Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2012, 12:03 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget63 View Post
I just purchased this dolly over the phone yesterday. I asked Branden what is included and he informed me it comes with the spare tire and wheel, LED lights, and the ARS system. Is that the system you are referring to?
Best of luck with your new Eze-Tow.

Yes, per the website, the ARS was a chain tie-down that replaces the web-straps...and is the focus of the prior scary posts.

If you have time after pick-up, please post if the dolly you get at delivery really includes the ARS chain tie-down.

And, if you see him Friday, say Hey to Brandon for us...he's always been very helpful on phone calls for info.

Finally, to the Lock-tite idea - since it works on Harley's (and Buells) it will keep your EZE-Tow in one piece.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2012, 12:21 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Left and right straps

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcritter View Post
My straps aren't marked either, or weren't until I did it myself, but with the hooks to the rear, the long horizontal strap should be to the outside, so it's fairly easy to see which is L&R, although marking them makes it somewhat quicker to just throw them down next to the wheel where they belong when getting ready to hook up. :>)
I have thought and thought about this Left/Right strap thing...and pose this idea...

...Aren't they interchangeable? Left will fit right and Right will fit left...if you just change sides and flip them over

'Cuz, as long as you ensure that the big metal ring and the long strap meet on the outside-front, you could have the spring hooks face into the "D" rings or away from the rings...our preference.

Makes me wonder how many of us have them marked differently because of personal preference for the hooks
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #59

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i just purchased and received my new Eze-tow dolly. they quit using the ARS chain system and now only use straps like all others. the instructions state that the straps are now interchangeable from left to right. it comes with safety chains for both the vehicle-dolly and dolly-tow vehicle.
gman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
I bought my eze-tow last Dec. it came with the ars and the straps. have only used the straps, but they never seemed right. it seemed like the short cross overs would shift around. do your straps look like the pics number 26 and 27? mine does not have the d ring on the front of the dolly. I think that would help keep things in place better. something happened onetime and one side got frayed on the inside of the tire and I had to get a new strap. this is the site where the pics I am talking about are. http://cartowdolly.com/eze-tow-dolly/
Old 07-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #61

They certainly changed the straps since i got mine in February! my strap has 2 crossovers that they say should go at "10 and 2 oclock" but i find they work better at 11 and 1. also they said it was extremely important that the D ring in fron be centered on the tire tread to go straight down to the winch.
johnd1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #62

i just looked at the video on the website again and it is completely different fromthe photos shown on the same website. so, which is correct? the photos seem to show the d ring on the outside of the tire, the video says middle of the tread. also photo 27 is showing a strap adjuster on what appears to be the rear of the tire!
johnd1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:07 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
I have thought and thought about this Left/Right strap thing...and pose this idea...

...Aren't they interchangeable? Left will fit right and Right will fit left...if you just change sides and flip them over

'Cuz, as long as you ensure that the big metal ring and the long strap meet on the outside-front, you could have the spring hooks face into the "D" rings or away from the rings...our preference.

Makes me wonder how many of us have them marked differently because of personal preference for the hooks
I haven't actually tried it that way, but it sounds logical and I don't see why it wouldn't work. If you say it does, then I believe you. :>) I'm getting ready to hook mine up for a short trip tomorrow, so I'll have to check and see if it works. :>) I have no personal preference on whether the hooks clip in the front or back. I just like to keep mine set up to make it as quick and easy as possible. Looking at the pictures on their website, it appears that the ring would end up on the inside of the tire if the straps were flipped as you say, though. I know on their website they make reference to left & right straps being marked accordingly, which mine weren't. Question: Does everyone else use the chains hooked to the chassis somewhere as a backup when using the straps?? Seems like I read somewhere that it's required by law. :>O
bigcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:47 AM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd1985 View Post
i just looked at the video on the website again and it is completely different fromthe photos shown on the same website. so, which is correct? the photos seem to show the d ring on the outside of the tire, the video says middle of the tread. also photo 27 is showing a strap adjuster on what appears to be the rear of the tire!
I think IF you have d rings on the front AND the back then the metal ring goes on the outside. if you just have them on the back, then the ring needs to be centered on the front of the tire. also when using the saftey chain you need to make sure you leave it loose enough for the suspension on the car to bounce up and down. I may be wrong but this is the way I see it.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Different Mounting Systems

There seems to be some confusion about the 2 different kinds of mounting systems on EZE-Tow Dolly's.

There are the vast majority that have 12 "D" rings (3 front and 3 rear, on each side).

Then there are the Dolly's with the slide rack in the front.

I believe the 6 "D" ring set-up was older and the rack came recently.

The web-straps would have to be different because there is 2 connection points for the front of the "D" ring dolly (1 has a hook, the other is for the rachet). The single connection front would only have 1 strap to connect to the slide rack mount system.

Seems to me that website has the pictures mixed-up - like you are looking at the same dolly, but it is not.

If you have the slide rack on the front, the strap has to be centered. If it is not, the web strap will get loose as the rachet seeks center going ver bumps and such.
Attached Images

WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hopefully with Pictures this time:

"D" rings in the front:

Name:   Eze-tow w-D ring fnt 2.png
Views: 1237
Size:  2.9 KB

Slide rack in the front:

Name:   Eze-tow w-D ring fnt.png
Views: 1251
Size:  2.9 KB
Attached Images

WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LOL Still no photos, so I will give it a try. This is with the slide and Ratchet (Yes I have the wrong ratchet, but was too lazy to go back and get the correct one)

The straps supplied with the slide and ratchet will fit either side. Controling factor is how you like to make up the hooks in the rear (fit down through the inside of the frame ring, or snap onto the frame ring from the outside)

In my photos I have them snapped on from the outside to forward and on the left side of the dolly, but by snapping from the inside to the rear that same strap would work on the right side of the dolly.

But upon looking at the photos as I preview this post, I think how you connect the rear snaps makes no differance if you are putting the ring in the center of the tire. It would make a differance only if you wanted the ring on the outside of the tire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3373.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	411.5 KB
ID:	23697   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3374.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	524.5 KB
ID:	23698  

Old 07-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
good pics. good idea with just the tire and not the car in the way. that is the way I use mine. only I like my front strap a little higher on the tire. but I think I would rather have the other style of straps and d rings, but I have towed over 6000 miles over the moutains out west and back and never lost the car, so I guess they work. I would to see how far the car scoots back in the staps going up a long grade on I70 in Colorado.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One last try for pictures

Thanks to Ted for the pics of the slide rack equipped EZE-Tow.

Since my pics didn't work the first 2 tries, here's 2 of someone elses dolly with the "D" ring set-up.
I thiknk it's easy to see the difference this way.

Name:   Eze-tow D ring.png
Views: 1626
Size:  158.2 KB

Name:   Eze-tow D ring2.png
Views: 1613
Size:  178.8 KB

The slide rack requires a wrench to tighten the ratchet - right?
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #70

Yes, it requires a wrench, but I use a half-inch ratchet & socket and I keep it
on the driver's floor of the toad for quick snug-up when stopped.
Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly