we've only towed once, round trip, we're still learning but it's getting better. The Prius has eye-bolt tow hooks and we're using those for the safety "chains." We decided to use straps instead of chains so the car's finish would not be impacted. The eye bolts mean that we don't have to go under the car to fasten safety chains. Last... it's essential to check and tighten the tire straps at least once or twice during a trip as they loosen up.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:50 PM   #9

I use and am VERY pleased with the Acme EZ tow dolly. The surge brakes work perfectly, since the ramps remove, I never have to worry about them dipping up and hitting the car, with the non-moving platform, I never worry about the dolly fenders hitting the auto on a turn. I bought mine lightly used, have put at least 5,000 miles on it over numerous overnight trips, and tires still have lots of tread.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:05 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Can you dolly a" all wheel" ( not 4 wheel) drive car without any issues?
dstraky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstraky View Post
Can you dolly a" all wheel" ( not 4 wheel) drive car without any issues?

For the correct answer you should consult your owners manual.
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acme, dolly, tow, tow dolly