Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2018, 06:42 AM   #43
jrs

When I do my Grand Cherokee next year, I'm going to use the idea on a youtube post when connecting the cable to the brake pedal. Take the rubber pad off the brake pedal plate. Then will drill 2 holes directly though the brake pedal plate. These holes will be located directly to each side of the brake pedal arm. Will loop the cables through and clamp behind the plate. Thinking this is more secure and cleaner looking vs using the supplied plates. Will likely make a relief cut part way through the back side of the rubber brake pad so it fits tight against the plate.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2018, 08:12 AM   #44

My '08 has a different brake pedal arm - it's vertical, not sweeping left like the one in the video. I haven't decided if I want to use the bracket provided or go with the solution Fireup did that connects to a rod drilled through the pedal arm.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/ready...re-301435.html
I will re-look at that info this week and make a decision. I am not sure he had the breakaway cable in his install.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:20 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
My '08 has a different brake pedal arm - it's vertical, not sweeping left like the one in the video. I haven't decided if I want to use the bracket provided or go with the solution Fireup did that connects to a rod drilled through the pedal arm.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/ready...re-301435.html
I will re-look at that info this week and make a decision. I am not sure he had the breakaway cable in his install.
Use caution when drilling a hole in the brake pedal arm. You wouldn't want to be driving around in the toad, stomp the brake in an emergency and have the arm bend or brake. Probably ruin your day.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:19 AM   #46

Yup, I definitely thought about that too. And I think I would need two holes, since I don't think you'd want the pull of the breakaway cable that far out on a stud if you doubled the cables up.
Probably best to figure out a way without drilling so you can still remove the cable when not towing. I'll have to put the left side of my brain to work on that.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:02 PM   #47

Quote:
Probably best to figure out a way without drilling so you can still remove the cable when not towing.
I can't imagine why you would need to remove the cable when not towing. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing that.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:30 PM   #48

Go to the link I posted in #44 and you'll see why they did that. The actual article starts on post 13.
It makes sense to do that to save the cable.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:39 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Today I installed a turnbuckle to get rid of the lame cable system NSA uses for the braking system. It works really well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	towbar2.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	328.2 KB
ID:	197628  
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:30 AM   #50

Looks like the same turnbuckle I bought. I'll build the new cable this weekend.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:00 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have run the ns ready brake for years, all i did was wire in a small vacumm pump to the brake booster (no abs), so that when ready brake exhausted the vacumm pump would recharge the booster, vacumm pump is from a 04-08 ford diesel, cheap
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:54 PM   #52

Anyone install a Ready Brake on a 2014 Silverado

This is all good information. I appreciate all the comments. I don't think I have read one bad thing on the ready brake system. The only problem I have seen is that the area where the tow bar pushes on the link that pulls the cable needs to be greased occasionally or it may stick and not slide effectively to pull the cable. Easy fix!

I haven't heard anyone using it on a 2014 Silverado. I can't see why it wouldn't work. Maybe I am looking for suggestions that the install is easy.

Thanks for any information in advance and Safe Travels!
Old 04-16-2018, 11:10 AM   #53

Quote:
Go to the link I posted in #44 and you'll see why they did that. The actual article starts on post 13.
It makes sense to do that to save the cable.
I did go read the posts you point out but still see no reason to disconnect the cable from the brake pedal when not towing. I've only heard of one person (you) who does that and I guess I'm just missing the point. I've never had any kind of cable wear issue on my 2017 Wrangler so I just don't understand the problem that's being solved.

Also, a lot of people way over think the cable adjustment. It's not something that takes any kind of "fine tuning". It's just not near as critical as folks seem to think. As long as it's within the 3-4" of travel provided by the brake activating arm on the Ready Brute then the toad brakes will work just fine.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:26 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFWRVMAN View Post
This is all good information. I appreciate all the comments. I don't think I have read one bad thing on the ready brake system. The only problem I have seen is that the area where the tow bar pushes on the link that pulls the cable needs to be greased occasionally or it may stick and not slide effectively to pull the cable. Easy fix!

I haven't heard anyone using it on a 2014 Silverado. I can't see why it wouldn't work. Maybe I am looking for suggestions that the install is easy.

Thanks for any information in advance and Safe Travels!

UPS just delivered mine today. I’ll be installing it on my 2011 Silverado later this week. I’ll let you know how it goes.
Tjclarke696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:59 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I did go read the posts you point out but still see no reason to disconnect the cable from the brake pedal when not towing. I've only heard of one person (you) who does that and I guess I'm just missing the point. I've never had any kind of cable wear issue on my 2017 Wrangler so I just don't understand the problem that's being solved.

Also, a lot of people way over think the cable adjustment. It's not something that takes any kind of "fine tuning". It's just not near as critical as folks seem to think. As long as it's within the 3-4" of travel provided by the brake activating arm on the Ready Brute then the toad brakes will work just fine.
And I haven't even done it yet.
Also see post #20.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:17 PM   #56
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Today I installed a turnbuckle to get rid of the lame cable system NSA uses for the braking system. It works really well.
Burns like the turnbuckle idea and your setup. What size and length of turnbuckle did you use?
Thanks in advance
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake