Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2022, 05:07 PM   #1

Anyone Flat Towing a '21/'22 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (All 4 Down)?

I'm seriously considering a '21 or '22 Jeep Cherokee Latitude for flat towing behind my Dutch Star. I've viewed a YouTube video going over all the steps preparing for the tow and it appears incredibly complex, comparing with my 2007 Honda CRV. I'd appreciate hearing from any who are familiar with flat towing this Jeep and can forward to me instructions more easy to understand and follow. Thanks, in advance. Larry
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2022, 07:07 PM   #2

I have a 2019, and it's real easy. '
Is a 21/22 any different now?

you may like:
https://fourwheeltrends.com/can-you-...kee-explained/
I believe you only need to make sure you have the active drive 2 transfer case.
2017 Winnebago Vista 29ve (Special Edition) Many Mods: Trimark Keyless Entry, Ride Rite Air bags, Roadmaster anti-sway bars, CrossFire dual tire system, TST TPMS, Roadmaster Sterling tow bar. Many little mods.
corvetteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 07:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh37 View Post
I'm seriously considering a '21 or '22 Jeep Cherokee Latitude for flat towing behind my Dutch Star. I've viewed a YouTube video going over all the steps preparing for the tow and it appears incredibly complex, comparing with my 2007 Honda CRV. I'd appreciate hearing from any who are familiar with flat towing this Jeep and can forward to me instructions more easy to understand and follow. Thanks, in advance. Larry
The steps in the manual are over complicated. After doing it a few times it only takes 30 seconds to get into natural tow.

A Cherokee Latitude is not always able to be flat towed as they typically are equipped with Active Drive I. AD I is NOT capable of being flat towed. The vehicle must have AD II to be capable of flat tow.
Steve-W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 07:46 PM   #4

https://fourwheeltrends.com/can-you-...kee-explained/
I believe you only need to make sure you have the active drive 2 transfer case.[/QUOTE]

Everything got more complex about 2013 with electronic shifting. Read the owners manual.
MS60ocb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 08:40 AM   #5

Clay...are you a present or former Jeep Cherokee owner? If so, I'd be interested in hearing of your first-hand knowledge. It's too way to easy, and not very helpful, to tell someone to "read the manual". Thanks to you others who offered genuine help.
Old 11-06-2022, 09:07 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
From memory:

Engine running, foot on brake and parking brake on
Shift to Neutral on transmission.
Push 'N' button with tip of pen. Wait for flashes of LED nearby to remain solid red.
Test drive train by placing in Reverse and also Drive. No movement of vehicle. I even race the engine just a little.
Place transmission in PARK.
After vehicle is secured to tow vehicle, RELEASE PARKING BRAKE and turn off ignition.

That's all for basic flat tow transmission release. Now on my 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk I have the need to also enable the power steering rack with a separately installed wire harness....but that is NOT required with model years 2019 and newer.

To re-gain full function:
Turn on engine.
Park brake on and foot on brake also.
Shift trans to Neutral.
Push N button with tip of pen and wait for flashing led to go out.
Place trans in reverse and test drivetrain.
Place trans in Park
Remove tow bar from vehicle.

Happy trails.
Old 11-06-2022, 09:13 AM   #7

hugh37,
Just a bit more info. Here is the procedure I use for the Cherokee. after a few times I do not even refer to this doc. I have in 3 years towed the Cherokee 31,600 miles without any issues. One critical note it is best to disable the auto parking brake option in the vehicle setup screens, otherwise if it is not in park and the door is open the brake will auto engage. I turned this off when I got the vehicle and have left it that way since then. We always do confirm that the wheels roll when moving the coach forward as part of our safety (lights, etc) check. I did the install of the tow gear on the vehicle myself, I used a Blue Ox baseplate, Invisibrake system, universal lighting kit with diodes, charge line (home-brew with isolation diode & fuse), brake light relay (to prevent brakes from overriding turn signals), brake pedal switch for in coach indication of brake pedal activation.
Hope this helps.

2019 Jeep Cherokee Flat Tow Setup
The power transfer unit must be shifted into NEUTRAL (N) and the transmission must be in PARK for recreational towing. The NEUTRAL (N) selection button is adjacent to the 4WD selector switch. Shifts into and out of NEUTRAL (N) can take place with the selector switch in any mode position.
Use the following procedure to shift the 4WD system into NEUTRAL (N).
1. Bring the vehicle to a complete stop on level ground, and shift the transmission to PARK.
2. Turn the engine OFF.
3. Turn the ignition to the ON/RUN mode, but do not start the engine.
4. Press and hold the brake pedal.
5. Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL.
6. Using a ballpoint pen or similar object, push and hold (until light is solid) the recessed NEUTRAL (N) button. The light behind the N symbol will blink, indicating shift in progress. The light will stop blinking (stay on solid) when the shift to NEUTRAL (N) is complete.
7. After the shift is completed and the NEUTRAL (N) light stays on, release the NEUTRAL (N) button.
8. Start the engine.
9. Release the parking brake.
10. Shift the transmission into REVERSE.
11. Release the brake pedal for five seconds and ensure that there is no vehicle movement.
12. Shift the transmission to NEUTRAL.
13. Shift the transmission into PARK
14. Verify the parking brake is released, neutral light is on, transmission is in park
15. Turn the ignition OFF, remove the key fob, and release the brake pedal
Old 11-06-2022, 11:36 AM   #8

