Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2018, 08:15 AM   #1

Air Force One

Getting an AFO installed today. Is the sensor light in the toad sufficient or is wiring it to the coach driver’s area better? If the brakes get stuck in the on mode it would take a few minutes to notice it by watching the rear view camera.
Breezy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2018, 08:40 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
When I installed mine, I ran a line to the drivers area, and
put in a red led light to confirm when the brakes are applied.
I would recommend doing so to anyone without reservation.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:44 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I also ran the red light to the dash. You only need to run one wire. I've heard many say that they can see the light by looking in the camera. I've got a great camera and I'm sure if I hunted for a moment or two I could probably see it, but that's not safe to me. The red light on my dash can be seen without even looking down.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:45 AM   #4

Just installed Air Force One on our 18 Durango. The only way the brake can stick on is with air pressure from motor home. After towing with Roadmaster Even Brake for 15 years and not having an issue with brakes sticking and just not wanting to carry unit with us decided at this time to go with on the back of review mirror light. Would be interested if any AFO users have had problems with brakes on tow stick on?
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:14 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I tried the stick on light when I first installed but found it difficult to see in my camera. Luckily a PO already had a wire ran and the light in the dash. Once I found that I added the pressure switch and wired it to the dash light. Works much better and is readily visible. When I installed the M&G on the Jeep I purchased the same pressure switch from SMI and hooked up the same way.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:48 PM   #6

Thanks all. Spartan runs a brake controller wire up to the dash from the trailer plug so installing this light (to the right of speedometer) was easy by the installer. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3197.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	352.5 KB
ID:	200220
Breezy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:01 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Breezy2006"....You'll like having the light there. When I'm all connected, a quick push on the coach brakes, the light comes on and I know I'm good to go with my braking system.

Side note.....Keep an eye on your toad's front brakes/wheels. I've towed three trucks with the Air Force One unit and never an issue. For a short time, I towed a Honda CRV. On the CRV, I noticed excessive brake dust while towing. I also noticed the dash light coming on sooner than the trucks did. The solution.....I loosened the cable under the dash so that the brakes came on a little later.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
air