Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2018, 06:59 AM   #15

Are your tie down ratchets centered on the tires ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2018, 06:12 AM   #16

I am going to recalibrate everything and try again. Doesn't look like I will be towing for a while but we'll see what happens.
Bogie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 01:09 AM   #17

Bogie, Don't take this the wrong way but according to a few, you have to have a higher than average IQ to use an Acme dolly. I was told point blank that I wasn't intelligent enough to understand the genius of the Acme dolly.

Being the idiot I was told I was, I bought a Demco SS .

Old 10-03-2018, 11:45 AM   #18

Yeah, the dolly itself is well-built, other than the stock lights it came with that filled up with water so I had to replace them. I think there are just too many variables to make it a "perfect" solution. For those it works well for, that is great.

My first set of straps failed after about 300 miles of towing, it was rubbing somewhere. Second set remains to be seen, I fixed the rubbing problem, but it managed to completely pull one of the hooks off.

Crawling in the mud/rain to hook and unhook the safety chains hasn't been the greatest experience either. We'll see what happens when I pull the car down to Florida in December.
Bogie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie71 View Post

Crawling in the mud/rain to hook and unhook the safety chains hasn't been the greatest experience either.
I'm a former Acme tow dolly owner and I did that only once. I got under the car to attach the chains at my house, the first time I used the dolly. Fortunately it was a nice day without any mud or rain.

After I got the car off at my destination, I went to a nearby Harbor freight and after buying a combination of shackles and quick lines, I was able to loop the chain from the front tire stop through the wheels and back to the tire stop. That made using the chain much easier.

I got that idea from someone on this site, or another one that I visit.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:03 PM   #20

The top cross over of the strap needs to be at the 12 o'clock position. All the cross overs should face the center of the wheel before tightening.

The car will move around a bit, but you have excessive movement so something is not right. Also, there is no way for a hook to come loose unless it wasn't latched.

Do you have any photos of the car setup and ready to tow after you have put the straps on? It would be very helpful for others to diagnose your issue if the pre-tow setup can be seen. I used an EZE Tow for years and never experienced this type of problem so it may just be your initial installation of the straps.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problems, tow