Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:14 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_dk View Post
Purchase a Diehard jump starter with a 12v outlet and never look back.

The Brake Buddy ran our toad battery down three or four times. Once I was in turn off and needed to do a 180, toad was in a bind and hard to disconnect, finally got in loose only to learn the toad battery was dead....enough.

Bought a portable battery jump start with an air compressor. Turns out to be a better decision than I had first thought. I am sure the compressor won't have enough power for the coach tires, but seems like I am using it much more than I ever thought. My bicycles, toad tires, neighbors tow dolly, etc.

I don't know why, but I can easily get two days out of it between charges....never could using toad battery.

Pretty simple, I remove the Brake Buddy, stow it in a basement compartment, then remove the battery booster, stow it in another compartment, with a small extension cord, to charge it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2016, 07:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
The Brake Buddy ran our toad battery down three or four times. Once I was in turn off and needed to do a 180, toad was in a bind and hard to disconnect, finally got in loose only to learn the toad battery was dead....enough.

Bought a portable battery jump start with an air compressor. Turns out to be a better decision than I had first thought. I am sure the compressor won't have enough power for the coach tires, but seems like I am using it much more than I ever thought. My bicycles, toad tires, neighbors tow dolly, etc.

I don't know why, but I can easily get two days out of it between charges....never could using toad battery.

Pretty simple, I remove the Brake Buddy, stow it in a basement compartment, then remove the battery booster, stow it in another compartment, with a small extension cord, to charge it.
Works like a charm! My electric Bay has a 110v plug. I plug in the Diehard and my Towmate wireless lights. Problems solved!
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:09 AM   #17

I would first test for parasitic draw in the toad. Even if you install a separate wire from the battery to a cig lighter receptacle for the toad brake. Your toad may be drawing too much current from the starting battery when the engine is off.

A wire from the MH's battery to a toad battery is not actually a power or charging connection it's mainly allows your MH to trickle charge a toad's battery while the MH engine is running. A trickle charge can take up to days to charge a battery. So if your toad battery is not at full capacity trickle charging may not do alot of good especially if there is too much parasitic draw.

This is a common problem with many vehicles, especially modern vehicles from the factory with all the additional electronics. Also other axillary devices installed in a vehicle potentially drain starting batteries when the engine is off.

What I would do is test for any parasitic draw and test your toads starting battery to determine if the toad's battery is good and also test the Mh's (trickle) charge line. I also use a load tester on all my batteries. As starting and rv/marine batteries sometimes test ok only when not cranking.

How to Find a Parasitic Battery Drain: 9 Steps (with Pictures)

My toad I have two batteries, a starting and aux, with separate circuits and fuse boxes. I keep all my axillary equipment so it works off a separate system. Trying to combined aux device with modern vehicle OE electronics imo is a bad idea. Down the road increases the likely hood of problems occurring, plus if you keep your aux device separate from your OE electrical (which includes vehicle computers, switches, relays, sensors, etc) significantly helps when diagnosing and troubleshooting.

Minimally with only a starting battery you should run separate aux. wiring with fuses. (Some modern vehicles come with a cig adapter(s) that are suppose to run directly from the starting battery. However I never trust them as their usually integrated somehow into the OEM's wiring.)

Modern vehicles aren't like older cars from the 50's (which I've owned and worked on) where their electrical wiring is mostly battery, ignition, vehicle lighting and a radio.
user293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:00 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Thanks to everyone for their input. My wife usually sets the Brake Buddy up. First to turn the car to accessory, get the car in neutral, then the car computer gets the transmission ready for towing. Then she would charge the BB up. This left the additional electronics on. They would stay on until the battery started to get low, then they would power down. By this time it probably was too late. After we got home, my wife was re-reading the Ford manual and she noticed that it states to turn the accessory position off after the transmission is set for towing.

We are having the motorhome in to the dealer to have a leak in our hydraulic storage tank fixed. After we get it back and go on our next trip, we will shut off the accessory position and see if that changes anything. This time I'll bring my portable battery booster to start the car if the battery still goes dead. I believe AAA only allows so many service calls for the same problem before they start charging you.

This forum is wonderful, full of knowledgeable RV'ers that are willing to help out. Merry Christmas to everyone.
RayDK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, power