RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-02-2020, 08:51 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 54
Acme Tow Dolly Good But...

Been reviewing tow dolly options and come to a point of total frustration. Many dollies available at range of prices. However, none that fits all my needs. Sort of like buying an RV! Acme tow dolly definitely on top of list due to light weight, service response and cost. Also, new design adds improvements to the dolly. However tried to order a new one and several deal breakers came up. It looks like they have taken up the airlines business model. Break up options and charge for each to make it appear flexible. Not.

* Delivered partially assembled. Looks like one has to bolt together front braces to complete, connect brake line and bleed. Rather have welded frame. This creates a maintenance issue checking bolt tightness.
* Can get it fully assembled, for a price of $300, but has to be picked up at factory. Factory 8-9 hours away. Nope.
* Can be delivered to a nearby site with loading dock or forklift. Fine but how do I get the partially build dolly home?
* Can be delivered to home but have to pay addition $175 plus original $249 delivery charge. Yikes! Can we use Amazon Prime?? LOL
* Five year warranty gone. Only get 6 month warranty. Have to pay $200-300 for more years. Not good nor competitive.

Also in looking for a vehicle to tow I find less available for a dolly. Many are going to AWD which cannot be towed on a dolly. Some have front wheel drive but you canít get all the good options with FWD.

Might look for used Acme or Demco Kar Kaddy.

The Ram 1500 Laramie towing a quality travel trailer is looking better every day!

Ron
__________________

Sarz272000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2020, 09:05 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
pushtrk99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: channahon il
Posts: 305
Blog Entries: 2
Demco KAR KADDY is the way to go-at 75 we have used Demco dolly since 2010 with 3 different MHs and 5-6 front wheel cars, no problems, wheels on dolly steer going around corners instead of a plate-disc brakes-led lights, we think the only way to go, we upgrated 2 yrs ago to a brand new one because it folds for storage in the garage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4220.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	274001  
__________________

pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:12 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushtrk99 View Post
Demco KAR KADDY is the way to go-at 75 we have used Demco dolly since 2010 with 3 different MHs and 5-6 front wheel cars, no problems, wheels on dolly steer going around corners instead of a plate-disc brakes-led lights, we think the only way to go, we upgrated 2 yrs ago to a brand new one because it folds for storage in the garage
Any issues with wheels hitting tow vehicle? How does one measure a potential vehicle so it doesnít hit on turns? What vehicles have you used?

Thanks for your feedback. I like the fold option too.

Ron
Sarz272000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:21 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Cooperhawk's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 5 miles south of Lakeville, Mn
Posts: 2,368
We tow four down now but previously we have owned and used Demco Dollys and were very happy with them.


I ordered them from PPL Motorhomes in Houston, Tx and they were drop shipped to our home. I had to attach the fenders, wheels, and tongue. The hardest part was getting the crate open.


Here's an example which I believe is their top of the line.


https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...addyss_94-6008
__________________
Jim and Carol Cooper with Oreo the Kitty
FAA ATC ret, VFW, AL, VVA, NRA
2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:24 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Cooperhawk's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 5 miles south of Lakeville, Mn
Posts: 2,368
Note: They do weigh 700 lbs. but the carrier that delivered it had a drop gate truck and set it on the ground right by my shop.
__________________
Jim and Carol Cooper with Oreo the Kitty
FAA ATC ret, VFW, AL, VVA, NRA
2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:30 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
pushtrk99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: channahon il
Posts: 305
Blog Entries: 2
We have towed 2003 ford focus,2000 ford ranger (stick shift) 2001 Jeep wrangler (stick shift) 2008 ford escape-2016 Kia Soul & 2006 Chevy Aveo and never was concerned with any fenders touching
pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:01 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 272
Consider American Car Dolly

I hear your frustration and I went through everything you have and then some before I bought the American Car Dolly. I am very happy with it and would buy again and have recommended it to several people.

Some points
Fully welded assembly square tubing steel used thru out.

Removeable ramps so no ramps hitting rockers and bottom of car

Easy to use ratchets to tighten straps (ratchets are at the outer edge of dolly and the straps wrap along a where you need them to be) BIG Plus in my book

On the "hook" end of straps you drop them in between the last 2 steel bars and slide them to where they are straight down.

Electric brakes ( maybe not as good as surge disc brakes but work well

pretty light weight about 450 lbs can be moved by myself pretty easily

store able at campsites slidetongue under rear of MH

Wide enough to avoid wheel strikes on sides of car

!!!! Free Delivery to your house and a lesson in use of it!!!!

