Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2020, 07:10 PM   #85

Acme Tow Dolly Order Experience

I don’t know if this is of interest to you in your situation, but I had a pretty unpleasant experience when I dealt with Acme. Sorry this is a bit long.

On December 2nd 2019 I placed an order for an Acme Tow Dolly. I had conducted a great deal of research and believed their product to be the superior dolly available on the market. At the time I placed my order I was told it would be after the first of the year before my dolly could be built and shipped. I accepted that condition and placed my order. On the following day, (Dec. 3rd) my next door neighbor called and told me they were giving us their Blue Ox equipment for flat towing our vehicle behind our motor home. They had sold their motor home and no longer needed it. For this reason, I called Acme on December 4th and cancelled my order for the dolly. Since they had not even started building my dolly I didn’t see where that would be a problem.

I waited almost two weeks for the refund to post to my credit card, then called Acme again to see when the refund would be issued. I was instructed I needed to send an email requesting my order be cancelled and to request my refund. This was not specified when I called to cancel my order, but I complied and sent the cancellation email on Friday, December 13th.

On December 19th I received an email from Acme stating my refund had been processed, but a bank fee had been withheld in the amount of $54.33. I called and spoke to a very nice woman who stated it was not a credit card fee but a fee charged by their bank for issuing refunds. I explained I had never been charged such a fee when dealing with any other company when a credit card refund was involved (not that I have had that many refunds issued).

I decided to write an email to Acme detailing what was happening and asserting (in a nice, not belligerent way) that I expected a full refund. This was the owner’s response word for word. I copied and pasted his response.

“It is irrelevant what institution keeps the processing fee. Bottom line is we do not have your missing money. Why should we lose money because you are indecisive and decided to cancel your purchase ? How is that my fault ? Why should I suffer because of your indecisiveness ? Yes, I get it, your feelings are hurt. So what..... I am not cancelling your order and giving you my personal money because of it. Grow up guy..... its 2020. This is the real world.”

They may have a good product but their customer service stinks.
BamaBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2020, 07:22 PM   #86

That’s why I don’t deal with ACME! Their too busy dealing with Wile Coyote.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:25 PM   #87

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1126.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	275087Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1127.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	275088
Old 02-13-2020, 07:26 PM   #88

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Not so many mentions of Tow Master, but they do seem to be popular at most campgrounds for a dolly.

I've had my Tow Master for a number of years, and have few problems with it.

I will say I do like some of the other dollies mentioned in this thread, and if I ever have to buy a new one I'm going to research them all!

BTW, I replace my tire tie-down straps every two or so years.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:27 PM   #89

And when Wile orderers something he buys it. He needs every trick in the book!
Old 02-13-2020, 08:59 PM   #90

American tow dolly

American is a great dolly. Good price, excellent quality, and Gary will deliver it ready to go. Brakes work great and only $100 for a spare tire. I love mine.
Ellwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:19 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberskier View Post
<SNIP>I am sure that even buying a good tow bar and vehicle would be more cost effective than a dolly and vehicle....and you would not have the problem of storing that dolly in parks with only 50' spaces.
Had the car - $1k for dolly. Pretty easy to store the dolly in a 30ft long space as A) it can be stood up or B) I can back over it and it sticks out 2-3ft. C) I can back up with it. D) The front of the car is high enough to not get rock chips. E) No modifications had to be made to the car. F) I can tow other vehicles.

The car can be towed 4 down if I want. When I change cars, I don't have to go thru the hassle of buying/installing a new base plate.

To each their own. For now at least, the dolly works fine for us.
AudiDudi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:13 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarz272000 View Post
Been reviewing tow dolly options and come to a point of total frustration. Many dollies available at range of prices. However, none that fits all my needs. Sort of like buying an RV! Acme tow dolly definitely on top of list due to light weight, service response and cost.

* Delivered partially assembled. Looks like one has to bolt together front braces to complete, connect brake line and bleed. Rather have welded frame. This creates a maintenance issue checking bolt tightness.
* Can get it fully assembled, for a price of $300, but has to be picked up at factory. Factory 8-9 hours away. Nope.
* Can be delivered to a nearby site with loading dock or forklift. Fine but how do I get the partially build dolly home?
* Can be delivered to home but have to pay addition $175 plus original $249 delivery charge. Yikes! Can we use Amazon Prime?? LOL
* Five year warranty gone. Only get 6 month warranty. Have to pay $200-300 for more years. Not good nor competitive.!

Ron
I have an Acme. It came mostly assembled except I had to bolt on the fenders. I love the surge brakes. I wouldn’t want the electric brakes. I also like that the Acme will store vertically. No problems so far. I’ve had it about two years now and have towed two different vehicles.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:53 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushtrk99 View Post
Demco KAR KADDY is the way to go-at 75 we have used Demco dolly since 2010 with 3 different MHs and 5-6 front wheel cars, no problems, wheels on dolly steer going around corners instead of a plate-disc brakes-led lights, we think the only way to go, we upgrated 2 yrs ago to a brand new one because it folds for storage in the garage
Why not flat tow your vehicle, just get a Manual shifting car or truck no problems but if you want a Automatic then you need to have 4 wheel drive or 4x4 not AWD as they are not 4 wheel drive. When towing a 4x4 you put your car/truck in Park and the 4x4 in Neutral, next you set the braking system, cross your safety chains, Ther's probably more but it has been a while since doing this. We sold the large MH and now drive shorter and smaller to 24' get all around 15mpg sometimes more if on the flat but if driving all around or the whole trip of say 12,000miles then 15/16mpg.
Life has become simpler for the two of us.
Peter
studesrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:50 AM   #94

great dolly

I bought the ACME "EZE TOW" last year shipping was free delivered to my door truck had drop down lift. All I had to do was attach the fenders put brake fluid in the master cylinder and it has worked great. Probably could have gotten much nicer dolly if I wanted to spend lots of money. They have what ever you want ever out there if you got the money and time to hunt it down. But this one had all the features that were important to me.
tonyparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:08 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by studesrus View Post
Why not flat tow your vehicle, just get a Manual shifting car or truck no problems
Peter
A manual transmission may not be feasible for any number of reasons. In my case my wife can not drive a manual, so it was not a consideration. Also a 4 wheel drive manual transmission car may not be flat towable. The Dinghy towing guide says that at least one car (a Chevrolet Colorado 4 wheel drive manual) can not be flat towed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by studesrus View Post
if you want a Automatic then you need to have 4 wheel drive or 4x4 not AWD as they are not 4 wheel drive.
Not all 4 wheel drive vehicles can be flat-towed. We had a 2016 Jeep Renegade, Trail Rated (ie, 4 wheel drive) and it could not be flat towed because it had no transfer case.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:10 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBreeze View Post
They may have a good product but their customer service stinks.
That is pretty scary. Did you end up getting at least most of your money back? And did you think about challenging the charge on your credit card?
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:21 AM   #97

And the Kar Kaddy is Several Thousand More Dollars. Only for the rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoA36 View Post
Used to own the Acme but have replaced it with the Kar Kaddy SS. The Kar Kaddy is actually easier to maneuver than the Acme! And easier to set up as well. Good luck.
FL Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:32 AM   #98

Flat Tow

If you currently don’t have the vehicle that you want to tow, You may want to consider finding something you can flat tow. Everybody that I have spoken with that owns a tow dolly, purchased one because they had owned a car that could not be flat towed. We have a 2011 Jeep Liberty 4 WD that we flat tow.
forkman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly