Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #1

Acme EZE-tow dolly

Hi! I would like some feedback from owners of the Acme EZE-tow dolly. How does it handle? Is it reliable? How is the customer service? Any problems?
hark582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2012, 05:09 PM   #2

never buy acme

First of all....never buy anything from "ACME",haven't you learned anything from watching roadrunner cartoons? all the acme stuff he ever used didn't work.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Love my Acme Eze-tow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hark582 View Post
Hi! I would like some feedback from owners of the Acme EZE-tow dolly. How does it handle? Is it reliable? How is the customer service? Any problems?

We have a 2011 model EZE-Tow with the web strap (bought second hand from a family selling their rig). We have taken several long weekend trips and just finished a 2400 mile trip with it behind our Damon Outlaw towing an FWD Escape Hybrid.

It is GREAT. You really don't need the turntable of most dolly's...IF...and this is a big if...the front wheels are able to turn (not spin, but turn). For most modern cars, that means you have to leave a key in the ignition to unlock the steering. On our Ford, that means: Ignition on to unlock the steering, then turn the key off BUT leave the key in the keyhole or the steering will lock.

Because I don't have the original manual I don't know if they tell you this, but I found out by towing it behind my pick-up, making very hard turns and decided that it was best to let the front wheels turn to track the car as we turned.

I love the light weight and good quality manufacture. We have a microphone on the rear camera and so we could notice the BIG difference between the noise coming from a U-Haul dolly that we used 2 times vs. the EZE-tow, which is just the noise from the safety chains.

For customer service, When I e-mailed the builder using the e-mail on their website to ask about a replacement manual or statistics on the turning radius and such, I never heard back(?)

We have the spare tire and led lights. The tires show very little wear after all our travels. The only problem was a butt connector on the right parking light came apart, but I think the mounting of the lights was part of the limited U-build-it from the original owner.

Hope that helps.
Steve and Kim
'07 Damon Outlaw/W22
'01 Buell S3T in the Garage
'06 Escape Hybrid Toad
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a EZE trailer and it is the best money invested. We have been using for a few years now and have never had a problem at all with it. I did have to buy a new tire, just to have a spare. The company guy was great with me and always there to help me out. I had misplaced the cap on the brake fluid reseriour and he kindly sent me out another, no charge. I also just replaced the tie-down straps from the company. [moderator edit]. Good day!
lilgreek7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:29 AM   #5

My eze-tow is 2 years old and looks new, even the tires.
The owner of the company has always returned emails quickly.
The dolly comes on a pallet and you have to install the fenders and lights,
so the butt connector was installed by original owner.
I have never had any problems with it and I don't even know it is back there.
And it will be delivered right to your front door.

Am pretty sure the downloadable owners manual is on the company web site.

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Disc Brake Lock Out Pin

I am gonna recant my comment about having problems reaching a human at Acme...I just called to ask about the mysterious "key" used to lock-out the brakes for backing...I got Brandon on the line immediatly.

Car Tow Dolly -The Lightest and Toughest Tow Dolly For All Car Towing Needs - Acme Car Tow Dolly Company at 336-996-4396

So, if there is a question, don't e-mail - call them.

Brandon was very helpful, described the device, and directed me to the blog section of the website to see a picture of it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DiscBrakeLockOutPin.jpg
Views:	2369
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	21141

I didn't get one of these when I bought my Ezetow dolly second hand. It will be much easier to use this than adding a servo to lock-out the brakes like my boat trailer has.

Thanks to Brandon and those here that told me about getting the pin with thier dolly.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 05-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #7

As long as we're talking about the EZE-Tow ...

I bought mine new recently and it came quickly. It took much longer to dispose of the shipping crate than it took to set the unit up! Bolt on the fenders and lights and its ready to go. It's stout looking and appears to be very well made.

Here in Washington state a license plate isn't issued for tow dolly's. They do collect a use tax when it's registered however - no surprise there.

I haven't put it to use yet but I expect it will do well pulling our old Dodge Caravan.
Tony H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
I've had my e-z tow dolly for 3 years. My first trip with it I towed a Saturn Vue from New Jersey to Montana. No problems, it handle great. Customer service is great, I called to get info on the new tie down system, all my questions were answer right away and with a smile.
You can't go wrong with a E-Z tow dolly. Oh yeah,the disk brakes are great.
GJHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #9

I recommend you put aircraft style/nylon insert lock nuts on the tail lights,
they have been known to come loose, mine did.
Otherwise it is a great dolly, over 8000 miles and looks and runs like new.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
I recommend you put aircraft style/nylon insert lock nuts on the tail lights,
they have been known to come loose, mine did.
Otherwise it is a great dolly, over 8000 miles and looks and runs like new.
Right on.

And it's easiest if you put the tail lights on first, and then the fenders.

And that's all there is to assembly.
Tony H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #11

And if you stand it up against the garage wall like I do, be sure to put
4 2X4s under each side (see photo) before you stand it up.
Or you will get to buy new tail lights.

Don't bother to ask how I know this.

And yes, this old man can stand it up by himself, which means you can too.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dolly.JPG
Views:	1094
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	21179  
Old 05-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #12

I just received my ACME last week and put the lights/fenders on. You don't lose any brake fluid standing it up like that? How do you hold the brake key in place for backing?
sgtstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Brake Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtstriker View Post
I just received my ACME last week and put the lights/fenders on. How do you hold the brake key in place for backing?
HAHA...good question.

Here is the manufacturers idea...

Name:	Tape Key.jpg
Views:	853
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	21184
And I quote - "The lock pin correctly positioned to lock out the brakes. Must be taped into place to stay. DOT regs do not allow a self holding design.

I don't have one of these keys yet, so I don't know if it will stay put for short periods of use or not...and I bet different dolly's will be loose or tight depending on age and use.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 05-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtstriker View Post
I just received my ACME last week and put the lights/fenders on. You don't lose any brake fluid standing it up like that? How do you hold the brake key in place for backing?
No brake fluid loss that I can find....

I think it will take more than that piece of Scotch tape to hold it, I'm thinking
duct tape or several wraps of electrical tape. Guess I'll find out if I ever have
to use it...

Tags
dolly