If you do not have a brake controller installed in your MH they have a controller that mounts on the dolly and works from power of the brake light wiring so you don't have to install a controller up front

Built in Colorado if you call , you will get a person right away or shortly after ... Probably Gary the owner

Low to ground so lower profile cars are not a issue

Wheel bearings have a bearing buddy grease fitting few shots of grease ever 3k to 5k miles

You pay the man on delivery

I've had mine for years it goes ever time the MH leaves the yard. Put about 35000 miles on it still looks good does the job and tracks great. No worries about frame bolts etc

PRICE $1695.00 includes delivery

NOT affiliated with company just happy camper owner

https://americandolly.com/

.
__________________
2016 Precept 31uL ( the roving dog house)
Pack of pups (Ms Heidi Buddy &Bella)
I'm just the cook (and driver)
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:10 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
HenryRH3's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Williamsburg VA
Posts: 20
The Acme tow dolly is a solid well priced product, but it just did not suit me. Three of the first loads and unloads it was raining. What a mess. We towed my wifeís Mini Cooper. After two long trips I sold the Acme and had a Blue Ox installed with my Jeep Wrangler which we bought after we figured this would be a better fit. I canít say enough good things about the Blue Ox. I am hitched and unhitched in a manner of minutes, rain or not.
__________________
Chip & Cathy
Chantilly & Maja, mini bull terriers (terrorists)
2018 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH w/2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
HenryRH3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:06 PM   #9
NXR
Senior Member
 
NXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarz272000 View Post
Been reviewing tow dolly options and come to a point of total frustration. Many dollies available at range of prices. However, none that fits all my needs. Sort of like buying an RV! Acme tow dolly definitely on top of list due to light weight, service response and cost. Also, new design adds improvements to the dolly. However tried to order a new one and several deal breakers came up. It looks like they have taken up the airlines business model. Break up options and charge for each to make it appear flexible. Not.

* Delivered partially assembled. Looks like one has to bolt together front braces to complete, connect brake line and bleed. Rather have welded frame. This creates a maintenance issue checking bolt tightness.
* Can get it fully assembled, for a price of $300, but has to be picked up at factory. Factory 8-9 hours away. Nope.
* Can be delivered to a nearby site with loading dock or forklift. Fine but how do I get the partially build dolly home?
* Can be delivered to home but have to pay addition $175 plus original $249 delivery charge. Yikes! Can we use Amazon Prime?? LOL
* Five year warranty gone. Only get 6 month warranty. Have to pay $200-300 for more years. Not good nor competitive.

Also in looking for a vehicle to tow I find less available for a dolly. Many are going to AWD which cannot be towed on a dolly. Some have front wheel drive but you canít get all the good options with FWD.

Might look for used Acme or Demco Kar Kaddy.

The Ram 1500 Laramie towing a quality travel trailer is looking better every day!

Ron
OMG, that's horrible compared to just a year ago. I'll be selling my 2019 Acme in the Spring because a dolly is a bit tougher after shoulder surgery. I just gotta get this car back to NE Ohio first.

Ray
__________________
2020 Forest River Georgetown GT5 34H5
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:32 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 20,535
Shehl Tow dollys are sold by large hardware stores.

Enter your Zip code, find a dealer and touch, feel and pick the one you want.

My store sold me the proper drop ball adaptor and helped me hitch it up.

Towed a Kia Soul, Jeep Renegade, and now a Honda Ridgeline, the widest toad.

Did some sharp turns and no fender clearance issues.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:48 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Americanrascal's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: West Georgia
Posts: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsfla View Post
I hear your frustration and I went through everything you have and then some before I bought the American Car Dolly. I am very happy with it and would buy again and have recommended it to several people.

Some points
Fully welded assembly square tubing steel used thru out.

Removeable ramps so no ramps hitting rockers and bottom of car

Easy to use ratchets to tighten straps (ratchets are at the outer edge of dolly and the straps wrap along a where you need them to be) BIG Plus in my book

On the "hook" end of straps you drop them in between the last 2 steel bars and slide them to where they are straight down.

Electric brakes ( maybe not as good as surge disc brakes but work well

pretty light weight about 450 lbs can be moved by myself pretty easily

store able at campsites slidetongue under rear of MH

Wide enough to avoid wheel strikes on sides of car

!!!! Free Delivery to your house and a lesson in use of it!!!!

