Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #1

Advice On Tow Vehicle

We recently purchased our first motor home after having 3 5th Wheels. My problem is what type of tow vehicle to buy. It definately has to be a small pickup with an Automatic Transmmission. 2 or 4 wheel drive not a big factor. I see a lot of vehicles being towed behind motor homes so either they are towable or were modified in some way. Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated.
Gary801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
You need to do a little homework. I assume you want to tow '4 down,' meaning without a tow dolly. Automatic transmission is generally NOT towable, but some newer models can be towed, you'll need to check the manufacturer. All manual transmissions are usually towable. Auto Trans can be made towable with addition of a circulating pump for the tran, about $500 plus installation. Another option is a drive shaft disconnect, Remco is a leader in that. (rear wheel drive) A 4 wheel drive with a transfer case that can be switched to neutral is usually towable, but some with electronic shift transfer cases can't be.

A couple of links:

Dinghy Towing and Dinghy Guide

Towing 4 Wheels Down - Vehicles You Can and Can Not Tow 4 Wheels Down:

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Home | Remco Towing

You can check on that link if the vehicle you want to tow needs to be modified. They sell all the parts to modify toads.

However, I checked on there and it told me no Miata, standard or automatic of any year, can be towed 4 down. I know several people who tow the manual with no problem. I've towed my 91 Miata 10,000 miles with no problems.
So take their advice with a grain of salt.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I've towed my 91 Miata 10,000 miles with no problems. So take their advice with a grain of salt.
HI Arch...

How are y'all doing? Still towing the Miata?

I upgraded from my silver 2000 that I had towed 35,000 miles to a new Miata Retractable Hardtop that I have now towed 7,000 miles and we're taking off on Saturday for Miatas in Moab (UT), a gathering of over 300 Miatas. That will add another 3,000+ miles to the clock.

Hope you and yours are well.

Tim

Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:56 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Send a message via Skype™ to mjwest
Understand your dilemma. There's not much help out there. We searched and searched for an answer when we bought our MH. Finally settled on a GMC Terrain. Works well and the only thing we had to do is pull one fuse before towing. There is a document (Dinghy Guide rv tow 2011.pdf) that you can search for that helped us out a lot. Still have to make sure you are using the right info but it helped us. Good luck.
mjwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:08 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
@Tim... Doing great. Couldn't do Moab due to a trip we are doing now with my cousin.

Usually pull the Lexus now, more comfortable. Did take it to San Diego last year for the rally there.

What did your owners manual say about towing on that nice new NC? Nice car!!
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote