Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2020, 10:51 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Advice on good installation / price?

My Forrester Class C motor coach should be ready soon. I have a brand new 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara that I want to tow. I'm already thinking about getting things set up and have a few questions for anyone here that would be willing to pass along advice:

I called my local Camping World. They wish to sell me:
Falcon All-Terrain tow bar, receiver, hidden brackets, & Invisibrake system which includes a trickle charger to take care of the batteries. With labor and supplies, the quote is just shy of $5000 and that is with a Good Sam membership.

Is this what you all would expect to pay to get set up? Seems awfully expensive.
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2020, 11:54 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I paid close to $4k for a similar install. 2017 Sunseeker GTS and 2017 Jeep GC. I got the Roadmaster sterling 8k tow bar, invisibrake, base plate, removable quick connects, crossbar, kit including covers and locks, mechanical and electrical installation and setup.

Be advised the tow bar you mentioned is a 6k tow bar. I think you could do better on the price at a trailer shop. Consider opting for a higher rated tow bar. The invisibrake works very well for my setup.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:18 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles L View Post
I paid close to $4k for a similar install. 2017 Sunseeker GTS and 2017 Jeep GC. I got the Roadmaster sterling 8k tow bar, invisibrake, base plate, removable quick connects, crossbar, kit including covers and locks, mechanical and electrical installation and setup.

Be advised the tow bar you mentioned is a 6k tow bar. I think you could do better on the price at a trailer shop. Consider opting for a higher rated tow bar. The invisibrake works very well for my setup.
Thanks Charles! I'm new to this. Is the 8k vs 6k tow bar basically rating the weight limit i.e. 6000 vs 8000 pounds?
Old 08-07-2020, 12:24 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes it gives a bit more strength and is rated for an 8000 lb tow. My Jeep is about 5000 lbs. The sterling is also anti binding for easier hookup and unhooking. It may be overkill but is only about $250.00 more. You can check out a lot of tow bars and braking systems on www.etrailer.com.

BTW I am pretty new at this also. Now I have 8000 miles under my belt going cross Country VA to OR/Ca back to VA. Including going through Yellowstone via Chief Joseph scenic Hwy. It all worked great much better/easier than using a tow dolly.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:07 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It's expensive to set these things up. You obviously need a tow bar. I'm a fan of Roadmaster and their base plates. Before you run out and buy one, check Craigslist and other websites, as people sell them quite often. You might just get lucky. A friend picked up a Roadmaster All Terrain three weeks ago for $250.00. It was like new.

The base plates you'll typically have to buy new. Again, I like Roadmaster. They offer two styles, one hidden setup, the only kind I buy and one with a large crossmember that allows you to mount other equipment to it, like a tow shield.

You'll need to wire the lights, but I would hold off on a charge line, to see if it's needed. When it comes to braking systems, there are several on the market.

There is a less expensive way to go. It's a Ready Brute Tow Bar and brake system all in one. It has a surge brake built into the tow bar. This system can save you some money.

Lastly, Camping World is the last place I would have do an install. They just don't pay well enough to get/retain good technicians. You can search for a local shop or call Roadmaster or whatever base plate you buy and ask who is a local installer of their product.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:29 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you're not afraid of buying used and doing some work yourself, I just picked up a used Demco Excalibar towbar rated for 8K for $200 off craigslist! The Trailhawk base plate new was $350 then did the install myself. Total cost, including a Hopkins wire kit, new fasteners for the tow bar was about $625. I have a lead on a used AF1 braking system for $750 ($1385.00 new) which I hope to get this weekend.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:55 PM   #7

I bought everything I needed except baseplate used(bought an aluminum bumper to save a little weight and mount my winch in) and installed it myself. Some people don't like buying used but I don't mind saving a few bucks.
The price you were quoted seems high to me and I don't see why you even need a trickle charger but I'm not fimilar with that braking system. I just towed my Jeep for two days without starting it or unplugging the brake controler(forgot the first night) when I stopped the first night and it was fine when I did go to use it.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:36 PM   #8
EJW

Based on another thread I asked my RV mechanic for a ballpark flat towing cost. The price he gave to me was ~$4,000 (probably a little more) for a similar system.

We have a Class C and Chevy Traverse, so a somewhat similar setup.

Enjoy your new coach!! Good luck!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
EJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:00 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just had our 2020 jeep Cherokee trailhawk setup. It cost $3200
They used a roadmaster all terrain towbar roadmaster base plate, diode tail light harness and a NSA ready brake. I would check around on price. Smaller mom and pop shops usually have lower hourly shop rates. Also price check using etrailer.
https://www.etrailer.com/

NSA READY brake link
https://nsatowbars.com/collections/r...he-ready-brake
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:25 PM   #10

I purchased a used CR-V last month with all the the equipment you mentioned installed. It cost the seller 4500 5 years ago from Camping World. 5grand seems to be the going rate these days. I have a electrical shutoff as well. Good luck.
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:21 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
I went online and hunted down a Blue Ox Aventa II Class 4 receiver rated at 10,000 lbs. It was from an estate sale and I got it for $160 cash. So, that should shave about $1000 off right there.

I'm cleaning it up and besides the usage marks and road grime it looks in pretty decent shape. Weighs about 50lbs.

I've got a line on a local custom hitch shop that was recommended by an RV repair business. However, it looks like our Class C is taking its sweet time getting built so no rush I suppose. But you guys just saved me a ton of $$$. And for that I thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200808_115521.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	303.6 KB
ID:	296394   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200808_115530.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	296395  

Old 08-08-2020, 03:01 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Sorry should have said tow bar, not receiver.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:41 PM   #13
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJeff View Post
I went online and hunted down a Blue Ox Aventa II Class 4 receiver rated at 10,000 lbs.
That's a discontinued product. Do you have any idea how old yours is? I think Blue Ox will only service them until they get to eight (or maybe ten?) years old and then they recommend replacement.

The install manual is dated January 2011 but I do not know when it was discontinued.

Ray
Old 08-09-2020, 09:57 AM   #14

Don’t know where you are located in Texas or what your preference is in braking system. But you might want to consider M&G Engineering in Athens, Tx. We had them install Blue Ox Base Plate, Brake System And purchased remaining Tow items and price was considerably less.
RLCASC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, install