If you do not have a brake controller installed in your MH they have a controller that mounts on the dolly and works from power of the brake light wiring so you don't have to install a controller up front

Built in Colorado if you call , you will get a person right away or shortly after ... Probably Gary the owner

Low to ground so lower profile cars are not a issue

Wheel bearings have a bearing buddy grease fitting few shots of grease ever 3k to 5k miles

You pay the man on delivery

I've had mine for years it goes ever time the MH leaves the yard. Put about 35000 miles on it still looks good does the job and tracks great. No worries about frame bolts etc

PRICE $1695.00 includes delivery

NOT affiliated with company just happy camper owner

https://americandolly.com/

.
X2
70,000 miles, GA to AK and back, coast to coast 3X, FL to Canadian east coast x3 on every type of road imaginable. Towing a Focus forward and a Ranger backwards. Load it fast (best load time for DW and I as pit crew = 7 minutes and getting better) Had it 6 years and other than occasional maintenance (grease on bearings) there's nothing much to do. SOOOOOO glad we bought the American.
__________________
Joe a/k/a "Americanrascal"
2016 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q +tow dolly
8th RV to sit in our driveway in 39 years
Americanrascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:41 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarz272000 View Post
Been reviewing tow dolly options and come to a point of total frustration. Many dollies available at range of prices. However, none that fits all my needs. Sort of like buying an RV! Acme tow dolly definitely on top of list due to light weight, service response and cost. Also, new design adds improvements to the dolly. However tried to order a new one and several deal breakers came up. It looks like they have taken up the airlines business model. Break up options and charge for each to make it appear flexible. Not.

* Delivered partially assembled. Looks like one has to bolt together front braces to complete, connect brake line and bleed. Rather have welded frame. This creates a maintenance issue checking bolt tightness.
* Can get it fully assembled, for a price of $300, but has to be picked up at factory. Factory 8-9 hours away. Nope.
* Can be delivered to a nearby site with loading dock or forklift. Fine but how do I get the partially build dolly home?
* Can be delivered to home but have to pay addition $175 plus original $249 delivery charge. Yikes! Can we use Amazon Prime?? LOL
* Five year warranty gone. Only get 6 month warranty. Have to pay $200-300 for more years. Not good nor competitive.

Also in looking for a vehicle to tow I find less available for a dolly. Many are going to AWD which cannot be towed on a dolly. Some have front wheel drive but you canít get all the good options with FWD.

Might look for used Acme or Demco Kar Kaddy.

The Ram 1500 Laramie towing a quality travel trailer is looking better every day!

Ron
There has also been a recent price increase. You might want to check with American Tow Dolly (free delivery to your home, completely assembled, brakes included and a lesson how to use it included with the price) and Tow Smart Tow Dolly (stand up in your garage, shipped directly to your home fully assembled, brakes included). Those are the two at the top of my list. Both are shorter than the average dolly and can more easily fit into a garage. Tow Smart can be stood up and, at 7 feet in length, should stand up in any standard garage height. American is 8 feet in length and should also be able to stand up, or so I was told by Gary. I have no personal experience with either although I have ordered an American Tow Dolly and expect it sometime next week. *

As for Demco, a couple of comments. First is the price. It is very expensive at more than $4000. I am not suggesting it is not worth that price, but it is very expensive. Second is the weight. It is very heavy at more than 600 pounds. Third is the tongue weight. I tried picking up the tongue as a test to see how easy it would be to move it around at a campsite and decided that it was too heavy for me to move since my upper body strength is not what it used to be when I was younger.

It does include a lot fo stuff that might not be on other dollies but I was not convinced that it was worth the cost.

Your mileage may vary.

* As an aside I would like to thank @AmericanRascal for all of his help which allowed me to easily make my decision as to which dolly to order.
AJMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:05 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsfla View Post
.
.
.

I've had mine for years it goes ever time the MH leaves the yard. Put about 35000 miles on it still looks good does the job and tracks great. No worries about frame bolts etc
One (of many) questions I forgot to ask Gary when I ordered was whether or not the dolly came with a disconnect switch and system that would automatically stop the dolly and car if the dolly separated from the RV for some reason. Can you tell me?
AJMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:19 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Unplanned's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Posts: 3,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
One (of many) questions I forgot to ask Gary when I ordered was whether or not the dolly came with a disconnect switch and system that would automatically stop the dolly and car if the dolly separated from the RV for some reason. Can you tell me?
Do they all have to have a break-away braking system by law?

Happy Glamping.
__________________

__________________
Norman, 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Review of the ACME EZE-TOW Tow Dolly EZE Tow Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More) 39 05-06-2018 04:47 PM
Acme EZE-TOW Tow Dolly, news update..... EZE Tow Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More) 8 09-17-2014 02:38 PM
The Acme "EZE-TOW" Tow Dolly EZE Tow Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More) 60 07-28-2014 01:05 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×