Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:49 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Anyone Flat Tow a Mini-Cooper?

We are anxiously awaiting the arrival of our new Class A 35ft. MH and are looking at a mini cooper toad. Any input is appreciated.
kschike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2017, 06:37 PM   #2

Have flat towed my manual transmission Cooper S for over 10,000 miles with no impact to the car. Towing behind a 35 foot Class A and it is barely noticeable behind the rig. Towing system is Blue Ox with a drop hitch to keep tow bars level. System works great.
BZTS561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:50 PM   #3

Anyone Flat Tow a Mini-Cooper?

We've got a Cooper Roadster S 6-speed that we flat tow.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:18 AM   #4

If it's a manual transmission, just don't forget to put it in neutral and leave it in reverse. Apparently, it spins the engine backwards at some insane RPM. But on the plus side, the supercharger will suck up most of the tiny bits of broken metal and deposit them inside of the air box for disposal. I know a guy that had to replace an engine for a buddy of his that did this.
Bob_E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:18 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:01 PM   #6

Just purchased a used Mini Cooper Countryman, manual Transmission, front wheel drive. You cannot tow an automatic transmission one or a four wheel drive one either. The mini salesman said they don't recommend flat towing but Blue Ox and Road Master both offer tow bars and base plates so obviously it is acceptable. Some tow guides don't even mention the minis on their lists. Dry weight of about 3K lbs., max gross of about 3.8K lbs. Parts guy at my dealer said they had just done a couple of minis. The steering column also does not lock when the key is removed, obviously a must. Also, I think I read it somewhere on this web site that the odometer does not register when the car is towed???? Neat little car! Regardless, in the process of getting parts together and then the work begins. Two to three weeks out when done. Hope this helps.
Skywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:31 PM   #7

Good luck with the mini , I'm wanting to tow a Pontiac solstice and can't find a lot of info on it , but blue ox makes a baseplate so I'm sure someone has, I find a lot of manufactures don't want to tell you a lot about towing their vehicles from a liability stand point.
Poohbear7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:34 PM   #8

I tow a 2013 Countryman S, manual transmission with a Blue Ox baseplate and tow bar. Easy tow. Just get it in neutral and release the parking brake and go. If you hit the lock button on the key fob twice , the motion detector will not arm, otherwise the alarm will go off when you start to tow. I had a charge line from the rv installed to the Mini so no issues with battery drain.
Cummins X15
Miked2145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miked2145 View Post
I tow a 2013 Countryman S, manual transmission with a Blue Ox baseplate and tow bar. Easy tow. Just get it in neutral and release the parking brake and go. If you hit the lock button on the key fob twice , the motion detector will not arm, otherwise the alarm will go off when you start to tow. I had a charge line from the rv installed to the Mini so no issues with battery drain.
That is definitely a nice piece of information to know. Yes, I ham having a car charging line from the RV to car installed. Thanks much!!!
Skywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:03 PM   #10

What year? Could you post a short list of specific parts outside the baseplate and Tow bar? Brake controller, wire kit, etc... Want to try and replicate what's already working. Thanks
IanMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:22 PM   #11

Go to the Remco towing site. Enter the make/model and year and it will bring up the matching parts list
http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/Store.php
Cummins X15
Miked2145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:39 PM   #12

Just set up our 2016 Mini Cooper S convertible for flat towing. It is front wheel drive with the 6-speed manual transmission. It is the polar opposite to the Ford F-150 we have been towing for the past year. If it weren't for the camera, you would not know its back there.

Blue Ox baseplate, SMI Air Force 1 brake system. It is an excellent toad, and I can definitely recommend it.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miked2145 View Post
Why do you need a charge line???? There is nothing to drain the battery with no key in the ignition.

-Kevin
Old 09-26-2017, 12:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfriceman View Post
Why do you need a charge line???? There is nothing to drain the battery with no key in the ignition.

-Kevin
Depends on the braking system, a brake buddy draws power to run it's pump.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow