Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2016, 09:37 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Anyone add a second camera to see toad?

I am a newbee and just got a toad car, got it all set up and on the drive home I noticed I could not see the entire toad in my backup camera and could not see it at all in my mirrors. Never having a toad before it was interesting trying to merge in and out of the highway traffic without actually seeing the toad. I am comfortable driving my rig but adding a toad is a new concern.
After an adjustment I can now see the whole toad on my screen but of course when you use the turn signal the camera switches to side view and it has a big delay going back to rear view. This still makes it hard to know if you are passed a vehicle and if it safe to make a move. Anyone have a secret strategy to pass with a blinker on without seeing your toad? Does anyone use a second camera that stays focused on the rear? If so,which one, any input would be welcome.

Thanks Dave
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2016, 10:17 AM   #2

Howdy, I don't have an answer for you, but found an old link saying it has been done, or people have reworked existing cameras for this reason.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/addin...ra-219243.html

Best of luck!
August West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:21 AM   #3

If you allowed 75 feet of clearance before you had a toad, allow 100 feet and you'll be fine.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:26 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't turn my blinker on until I am ready to change lanes.
If you think about it, as your passing a vehicle, it really serves no purpose because you can't change lanes anyway. And he may think that you have forgotten to turn it off.

So using your camera view, when you are clear, turn on the blinker, check again for clearance, and move over.

You can also use your shadow during the day to judge your clearance.
I think you will become comfortable after you have driven with the toad for awhile.

What freaks me out is that I am always used to seeing the toad in the monitor.
Sometimes when I make a turn, I glance at the monitor and the toad has vanished...then I remember the turn signal is on and it is the side camera view

Regards,

Dan
Old 01-07-2016, 10:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrobath View Post
I am a newbee and just got a toad car, got it all set up and on the drive home I noticed I could not see the entire toad in my backup camera and could not see it at all in my mirrors. Never having a toad before it was interesting trying to merge in and out of the highway traffic without actually seeing the toad. I am comfortable driving my rig but adding a toad is a new concern.
After an adjustment I can now see the whole toad on my screen but of course when you use the turn signal the camera switches to side view and it has a big delay going back to rear view. This still makes it hard to know if you are passed a vehicle and if it safe to make a move. Anyone have a secret strategy to pass with a blinker on without seeing your toad? Does anyone use a second camera that stays focused on the rear? If so,which one, any input would be welcome.
Thanks Dave
dkrobath
I would simply disable the questionable side view operation of the backup camera system.
Mel
'96 Safari, (with a "full time back view only" camera and monitor system)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:28 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
dkrobath
I would simply disable the questionable side view operation of the backup camera system.
Mel
'96 Safari, (with a "full time back view only" camera and monitor system)
X2 I find the rear view camera to be much more useful then the side camera.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My camera, made by Weldex, can tilt up and down. When towing, I tilt down to keep an eye on the Jeep
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:43 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I too hate the side view camera EXCEPT when I need to pull close to something as in parking otherwise the rear camera works fine - wide angle enough to see when the toad gets past the safe area
Old 01-07-2016, 01:59 PM   #9

I don't know which system you have but you might be able to reprogram your system to show the camera in the rear and the side (split screen) or definitely adjust the timing of how long the previous view appears on a screen when the turn signal is activated or shut off. The other option is as has been suggested and that is to not hit the signal for a turn in until the rear facing camera has you well clear of the passed vehicle. It'll take a while to get used to the change of your normal procedures, but not too long. The side camera is only meant to cover the blind spot vehicle that is down low and close to your front that your mirror won't pick up.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:15 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK I got it handled today. I stopped into a car audio store today and had them install another monitor that is actually the size and shape of a car visor. The service tech installed it in less than 30 min and now I have a large 12x6 in monitor dedicated to the rear camera. He came off the rear video feed before the signal box so my existing screen does exactly what it has always done so I have side views with the turn signals on and now without losing sight of the toad.
He had had an open box with the passenger side monitor sold out of it so they could watch dvd's in their car so I bought the drivers side one, got it all done for $110.00 A good day, and the color matches so the DW likes it too. It fit right between my current visor and I can get the perfect angle and have a better view than I did before with the main monitor. The main monitor was sometimes hard to see based on the suns glare and the direction etc. A very easy fix and safety addition to my coach.[
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:39 AM   #11
RV LIFE Support Team

What an easy solution. Will need to consider that...................

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:16 PM   #12

Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Yes, I have two cameras on the rear. The OEM that shows just the very front of the toad, and my Rear View Safety camera I had from the 5th wheel that I added. It shows the entire toad and a bit behind as well as the lanes left and right from the toad. I love it.

This is a wired system and if I was going to do it new today I would opt for a wireless camera, but I already owned this system.
Johninar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:22 AM   #13

I guess this is a thread highjack but I need to rant.

What you state is the correct and polite way to pass another vehicle and I always leave room for my car trailer to have plenty of clearance to the vehicle I passed . What do you do if the car behind you is so impatient that they cut to the right and pass on the inside just as you begin to merge back into the right hand lane with your right turn signals blinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
If you allowed 75 feet of clearance before you had a toad, allow 100 feet and you'll be fine.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:59 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I use two on the rear, every now & then checking the tow bar etc.
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, toad