I have been flat towing a 2020 Cherokee Limited for about three years now. Concur with poster Steve-w on the procedure. The neutral shift and test process requires perhaps 30 seconds. Two comments based on experience.

First, if one exactly follows the Jeep procedure, there will be a nasty noise after testing for neutral (engine running) and shifting to park. It’s just the parking pawl, so no real harm. To avoid, either shut off the engine while the transmission is in neutral and then shift to park. Or shift back to neutral after drive/reverse, pause for 5 seconds (to let the whirly bits in the transmission stop spinning), and then shift to park, stop engine.

Second, the electronic nanny likes to apply the electric parking brake if everything isn’t just so. As mentioned it’s best to disable the auto parking brake function in the settings. Also close the drivers door while performing the procedure or the anti-rollaway feature will set the parking brake. Once set it’s uncooperative about being turned off.

Ours has never been back to the dealer in three years - no recalls, no repairs. The spouse likes it much better than the not-towable 2016 Subaru Outback it replaced - much quieter, better seats, better electronics, better headlights. Wish the fuel tank was a few gallons larger.
Shadow5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 12:01 PM   #9

Great info, guys...thanks! Would it be acceptable on this thread to ask about your base plate setup on your Jeep...since they are "mates"? I have a Demco tow bar from flat towing my previous SUV. From viewing installs of the Demco base plate on the Jeep it too looks very complicated...requiring removal of the entire front end of the Jeep?? I'd like to think I could handle it, since it was necessary for me to remove the front end of my previous SUV to replace the washer fluid reservoir! Has anyone installed their base plate for their flat towable Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee, etc.? I'd appreciate any input you can offer. Larry
Old 11-06-2022, 03:31 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Great info, guys...thanks! Would it be acceptable on this thread to ask about your base plate setup on your Jeep...since they are "mates"? I have a Demco tow bar from flat towing my previous SUV. From viewing installs of the Demco base plate on the Jeep it too looks very complicated...requiring removal of the entire front end of the Jeep?? I'd like to think I could handle it, since it was necessary for me to remove the front end of my previous SUV to replace the washer fluid reservoir! Has anyone installed their base plate for their flat towable Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee, etc.? I'd appreciate any input you can offer. Larry
Won't matter which company baseplate you select, the front end has to come off. It isn't as hard as it seems. I use a Roadmaster plate (BlueOx has a pretty bad reputation IMHO) and at first used a Demco towbar with the appropriate adapters but have since switch to a Roadmaster towbar.

As to procedures....I need to learn to just keep my mouth shut and bow to experience of Shadow and Steve.
Old 11-06-2022, 04:30 PM   #11

Many thanks, Richard. My thread was moved... better suited under "Motorhome Forums/Toads and Motorhome Related Towing". Really appreciative of your help!
Old 11-06-2022, 04:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Read the baseplate and wiring instructions for any baseplate vendor to see if you think you can handle it. Cutting/trimming fascia,.drilling holes in the "frame", drilling holes in the backs of taillights, running wiring harnesses from front to back are all common with CUVs and SUVs, and sedans.

If you haven't done all of the above previously you'll be right back here asking for help with your Jeep disassembled in the garage.

Read the toads owners manual for the exact procedure to follow to get into and out of tow mode. As helpful as some responses are intended and well wishing only rely on the toads owner manual.
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 04:54 PM   #13

I installed a Blue Ox baseplate. The front facia did have to come completely off. The install was not that complex the provided instructions were spot on. The only cutting necessary was for the 6 pin and break away switch in the lower grill. There are two different base plates depending upon the if the bumper support is steel or aluminum. At least on the 2019 steel was only on the Trailhawk.
Old 11-06-2022, 04:54 PM   #14

Thanks for your comments, Chris. I understand and appreciate them. I consider myself a "hands-on" guy, have experience in similar projects, and will not fear to "venture out" on this project. Just trying to learn "steps to take vs. steps NOT to take"...experience from others is oftentimes "priceless", I've found. Understand, I have NO manual, as I have NO Jeep as yet. Regards, Larry

Tags
cherokee, jeep, tow, towing