Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2019, 11:33 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Interesting point. Different versions of the documentation for my 2017 Ford Fusion call for “stay in neutral mode” (done from the gearshift dial) or “neutral tow mode” accessed through vehicle settings. I was never able to get a straight answer from Ford.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2019, 12:13 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
On the 2016 Lincoln MKX which is based on the Ford Edge you have a set routine. You turn on the vehicle without starting it, then use controls on the steering wheel to go into Settings > Vehicle Settings > Neutral Tow > Hold the OK button while a graphic scrolls > put your foot on the brake > select N on the transmission > remove your foot from the brake > turn vehicle off.

You'll see "Neutral Tow Engaged" on the dash read out and the N will be flashing and there is a unique double chime continuously sounding.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:08 AM   #17

I'll check again but unless I missed it, there is no neutral tow setting on the 2015 Edge.
Pinkertonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:35 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkertonk View Post
I'll check again but unless I missed it, there is no neutral tow setting on the 2015 Edge.
I checked the 2015 Ford Edge manual. And, depending on the transmission there were two options. One transmission was model was not flat towable.

1. Use a tow dolly
2. Start the vehicle, put it in neutral, turn it off and disconnect the neg wire

So, presumably your owners manual will let you know which one of those options is right for your vehicle.

I like the way my 2016 MKX provides the "Neutral Tow Mode."
Old 01-02-2019, 08:59 AM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
For towing both my 2013 and 2018 Ford Edge instructions were/are the same.

Start and run engine at least 5 minutes.
With foot on brake, run through all the gears.
Finish with going from Reverse to Neutral
Turn off ignition.
For 2018 Edge only - disconnect battery neutral cable.
Do not tow over 65 MPH

I use a portable battery system to provide power to my Patriot brake system for my 2018 Edge. For the 2013 I just plugged it into the 12v receptacle in the dash but I did run down the vehicle battery twice.

For anyone towing the 2018 Ford Edge SEL model only, there still does not seem to be a proven off the shelf solution for all signal and running lights due to its wiring that is different than the Sport or Titanium models.

It also seems you won't have worry about 2019 Edge (any model) as it seems they will not be towable 4 down at all due to transmission changes.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:13 AM   #20

No mention of neutral tow setting in my 2015. I SUSPECT that is simply telling the computer to turn off the dash and any electronics.
Pinkertonk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, towing, ford, tow, led