Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-25-2020, 07:39 PM   #1

Anyone tow a Ford Fusion

Hello we purchased a 2020 Ford Fusion SE hybrid. Its towable 4 down or on a dolly. Anyone tow this car? Hate cutting up a new car for base plate install but if you tow 4 down what equipment did you use? For those that use a dolly, I know I want surge brakes but what dolly? The car is lower profile. Do I need ramp extenders? Fixed or removeable ramps? Is the steering classified as unlocked? It seems to be; it is push button start with a fob. No turning a key. Recommendations?
I'm looking at dollies but I keep going around and around over which I need. Thanks
Skidlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2020, 07:58 PM   #2

Page 226 of your Owners Manual says your Fusion can be towed with all 4 wheels on the ground or all 4 wheels off the ground (on a trailer). No mention of dolly towing.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:12 PM   #3

I tow a 2018 Fusion hybrid. Blue Ox towbar, baseplate and Patriot 2 braking system. I love the way it tows. Very easy to put in tow mode. I had to put a 6" drop receiver on the RV to get the towbar within 3" of level. Since the 12v port isn't active with the car off I use a portable jump starter to power the Patriot 2.

It cannot be towed on a dolly.
ageishecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:01 AM   #4

Thanks. I knew the car could be towed 4 down but I also thought all FWD cars could be towed on a tow dolly. Is that not correct? I know the manual doesn't specifically say anything about a tow dolly. Thanks
Old 06-26-2020, 01:21 PM   #5

Read your manual again. If dolly towing was approved it would say so. On a trailer or on 4 wheels are the only approved methods. My understanding is it has something to do with antilock brake sensors.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:13 PM   #6

So it only gets more confusing. I asked a mechanic at the Ford dealer and he said I "should" be able to tow on a dolly....
Old 06-28-2020, 06:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidlm View Post
So it only gets more confusing. I asked a mechanic at the Ford dealer and he said I "should" be able to tow on a dolly....
You think Joe Mechanic is an expert on how all the different model Ford vehicles can be towed behind a MH? Maybe ask a salesman as well to get a different uneducated input.

Read your Owner's Manual - it is the definitive resource on how/if your car can be towed. If it doesn't say you can tow it a certain way; you can't tow it that way.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:00 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Anyone tow a Ford Fusion

The manuals should have a recreational towing section with the FINAL word on if it can be dolly towed. I wouldn’t trust anything else.
Generally FWD cars can be dolly towed , but since yours is a hybrid using regen braking different rules may apply. AWD vehicle’s can almost always not be dolly towed or at least none that I’m aware.

I took the time to google your manual and page 239 states not to use a sling tow truck ( damage to the front fascia ) but to use a dolly on the front wheels is approved method, for front wheel drive models .. So... dolly towing appears to be approved.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:46 PM   #9

Page 225 of the owner's manual gives 2 methods of recreational towing - 4 down or on a trailer. The same page says for emergency towing it can be towed with the front wheels on a dolly and the rear wheels on the ground with a max speed of 35 mph and max distance of 50 miles. Do you still thnk it's okay to tow on a dolly behind your motorhome? It's your car, do as you want.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:47 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
“TOWING A TRAILER
TOWING THE VEHICLE ON FOUR WHEELS
Emergency Towing
In the event your vehicle becomes disabled (without access to wheel dollies, car-hauling trailer, or flatbed transport vehicle), it can be flat-towed (all wheels on the ground, regardless of the powertrain/transmission configuration) under the following conditions:
• The vehicle is facing forward so that it is towed in a forward direction.
• Shift the transmission into neutral (N). If you cannot shift the transmission into neutral (N), you may need to override the shifter and enable Stay in Neutral mode. Failing to do so may result in damage to the transmission. See Transmission (page 173).
• Maximum speed is 35 mph (56 km/h).
• Maximum distance is 50 mi (80 km).
Recreational Towing
Note: Put your climate control system in recirculated air mode to prevent exhaust fumes from entering your vehicle. See Climate Control (page 119).”

