Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2010, 03:48 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Advice needed for towing a vehicle with my RV

Happy Holidays to all of you!

Here's my question. I have a 1997 Fleetwood Storm 34' 460 Ford Chasis.

I would very much like to be able to tow a vehicle behind it and am looking for a vehicle right now. Because of our family situation, a 4-door mid sized pickup is what I'm leaning toward. (2009 Nissan Frontier).

I've read a few reports and it looks like I should be able to do this. My motorhome runs great, low miles, etc. and I don't see us pulling the pickup extremely long distances...200 miles or so for the most part.

I'm looking for someone that has experienced something similar in terms of RV, towed vehicle, etc.

Any and all advice is most graciously welcomed.

Thanks in advance.
dan
olifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2010, 04:08 PM   #2

Dan: I towed a 20' enclosed trailer with a race car in it behind a 27 foot Chevy chassis with no problems. (Well, there was the fire but that's another story).

I recently bought a 31' Ford chassis and it feels much more substantial than the Chevy chassis. I suspect you will have no problems towing. Make sure you have a good hitch (class IV?) attached to the frame rails.

John
amxerhull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Check the hitch rating on your motorhome first...many are 3500# hitches and some are 5000#. This does not determine the towing capacity of the motorhome. You meed the GCWR for the motorhome and the actual loaded weight.

GCWR - loaded weight = maximum load you can tow.

Also, you will need to make sure the Frontier is towable 4 wheels down. Check with REMCO Towing for what is required to set it up for towing. Next you will need to install auxiliary brakes in the dinghy and a break away system.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:20 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
2 major issues you need to remember..1 is most old gas rigs were pretty under braked so make sure you use an aux brake...2 make sure your truck or any toad will not weigh more that the towing capacity of the coach or hitch, so don't exceed GcVW and hitch limit..I had a 94 adventurer that was at 4,000# hich but almost any toad would have exceeded gcvw
clubmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #5

Presently we have a 34'Mallard A-Class [were switching to a fiver next april] hauling a 98' Jeep Grand Cherokee behind on all fours with a reese folding tow bar. It started by buying the car,it has a manual transfer case and i thought the four door/hatchback was perfect for family camping giving seating as well as cargo capacity i also built a tray to hold my full size BBQ with a bike rack to hang off the hitch in back of the jeep.Now off i go to the filthy crook,i mean local RV dealer who quoted me $4700 CAN for the blue ox set-up,yeah right!!! While at Canadian tire i saw the Reese Folding Tow bar and connection plates rated at 5000lbs. at $350,'nuff said! After perusing the Royce jeep repair manual honerable son #1 and i removed the front clip and bolted/welded the plates to the frame horns wich were conveniatly located behind the bumper boxes wich i made removable,installed metal plates for the safety chains and Bob's yer' uncle! I had a buddy of mine hook up the wiring with 7 pin connectors and the thing worked flawlessly over several years. All in all the whole she-bang [incuding sonny's box of carona] cost less than $500 CAN.

Red Green:
Spare the Duct Tape, Spoil the job.
MPI_Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:25 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Regardless of the type of toad. Towing is one thing. Stopping is another. Do not think of towing without a brake system of some sort. I use TST but search this site FMI.

Good luck!
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:42 AM   #7
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,

Hey Dan I agree 100000000000000000% with others on some sort of toad brake system! I also say look at jeeps they make great toads and are also fun!! Best of luck with what ever you end up with, also
Old 12-29-2010, 05:14 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks everyone!

I greatly appreciate the input. I am purchasing a 2008 Nissan Frontier crew cab as my toad. I will definitely install the correct aux. braking system recommended here. My wife will be happier riding co-captain in lieu of driving separate.... As for me.... Happy New Year everyone!!!!
olifer is offline   Reply With Quote