Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2020, 05:02 PM   #1

Air Force One Question

I drove with the AFO installed on the motorhome side for a couple of weeks now, and no problems.

This past week, I had the AFO installed on the toad, and today I hooked up and did a test drive for about 15 miles before we take off next week for a month.

All seemed well except for what I would call excessive air discharge (there probably is a better and/or standard term for the sound you get when you set the parking brake).

At any rate, when not towing, I only hear the sound while braking and maybe occasionally during driving.

Today, while towing, it was happening much more frequently (maybe every couple of minutes while driving).

So, is this normal when towing with an AFO, or do you think there might be a problem?

Thanks in advance!
nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2020, 05:40 PM   #2

If you mean that sound like air escaping. That is your dryer. If it discharges often it may be due to an old or clogged air dryer filter.

Do you know the last time that was changed or serviced?
Old 07-18-2020, 05:54 PM   #3

First thing Monday morning I would call Demco and seek their advice. I've got an older AFO and it operates a bit differently than the newer version but when I ask for help moving the AFO from old towed to my new one they were very responsive.

I assume the towed brakes operate normally when the AFO is not connected to the coach. But you need to make sure.

If push comes to shove and you can't get it resolved before your trip I would forego brakes on the towed while towing unless you are going to be in areas with steep and long downgrades. Of course, this is not the best solution.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:35 PM   #4

Mark D, it's a new Phaeton, so I hope it doesn't need servicing yet!

Phays, I agree with calling Demco on Monday. And, yes all seems fine on the towed vehicle.

Thanks!
nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:46 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Just a thought. Possible air leak on the toad side. Compressor runs until it reaches pressure then releases air. If air was leaking it would run come up to pressure over and over.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:53 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I suspect that bdpreece is on the right track. Air leak in the air umbilical to the toad or in the toad itself (the AFO unit).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:50 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Did you feel your toad wheels for excess heat when you stopped?
Old 07-20-2020, 09:40 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Did you feel your toad wheels for excess heat when you stopped?
I have a reason for asking this question.

I had a legit company install my AF1 system in my toad. They ran a long self tapping screw through the floorboard, right into the toad brake vacuum booster!!
Totally destroyed the toads brakes!
Old 07-21-2020, 02:30 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Check the one way vacuum line valves on the toad install.

The toad install requires that you cut the brake booster vacuum line, attach a "T" and then run a line to the AF1 black box mounted under the hood of the toad. There are two one way valves included in the AF1 kit. One goes in the vacuum line between the AF1 box and the toad vacuum booster hose and the other goes in the OEM vacuum booster hose. If you didn't install them or installed them backwards, this could be your issue.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air