Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2022, 01:53 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Advice: Hydralift vs. Swivelwheel

Does anyone have experience with either the Hydralift or Swivelwheel golf cart carriers? I’d be mounting one on a HR 40PLQ. The question I have about Hydralift is, since all of the weight of the lift and cart is born by the chassis, how this affects coach handling. I have requested the weight of the system installed from the company. My cart is right at their limit of 1100#. I’m guessing the total could approach 1500#. Does anyone know the maximum trailer tongue weight capacity of the coach. That should answer the question of whether the coach can handle the weight though it doesn’t say anything about handling.

In some ways I like the Swivelwheel more than the Hydralift since most of the weight of carrier and cart is carried by the swivel wheels. Both systems add length to my total of coach and toad, a Ford Expedition. I’ve asked Hydralift if the device clears the hood of the Expedition when in travel mode or if it would require a tow bar extension and what those added lengths are. I know the Swivelwheel adds 7’. This puts me at 68.5’ total. I wouldn’t care but I made the mistake of telling my wife about the 65’ rule and she’s a stickler for the rules. Another benefit of the Swivelwheel is I don’t have to disconnect the toad to roll the golf cart off. With the Hydralift the toad hitch would have to be removed before lowering the cart.
neoflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2022, 10:09 AM   #2

Your HR has a 10,000# towing capacity. That means a 1,000# tongue weight rating. You would exceed that by 50%. That's only part of the problem. 1500# that far back from the rear axle will leverage far more to the axle itself. You WILL exceed your rear axle rating and rear tire ratings. I did the same with a 1,000# bike on the back of a Phaeton with the same ratings. I was over the 20,000# rear axle and tires capacity. If you want to carry a golfcart on the back, the dolly unit is the only feasible and safe way to do it. Tell the wife that Law enforcement nationwide does not enforce the 65' rule on motorhomes. I've towed at 73' all over the central and western states. My son is 75' with a combined weight of 75,000# and has never been questioned. I've met people who traveled from NY to CA that were 80' long with stacker trailers and no problems. They did get a $15 seven day permit for CA
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 08:37 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Your HR has a 10,000# towing capacity. That means a 1,000# tongue weight rating. You would exceed that by 50%. That's only part of the problem. 1500# that far back from the rear axle will leverage far more to the axle itself. You WILL exceed your rear axle rating and rear tire ratings. I did the same with a 1,000# bike on the back of a Phaeton with the same ratings. I was over the 20,000# rear axle and tires capacity. If you want to carry a golfcart on the back, the dolly unit is the only feasible and safe way to do it. Tell the wife that Law enforcement nationwide does not enforce the 65' rule on motorhomes. I've towed at 73' all over the central and western states. My son is 75' with a combined weight of 75,000# and has never been questioned. I've met people who traveled from NY to CA that were 80' long with stacker trailers and no problems. They did get a $15 seven day permit for CA
Great answer. I’ll give it a shot.
Thanks
neoflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 06:10 AM   #4

Sounds like you are looking at the Swivelwheel model DW58. They rate it as able to tow a 6,000lb vehicle behind the swivelwheel. Are you sure your Expedition is below that number?

Installation of the swivelwheel is not trivial. It uses two additional receiver hitches installed on the back of the motorhome. A shop must fabricate and weld up the installation of the two receivers.

I personally would not be comfortable towing a very heavy vehicle on a tow bar that is extended 5 feet back behind the motorhome. This gives a very heavy weight a very long lever with which to apply forces to the motorhome chassis. The designers of the chassis never anticipated such large bending forces being applies to it, and that makes me uncomfortable.
Shadow5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 09:05 PM   #5

The Hydralift will not use your hitch receiver so it's about the weight on the rear axle.

This will give you a rough idea of the loading on your rear axle" https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/...iagramrev2.pdf

You'll see just how the cantilever multiplies the load. The additional load on the back can translate to less weight on the front axle.

As for the issue of length. My rig is 40 feet and I have a motorcycle on the back on a lift, a Honda CRV behind that with two ebikes on the back of the car. I exceed 65 feet. We've been traveling full time, through 28 states for over two year now and have never been stopped. Police usually have way more important things to do than to stop an RV towing as long as your aren't driving like a nut or a drunk.

Yes, it certainly can effect handling especially if it effects ride height.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200719_111029714.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	308.0 KB
ID:	379825  
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 12:51 PM   #6
PKI

This proposal is beyond my sense of propriety. However, when I golf, it is walking with a push cart. So, that significantly influences my opinion.

My first thought is that it would be appropriate to leave the toys at home. However, I understand that having a golf cart can be a good method of transportation when a road car is not needed. Additionally, a road car will always be needed for touring and emergency transport.

Consequently I understand the desire to take the toys.

Thoughts:

- 1) what is the cost of a lift and a swivel wheel trailer? How many seasons will it take to offset that cost with rental fees for the toys?

- 2) what would be the difficulty of taking a mobility scooter that could be carried in the Toad, in place of the golf cart?

- 3) the standard solution is to tow a pickup and carry the golf cart in the bed of the truck. Is the cost of the lift or swivel wheel better invested in trading toads?

Good luck with your final solution.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 02:14 PM   #7

The cost of bringing along toys is just part of the big picture. It all depends on how much you value your toys. We used to carry our Goldwing on the back of our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. I installed the Hydralift on the back and it worked absolutely flawlessly. We did it for over 8000 miles and two years and ZERO issues with handling, tires, nothing. But, even though we were severely over the GAWR of the rear axle, coach rode the exact same height as it did without any additional weight added to the rear.

But, as time went on, we changed our "M.O" as the Cops say. We decided to purchase a pickup and put a Rampage lift in the back when we wanted to carry our Goldwing along on a trip. That was 9 years ago and we're still doing it that way today. I let the truck carry all the weight now. The Rampage sits on it's own cart when not in use. When it comes time to load it, it's rolled up to the truck and slid into the back and bolted down. The whole process takes a whopping 3-5 minutes. Loading our new 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT takes right at 10 minutes start to finish. Yep, the cost of bringing along toys is just part of the game.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice