Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:47 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Anyone currently towing 2019 Jeep Trailhawk?

My Jeep is ready for its first true trip being towed behind the motorhome. Blue Ox base plate and SMI Duo break system are installed. The Jeep owners manuel has 19 steps to ready the Trailhawk for towing. Has anyone towed the 2019 Trailhawk yet? Am wondering how it was and what you did when stopping after many hours on the road. Want to know if the Trailhawk can just be started and run for 30 mins or so while still hooked up in tow configuration, or do you have to go through all the steps in the owners manuel before starting the engine?

I’ll be printing the steps out and keeping them handy for sure.

Thanks for any input.
Steve
stevel720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2018, 04:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel720 View Post
My Jeep is ready for its first true trip being towed behind the motorhome. Blue Ox base plate and SMI Duo break system are installed. The Jeep owners manuel has 19 steps to ready the Trailhawk for towing. Has anyone towed the 2019 Trailhawk yet? Am wondering how it was and what you did when stopping after many hours on the road. Want to know if the Trailhawk can just be started and run for 30 mins or so while still hooked up in tow configuration, or do you have to go through all the steps in the owners manuel before starting the engine?

I’ll be printing the steps out and keeping them handy for sure.

Thanks for any input.
Steve
Is it a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Cherokee? They are different on towing setup. The owners manual is very specific on the steps. Follow them carefully.
iluvuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:43 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
It’s a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. Sorry.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:00 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I'm towing exactly ( almost ) what you have.

We just towed a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland with Active II 4 wd 3,000 miles and never had a minute of trouble. Other than the ground clearance, angle of departure and approach, and the lockable rear differential our cars are identical. The owner's manual is clumsily written and the process is much easier than it reads. After the first couple of stops it becomes super simple. We have the SMI stay N play brake system with a battery charger relay installed. We have the same base plate as you and probably the same blue ox tow bar. All of ours was installed by San Diego Trailer Supply and they did a spectacular job.

Hooking up or unhooking the jeep took less than 10 minutes and only about 30 seconds of that is inside the car. In addition to the steps in the manual... we have to turn on the brake control box with a toggle switch... and when unhooking have to turn that toggle switch off.

Yes, while the jeep is hooked up you can start the engine. The transfer case is in Neutral so it doesn't harm any thing. Feel free to call me... I'm in San Diego County at 760-639-4663.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180810_152544.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	226310   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180810_152559.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	226311  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180810_152611.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	226312   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180810_152933.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	226313  

Home:760-519-7014, email: guess@tpguess.com
Tpguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 02:17 PM   #5

Would you post your steps please.
2covesover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:36 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for all the great info and pics tpguess. I was also looking at a battery charging option which seem inexpensive and easy to install. SMI says the Stay in Play break system uses very little battery power and since the ignition is “off” I assume unless you tow for many days without running the engine in the Jeep the battery should be fine. Our normal travel will consist of no more than 250-350 miles at a stretch with running the Jeep for 15-20 minutes at the end to make sure everything stays lubicated. I like you rock guard. Is that easy to setup?

Thanks again for your input.
Steve
Old 11-18-2018, 09:58 AM   #7

The electric power steering takes a lot of power. When the battery voltage drops it seems to trigger the death wobble. You need to have an onboard charge line from the RV or battery charger. Videos of death wobble on utube. Battery can discharge in a few hours and can cause thousands of dollars damage to front suspension.

Big discussion on the 2019 on jeepcherokeeclub.com
About 8 pages do far.

You can check your electric steering to see if it is still active by putting the car into tow mode, brakes on.
come back in 30 minutes and turn the steering wheel.
if easy to turn its using battery power.

