Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2015, 04:58 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Another Toad Charge Line Question

Several years ago I bought a Toad Charge system thinking that I needed one. I didn't, and it has sat on my shelf unused ever since.

I have a new toad, and I do need a charge line on this one. I want to use the 12v line on my MH's 7-pin connector. I'll have a 6-pin connector at the toad.

I also want to make use of the regulator and breaker from the Toad Charge system that I already have.

Looking at the below diagram from the Toad Charge manuf, I'm thinking I'll move the breaker to the toad side just after the 6-pin connector, and then ground the ground wire from the regulator on the chassis vice running it back to the tow bar as illustrated.

Will that work?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ToadCharge Diagram.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	112153  
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2015, 05:26 AM   #2

USMCRET-

First off, you do not have to use a Toad Charge at all. There are other folks on these forums that would tell you that, if I hadn't done so now. That said, I did use one in my installation.

Secondly, depending on how your coach is wired (speaking for "wyorancher" here), you may need some form of diode between your coach and toad, to prevent feedback of 12V from the toad to the coach circuits. The Toad Charge does provide that function, but so does a diode by itself.

Now, to your question. The circuit breaker is there to protect the wiring from starting a fire should it short to ground. It's supposed to be installed as near the battery as possible. You should not move it to the toad. The charge line must be fused or have a circuit breaker at each end to be safe.

What you want to do, which is use a charge line that may already be in your coach's wiring, is a great idea, and my preferred way of doing things. If your coach has a charge line (you say it does), then you should trace it back to the battery. On some coaches there's already a circuit breaker or fuse in the charge line, near the coach battery. In that case, you have the option of installing only the Toad Charge itself, and not installing the circuit breaker or two-conductor wire.

In a prior post I discussed the 2005 Kountry Star wiring diagram, but I could not conclude that a properly-fused charge line existed. Perhaps you will be able to trace it out and confirm that one way or the other.

Mark
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:35 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for your insight, Mark. I'm going to try to trace that wire back and see what I find.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:06 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
That didn't take long. There is no wire going into the position on the 7 pin connector for that purpose. I have six wires there, but none going to that position.

I think this makes it easier for me to know what to do next.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:33 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
So what I'm going to do is run a fused wire from the MH chassis battery to the 7 pin connector. On the toad side, I'm going to wire it as shown in the diagram above except there will not be a ground wire going into the regulator as shown.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:04 PM   #6

USMCRET-

No surprise on the absence of a charge line (drawing shows no wire on "pin E").

According to the diagram there are two fourteen-gauge wires running from somewhere up front and blunt cut (probably taped together), somewhere near the 7-pin connector. If we knew where they went and how they were fused, you could possibly use both at once as a charge line (a single 14 AWG is usually smaller than desired for this service). If you do happen to figure out the source and destination of those two wires, please post here so "the next guy" will know.

Per your post #5, I believe the Toad Charge requires a ground wire to work correctly. I crimped on a ring terminal and attached it to the same ground as the battery.

Mark
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad