Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2023, 07:44 PM   #1

After market Jeep bumper compatible with Blue Ox base plate

Currently towing 17 Wrangler with Blue Ox base plate and Ready Brute tow bar. I am wanting to change out the factory plastic bumper. I don't want to tow off of an after market bumper due to the angle of the tow bar and strength of the welded on recovery points. Recent post shows a LoD bumper failing, which is rated for towing. It looks like most bumpers mount to the frame horns, while the base plates mounts to the side of the frame. Any one replaced there front bumper while still using there Blue Ox base plate and what brand bumper.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2023, 07:59 PM   #2

The tow bar mounts to the side of the frame rail. The bumper mounts end of the frame rail on flat ends. Probably a name for them.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 02:46 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
When I saw your post, I immediately remembered that recent post about tearing the metal out of that bumper.....glad you saw that.

With that said, if you find a bumper you like with tow hooks, it wouldn't be a tough job to have a plate added to the back of the bumper behind the tow hooks and then bolted to the frame. A muffler/hitch shop could do it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 02:51 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't know about the BO base plate, but I have a Demco base plate with an aftermarket steel bumper mounted above it. I did have to slightly enlarge two of the holes in the frame horns so the bumper could set on top of the base plate, but that may or may not apply to your BO base plate. I too was concerned about towing from the bumper so went with the base plate that attaches to the sides of the frame, plus it has breakaway cables that wrap around the frame cross member. The bumper is a generic bought from eBay and not a name brand.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 02:54 PM   #5

The only one I know that is approve by Blue Ox is Rock Hard
https://www.rockhard4x4.com/Jeep_Tow...kets_s/416.htm
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 03:06 PM   #6

If you are looking for a frame mounted tow system you may also look at the Maximus 3 tow loops. I went through many headache's (ok hell) with Maximus 3 (and others did as well) while they got it right. First gen loops were only 5/8" thick & now are 3/4". Install instructions were modified to go through FRAME. Pic below is one of my loops installed with 4 bolts through the actual frame. Install is very robust, loops are very robust, and mount below bumper. I'm using my OE bumper on my 21 JL. Other illustration is showing the welded on piece of flat steel (in gold) that is there for OE bumper mount. Definitely not the "frame". Sounds like you are already up on not towing from this bumper mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maximus 3 finished install.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	367.5 KB
ID:	395010   Click image for larger version

Name:	bumper illustration.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	395011  

twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 05:10 PM   #7

Check out the Rockjock base plates that mount under the bumper. Dumb stupid one person install in about an hour. Mounts directly to Blue Ox tow bar.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 07:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVThunder View Post
Check out the Rockjock base plates that mount under the bumper. Dumb stupid one person install in about an hour. Mounts directly to Blue Ox tow bar.
BVThunder... I have the RockJock base plate under a factory OEM plastic bumper on a 2017 Rubicon. I'm looking to get an aftermarket front bumper that will accommodate a winch. So I have basically the same question Andy is asking but a little more specific. What front bumper do you have on your 2012 ?

I agree the hook up on the RockJock with Blue Ox bars is supper simple and easy.
knjobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 04:05 AM   #9

Rockhard bumpers are the best solution I have found for towing my Jeep. Rockhard makes tow brackets for several towbars that bolt on to the face of the bumper through the frame horns. They are expensive, but they are first quality, American made, winch ready, and also extend so that the factory skid plate can be removed. I recently ordered a Rockhard bumper for my new (to me) Jeep and I found the cheapest place to order from was Rockhard. Rubitrux in Boone, NC and Quadratech also sell Rockhard products.

Install story: https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/f...06/post-617563
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 06:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by knjobrien View Post
BVThunder... I have the RockJock base plate under a factory OEM plastic bumper on a 2017 Rubicon. I'm looking to get an aftermarket front bumper that will accommodate a winch. So I have basically the same question Andy is asking but a little more specific. What front bumper do you have on your 2012 ?

I agree the hook up on the RockJock with Blue Ox bars is supper simple and easy.
Oh crap! I need to update my signature. Don't have the '12 anymore. It had a Tomkin custom bumper with the Blue Ox hardpoints built in. My '23 has the factory steel. Since the RockJock simply replaces the factory skid plate with additional attachment to the frame, it should work with most any winch and mounting options. Call RockJock and ask them your questions.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox, jeep