I have the 2018 Trailhawk with flat tow wiring harness.
Good so far. But had to show the dealer the car manual to get them to order and install wiring.
Check the discussion on the club I listed jury is still out.
2covesover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:25 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Rock guard

Hi there... I am not an expert on the electrical draw on the battery.... I just went with what San Diego Trailer Supply said I should do. The rock guard is super easy to hook up. It stays attached to the hitch all of the time... so you just unroll it and snap the pins in place. It is made by TowMaster... and San Diego Trailer Supply recommended it as well.
Home:760-519-7014, email: guess@tpguess.com
Tpguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:44 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I do recommend that you get the trickle charge to ensure that your battery stays charged.
As far as towing the Jeep Cherokee I've had no problems in over 13k miles and I haven't been using the Flat Tow Wiring Harness.
Personally it's all about the hookup. Get rid of all of variables (points of oscillations) and you won't have an issue.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
I do recommend that you get the trickle charge to ensure that your battery stays charged.
As far as towing the Jeep Cherokee I've had no problems in over 13k miles and I haven't been using the Flat Tow Wiring Harness.
Personally it's all about the hookup. Get rid of all of variables (points of oscillations) and you won't have an issue.
Is towing a 19 different than towing a 17
igapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
My experience with my previous 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk was like yours until it wasn’t. We pulled it for probably 40k miles over all sorts of bad roads including all over Alaska without a wobble and thought we must have installed the magic formula or gotten a special Trailhawk that was immune to the wobble. Then one day on a poor road in Newfoundland we had our first wobble, a low speed one after hitting a pothole while in a tight curve. Investigating the situation, I found that the baseplate was “loose” from cracks in the car’s aluminum subframe members caused by a defective Blue Ox baseplate design (which was corrected by a subsequent baseplate design revision). That was the cause of the wobble I rationalized so repaired the frame members and installed the revised baseplate design. Then a few thousand miles later I got a high speed wobble on I59 in a curve when encountering a rough bridge transition. Luckily I was in the right lane and was able to immediately get on the shoulder and stop. That was it for me and I installed the flat tow harness and never had another wobble until I traded the car. Of course it’s up to everyone to make their own decisions, but my experience was that a pre-2019 Cherokee may not have a wobble for a long, long time but things like tires, suspension parts, and tow bars do wear over time. For me, the combination of a known wobble susceptible vehicle, just right road and speed conditions, and undetected wear ultimately aligned to cause two wobbles, one that could have been pretty dangerous, if the traffic conditions were different. Just saying, but installing the flat tow harness removes the wobble susceptible vehicle element from the equation and precludes subjectively relying on keeping things “tight” to avoid future potentially dangerous wobbles.
Bikinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by igapaul View Post
Is towing a 19 different than towing a 17
It has been reported on here that Jeep made improvements to the 2019s so that the flat tow harness is no longer required for recreational towing.
Bikinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:26 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpguess View Post
We just towed a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland with Active II 4 wd 3,000 miles and never had a minute of trouble. Other than the ground clearance, angle of departure and approach, and the lockable rear differential our cars are identical. The owner's manual is clumsily written and the process is much easier than it reads. After the first couple of stops it becomes super simple. We have the SMI stay N play brake system with a battery charger relay installed. We have the same base plate as you and probably the same blue ox tow bar. All of ours was installed by San Diego Trailer Supply and they did a spectacular job.

Hooking up or unhooking the jeep took less than 10 minutes and only about 30 seconds of that is inside the car. In addition to the steps in the manual... we have to turn on the brake control box with a toggle switch... and when unhooking have to turn that toggle switch off.

Yes, while the jeep is hooked up you can start the engine. The transfer case is in Neutral so it doesn't harm any thing. Feel free to call me... I'm in San Diego County at 760-639-4663.

May I ask how you powered your tail lights? What kit did you use. The new 2019 design are LED and has the brake lights and running lights, or parts of them, in the tail gate which looks like a nightmare to install diode type harnesses.

Thanks

“Isn’t this great! Who knows what adventure is waiting for us out there!” Capt. Ron
DickJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:59 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Update - We've now towed our 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 3 separate times for a total of 600 plus miles. One overnight stop I left it hooked up and everything was fine. Someone had mentioned to check the steering wheel to see if the power steering was still on. It moved but not easily, so I would think there was no power steering assist on at that time. The battery was fine. Like others have said most info I found was that the "extra" Jeep flat towing wiring harness is no longer needed for the 2019 model Trailhawk. Also, I took my Trailhawk into the dealer 4 weeks ago for the break system recall, where they bleed the break system, and they said nothing about my break system affecting the warranty. The service manager did said I had a good break system (Duo Stay in Play which was moved over from our Honda). After towing three times I now feel confident towing my 2019 Jeep. It does seems heavier than our 2014 CRV we had before though. lol

Thanks everyone!
Steve

Tags
tow, towing