Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #1

Anybody using the Acme Eze-Tow dolly

If you are using one of these please tell me how you like it and if you really think it is a lot lighter than other tow dollies.are those detachable ramps a pain? can you move it around pretty easily by yourself? Thanks in advance!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have one and love it. It is VERY easy to move around being only 403lb. The removable ramps are great because there is no chance for contact with the car's under body when crossing a curb/gutter.

The best part about the EZE Tow is the totally automatic disc surge brakes...no adjusting and no brake controller or wiring in the RV and they work perfectly from loaded to unloaded and any weight in between.

I have the older poly ramps that do have a risk of spin-out while loading. The new style ramps are basically skid proof and longer for easier loading...I have not made the change over because I like to keep the ramps in a bin vs. on the dolly rack to keep then clean and safe from loss or theft...the poly ramps do not damage the inside on my bin.

I used to rent a U-Haul dolly before deciding how to tow and can report that those pivot pan style dollys work well, but they are VERY heavy.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:37 AM   #3

I have one as well. I put the ramps in the trunk of the car, much easier that way. Frankly, it is not as easy as four down, however if you need a dolly this is a very nice setup. It is light and I move it around myself. I also have a hitch on the car I tow so that if I stay in a facility that requires the dollies be stowed away from the campsite I can simply tow it there with the car.

On our last trip, I had my EZE Tow parked in the parking lot between a Demco SS and a Tow Master. The Demco is a very nice dolly and one I was originally going to purchase. However, after seeing it in person sitting next to my EZE Tow it is HUGE!!!! Don't get me wrong, it was a nice dolly but it is big and heavy. The Tow Master was sized in between my EZE Tow and the Demco SS. However I didn't like the strap setup compared to mine and frankly I like being able to remove the ramps so they won't hit the car. On our trip we ran into some very bad roads (long story) and I could see those ramps easily hitting the bottom of my car.

Overall I am happy with the dolly although there are times when I wish I went four down (rain/mud), which my car will do. But the car will have no wear from towing. I have a bamboo mat that rolls up that I used on the ground for protection.

One other little tidbit if you are new at this. I towed our car about 900 miles before the first time we removed from the dolly. We got in the car to tour the area and I smelt burning rubber. I pulled over and opened the hood. We smelt this for a day or so. Long story short, the car will pick up little tidbits of rubber from the road when towing and because the exhaust is cold it won't burn off in little tidbits where you wouldn't notice. Towing a long distance, these little tidbits build up so they burn off all at once and you will smell it in the car. It is normal so don't worry about it. I didn't realize this when we first started towing the car.

Good luck with your decision.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:00 PM   #4

I have the Eze-Tow and used it on a couple of trips. No problem towing and the unit is a lot lighter than the others on the market. The main selling feature for me as well as the poster above was the surge disc brakes. As an accessory I suggest you get one of those two wheel trailer dollys from Harbor Freight to move the Eze-tow around a campsite. I had to drag mine about a block one time and although only 400lbs things got sweaty pretty fast.
Mine is about a year old and has the poly ramps. You need to be on level ground to use them as any incline will cause you to spin your wheels. I was going to modify them so they attach to the dolly when loading, but never got around to it. I feel this would greatly assist in loading. If you check the Acme website, you will see the new style ramps that attach to the dolly for loading/unloading. A big improvement and the new ramps can be ordered separately and retrofitted to the older dollys.
As sated above, dolly towing is a little more work in the loading process than towing four down, but if your toad can only be towed on a dolly, I feel this is the best system.
I tow four down now as I traded my automatic fwd Mini Cooper for a manual trans Cooper Countryman.
wyatt earp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:14 PM   #5

Thanks everybody for the replies,I called and paid for one while I can still get it at sale price and will go pick it up on Thursday. I already have an old Kar Kaddy that is very heavy and doesn't have brakes and hurts my back to move around, that's why I was asking for input.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:53 AM   #6

we also have the eze tow dolly. have used it 4 times with our Mini Cooper. no issues... once you get the hang of loading the vehicle it doesnt take much time at all. well made product... good luck and enjoy
ssgwsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have one. No problems.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/735629463187747/
JimGeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:56 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I'm coming from towing a Jeep four-down, so the dolly is a pain, but it's my best option. We've taken a few trips and I'm getting better at loading and setting it up. From what I've read, it's roughly 400 lbs and you'll feel every bit of it when you try to move it through gravel or uphill. It's lighter than other dollys, but that's relative. You're not moving a wheelbarrow when you manhandle it off pavement

My car (2014 Fiesta ST) is low and has very limited clearance between the tires and wheel well and underneath. It's not easy getting the straps in place or hooking up the chains underneath...with one hand. For my situation, I'd say the Acme is the best solution.

I may grumble about dolly towing, but the plus side is that virtually any FWD car can be towed on a dolly. Once you've purchased the dolly, you really don't have to sweat future car purchases. If you decide to buy a new car and it's FWD, the dolly should still be a viable solution with no worries about braking, brackets and tow bars. That's worth considering and makes the purchase price very attractive.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly