Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2014, 06:18 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Anyone toading a 2014 Toyota Corolla ?

Just curious if anyone here is towing the Carrola...... SInce it doesn't have a physical key or ignition, how do you unlock your steering column ?

Thanks,
Ken
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2014, 06:41 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I asked the lead Toyota service tech back about 4 months ago if any Toyota's can be towed 4 down? His answer "No Toyota's can towed period 4 down !! I asked if I can see something in writing or their website to back that up. He said he didn't know of any.

The reason for asking was my parents have a older Ford Ranger that is a little long in the tooth. They have been waiting for Ford to bring back a small pick-up again, but nothing has been said if they will. I said why don't you give a Toyota Tacoma double cab.

With so many motor-homes out there I'm surprised Toyota don't pursue that profit avenue. Or select a few models like the Corolla, Rav-4, Tecoma and have a tow-able option that adds items / components like ( Tranny -pump, tow-bar pre-wiring ) that would make their product tow-able 4-down.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:00 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
I asked the lead Toyota service tech back about 4 months ago if any Toyota's can be towed 4 down? His answer "No Toyota's can towed period 4 down !! I asked if I can see something in writing or their website to back that up. He said he didn't know of any.

The reason for asking was my parents have a older Ford Ranger that is a little long in the tooth. They have been waiting for Ford to bring back a small pick-up again, but nothing has been said if they will. I said why don't you give a Toyota Tacoma double cab.

With so many motor-homes out there I'm surprised Toyota don't pursue that profit avenue. Or select a few models like the Corolla, Rav-4, Tecoma and have a tow-able option that adds items / components like ( Tranny -pump, tow-bar pre-wiring ) that would make their product tow-able 4-down.
I'm planning on getting a dolly for it, but that too requires the column to be unlocked.

Thanks for the reply !!!
Old 10-30-2014, 07:04 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

Many of the manual transmission Toyota's are towable four down. I have been towing a manual Camry for years.
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:58 AM   #5

Quote:

First, most MANUAL TRANSMISSION model Toyota's are 4 Down towable except the 4wd and AWD models.

Second, the motorhome towing public is such a small segment of total vehicle sales numbers it is not worth the extra expense required to make them towable. We are talking about an increase in sales of less than .15% if every new motorhome buyer also bought a Toyota product to tow.

Don't think this hasn't been looked at by Toyota, it has, and the numbers just didn't make it feasible.

Also look at Honda for 2015, they redesigned both the CRV and FIT and made them non-towable because overall the numbers just didn't justify the added cost to keep them towable.

With BIG companies it's all about the bottom line revenue dollar and nothing else.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:45 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I understand it would be great if the vehicle everybody already has were flat towable, and I'm sorry to see Honda moving away from the towable market, along with vehicles like the Ford Escape, but thankfully there are still many vehicles available that are flat towable. Hopefully the trend of going from towable to not towable reverses and we don't see the towable list continue to dwindle. For now we still have many options, but who knows what may or may not be towable 5 or 10 years from now?
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:23 AM   #7

Ken,

Check out your owner's manual: Dingy Towing on page 159.

Here's a preview:
"Turn the engine switch to the “ACC” position (without a smart key system) or ACCESSORY mode (with a smart key system).
(→P. 161, 166)"

Good luck.
view2a.thril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:29 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by view2a.thril View Post
Ken,

Check out your owner's manual: Dingy Towing on page 159.

Here's a preview:
"Turn the engine switch to the “ACC” position (without a smart key system) or ACCESSORY mode (with a smart key system).
(→P. 161, 166)"

Good luck.
That's what the manual says...but with the smart key, if you put it in the accessory mode, it times out and shuts down after 20 mins.

Thanks for replying !!

Ken
Old 11-03-2014, 07:58 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
A Tacoma can be made towable with a drive shaft disconnect. I have been towing mine for 5 years with no problems. It has been a great toad with the double cab and the bed to haul gear.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 05:04 PM   #10

Smile towing 2014 corolla

We are towing a 2014 Toyota Corolla w manual trans. Has not presented any problem. I use the invisabrake braking unt. Simply place trans in neutral and press start button once, this unlocks steering. No need to pull fuses or anything else. Remember though if after having done all this if you open the door again it will turn off ignition and lock steering. I use the Roadmaster wiring harness with invisabrake and very satisfied
tomia3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:10 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomia3 View Post
We are towing a 2014 Toyota Corolla w manual trans. Has not presented any problem. I use the invisabrake braking unt. Simply place trans in neutral and press start button once, this unlocks steering. No need to pull fuses or anything else. Remember though if after having done all this if you open the door again it will turn off ignition and lock steering. I use the Roadmaster wiring harness with invisabrake and very satisfied
I have an automatic transmission.

Every time I am sitting in the car waiting on the DW, if I listen to the radio with one push of the start button, after a while, it all times out and turns off. Next time, I'll check the steering column lock to see what happens.

Thank you very much for the reply !

Ken
Old 03-15-2015, 01:06 PM   #12

tomia3 do you leave smart key in vehicle or take out. did you run a charge line to corolla. and is the invisi brake working ok. thanks Bob
pugsley5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 02:57 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Here is my solution for the 2014 Carrola

I press the smart start button one time and it unlocks the steering column. If I do this while the driver door is open, the close it after doing that, it will remain unlocked until I open the door again.
As far as brakes, I have the acme tow dolly and it comes with surge brakes, so nothing else needed to be done.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomia3 View Post
I too have a 2014 Corolla with manual transmission. Mine has a key. Tomia, I am interested in hearing about the base plate and how it was installed -especially interested in how it was installed through the Corolla grill. Pictures and plate details would be most appreciated.

2009 Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Celerator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad