Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2015, 04:51 AM   #1

Another stupid question by a newbie about towing a vehicle

So far my towing decisions have been poor, I started by purchasing a toad that can not be towed unless it is on a trailer. I am considering buying a 16 foot aluminum car hauler to trailer my jeep renegade on. I will be under the towing capacity of the vehicle and tongue weight. My next question is concerning the auto level feature on the RV. will i have to disconnect the trailer any time i meed to level the motorhome? I assume I will as this would increase the stress on the hitch and the trailer but this would kind of defeat the purpose of having the auto level, also i assume that any type of tow method would have to be discontinued if you needed to level the coach.

thanks in advance for any and all input.
Salt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2015, 05:22 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I never had to disconnect a trailer or any tow vehicle when leveling.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:28 AM   #3
Community Administrator

I didn't disconnect my toad if it was for a short over night stay on a fairly level site. Anything other than a fairly level site would cause undue stress and I'd avoid doing that .
Pay me now or pay me later is a motto I follow ( old Fram oil filter Comm'l )

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:40 AM   #4

You will for sure have more weight on the rear with that trailer.

What I would do is is manual level the coach. Try to start out in as level a site as you can --then try to keep the back of the coach as close to where it is as possible.

Put your back jacks down first. Then your front. In other words put as little pressure on jacks as possible.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:50 AM   #5

When you level the motorhome, if the back raises, the trailer tongue hitch coupler will merely move on the ball and the tires on the trailer will roll to accommodate the new angle. Sort of like what happens as you drive down the road and you are going through up/down elevation changes or entering/leaving a driveway . No or very little additional pressure will be on the hitch unless you are on an extreme angle.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:04 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
No worries, no need to disconnect. Unless leaving the trailer connected creates such an angle that it becomes to difficult to unload/load your vehicle onto or off of the trailer. We've towed trailers and cars for over 10 years now and have never had to disconnect either while set up at camp, and that includes a 16' trailer and our current toad.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:23 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Trade in the toad and eliminate a lot of headaches!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt72 View Post
So far my towing decisions have been poor, I started by purchasing a toad that can not be towed unless it is on a trailer. I am considering buying a 16 foot aluminum car hauler to trailer my jeep renegade on. I will be under the towing capacity of the vehicle and tongue weight. My next question is concerning the auto level feature on the RV. will i have to disconnect the trailer any time i meed to level the motorhome? I assume I will as this would increase the stress on the hitch and the trailer but this would kind of defeat the purpose of having the auto level, also i assume that any type of tow method would have to be discontinued if you needed to level the coach.
thanks in advance for any and all input.
Salt72
IMO if the tongue weight of your loaded trailer does not exceed the tongue weight rating of the hitch on your coach you can safely and successfully level the coach with the on-board leveling system of the coach, with the loaded trailer connected.

BTW, there is no such thing as a stupid question..
(but I often read some stupid answers).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:38 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Trade in the toad and eliminate a lot of headaches!

X2

Dick
Old 11-27-2015, 08:48 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
They put limits on the towing weights so the extremes will not put you and your load in danger while under way. I doubt there is any way you will exceed those limits while parked unless you put the trailer and hitch in an extreme bind. That hitch ball is round and slick and will rotate as needed until it causes the flat parts of the hitch and the tongue to come together it should never be a problem. If there would be a problem, I would think it would be the added weight on the leveling jacks. If you exceed their capacity you would start by blowing the jacks seals before anything would happen to that trailer hitch. I would do it!
Old 11-27-2015, 09:04 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
X3 on Joe's ideal.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:32 PM   #12

I have another vehicle that I can use for a road a Chevy Equinox which I can tow on a dolly but I want to have a 4 wheel drive with me for snow. I am going to probably give the jeep to my son in June for his 16th birthday and try to find an older jeep that is 4 wheel drive I can tow 4 down
Salt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:10 PM   #13

Don't think it can get any easier than towing a TJ aroundClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1449457800.698278.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	113566

96 Bounder 36S 460. Pulling as many quads as I can fit on the trailer or get started!

Tags
towing, newbie, tow