THEN IT SAYS ITS OK TO TOW 4 DOWN AT 70

Follow these guidelines if you have a need for recreational (RV) towing. An example of recreational towing would be towing your vehicle behind a motorhome. These guidelines are designed to ensure that your transmission is not damaged.
Your vehicle can be towed with all four wheels on the ground using the Stay in Neutral mode feature, or with all four wheels off the ground using a vehicle transport trailer. If you are using a vehicle transport trailer, follow the instruction specified by the equipment provider.
If you tow your vehicle with all four wheels on the ground:
• Tow only in the forward direction.
• Release the parking brake.
• Place the vehicle in Stay in Neutral mode. See Automatic Transmission (page 173).
• Do not exceed 70 mph (113 km/h).
Note: If the parking brake is applied, a message appears in the information display.
Note: Start the engine and allow it to run for a few minutes at the beginning of each day, and every six hours or fewer. With the engine running and your foot on the brake, shift into drive (D) and then into reverse (R) before shifting back into neutral (N). Before continuing to tow, you must re-enable Stay in Neutral mode.
Fusion Energi (CC7) Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV)/Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV), Canada/United States of America, enUSA, Edition

or just a few pages later

TRANSPORTING THE VEHICLE
It is acceptable to have your front-wheel drive vehicle towed from the front if using proper wheel lift equipment to raise the front wheels off the ground. When towing in this manner, the rear wheels can remain on the ground.
Front-wheel drive vehicles must have the front wheels placed on a tow dolly when towing your vehicle from the rear using wheel lift equipment. This prevents damage to the transmission.
Towing an all-wheel or four-wheel drive vehicle requires that all wheels be off the ground, such as using a wheel lift and dollies or flatbed equipment.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:00 AM   #11

We are looking at a Fusion Hybrid SE tomorrow. I read on another forum that it has too low of a profile for it to be a good tow car. (It was 2 am and I couldn't sleep and now I can't find the thread). Motorhome Mag's towing guide includes it and a flat tow vehicle. Who all tows a Fusion Hybrid? Do you find any issues with the low profile? We love the idea of 40mpg and we found it very comfortable for a small car. Any experiences with the Fusion would be very helpful since we may buy on on Friday.
Thanks everyone! BTW-we are new to the motorhome experience. Just bought the Thor Challenger 37DT June 25th. Need a dinghy now.

I just realized this is more a new question that would probably be best posted as a new question. I'm new to the forum too.
sgnorris87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgnorris87 View Post
We are looking at a Fusion Hybrid SE tomorrow. I read on another forum that it has too low of a profile for it to be a good tow car. (It was 2 am and I couldn't sleep and now I can't find the thread). Motorhome Mag's towing guide includes it and a flat tow vehicle. Who all tows a Fusion Hybrid? Do you find any issues with the low profile? We love the idea of 40mpg and we found it very comfortable for a small car. Any experiences with the Fusion would be very helpful since we may buy on on Friday.
Thanks everyone! BTW-we are new to the motorhome experience. Just bought the Thor Challenger 37DT June 25th. Need a dinghy now.

I just realized this is more a new question that would probably be best posted as a new question. I'm new to the forum too.
I love towing my Fusion hybrid. Low profile has never been an issue. I have to use a 6" drop receiver but it has never dragged. If you have a longer overhang it might be a problem.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageishecker View Post
I love towing my Fusion hybrid. Low profile has never been an issue. I have to use a 6" drop receiver but it has never dragged. If you have a longer overhang it might be a problem.
Hey thanks! It’s good to know that you love your fusion! What brands did you use for tow bar, base plate and braking system? Did you install yourself or have either a hitch place or RV dealer do the install? We test drive the car tomorrow and may buy it. Sounds like it’s a good choice for flat towing.
sgnorris87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:14 PM   #14

I have all Blue Ox - tow bar, baseplate and Patriot 2 braking. The baseplate was installed by the Blue Ox dealer.

Tags
ford, tow