Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2016, 03:20 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
We are looking into flat towing a 2017 MKX, Do you have a pic of the Blue Ox modification? I would be able to make those modifications myself, and I would like to see or know what they did, I am sure it was a little welding and bracket making to relocate the sensor, or notching the adapter. But a pic would be great if you have one.

We normally tow a trailer but a second option in areas that do not accommodate the trailer make the MKX flat tow, a nice backup.
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2016, 05:17 PM   #16

I've now towed our 2016 MKX (loaded) 3 times. No problems. Road master/Lincoln tow setup works as advertised.
ksandbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:56 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Kirk View Post
On day 3 of my first (5 day) trip, where I was towing 5-6 hours per day, and not using the battery disconnect switch*, my battery died while parked in a campground overnight.
Capt. Kirk

Did you have the car turned off while towing when it went dead?
StuartS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:21 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartS View Post
Capt. Kirk

Did you have the car turned off while towing when it went dead?
Yes, once the neutral tow feature is activated, I press the start button to turn the power off.
Capt. Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:59 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
I am getting ready to do a self install of the smi Air Force one system on my 2016 MKX. Does anyone that has a similar install have any photos of where they main components were installed? Not a lot of obvious locations available at first inspection. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
nwgreen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:51 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I noticed yours (OP) was a Black Label MKX, did you find the experience different? worth the extra?

We are waiting on the 2017 Black Label MKX we ordered, very excited for the 9 speed transmission, I believe the 2016 is a 6 speed transmission.

Neil
Old 11-08-2016, 11:19 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
I noticed yours (OP) was a Black Label MKX, did you find the experience different? worth the extra?

We are waiting on the 2017 Black Label MKX we ordered, very excited for the 9 speed transmission, I believe the 2016 is a 6 speed transmission.

Neil
The "experience" didn't really provided a lot of value for us, but we purchased the vehicle over the phone from Hawaii. We do love the vehicle, though!
Old 11-09-2016, 02:44 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Are you sure the 9 speed is towable? The GM/Ford 6-speed is towable but most of the other transmissions are not.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:45 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
MRUSA14 Lincoln says it will be, but time will tell.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:41 PM   #24

Brake Buddy

I am setting up my 2016 MKX for towing and want to use the Brake Buddy. The Brake Buddy needs 12 Volt power to operate and is designed to plug into an accessory plug. Does anyone know if when the car is put into tow mode are any of the 12 Volt accessory ports still powered?
Djrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:34 AM   #25

MKX

Towed our new 2016 first time Monday. Odd thing happened?? I left the keys in the car on the console. When I got to where I was going the car was locked up?? It wouldn't take the door code I had put in it. Had to call locksmith to get in. Had to reset the door code. Anyone run into this?

safe travels
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:34 PM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Tow speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandbe View Post
After reading various comments - I sent Lincoln a note. See reply:

Dear Mr. Sandberg,

My name is Brooke and I am a Concierge Service Manager for Lincoln. Thank you for contacting us about towing your 2016 Lincoln MKX behind your motorhome. We appreciate your loyalty with the Lincoln family.

You do not need to pull out the fuse to prevent the battery from draining while towing because you turn off the ignition once the vehicle is in Neutral Tow Mode.

Enter Neutral Tow mode by doing the following:

1. Put the ignition in accessory mode by pressing the engine START button without pressing the brake pedal.
2. Select Neutral Tow under the Vehicle Settings menu in the information display.
3. Press and hold the OK button to start the neutral tow process.
4. Press the brake pedal and select N on the push-button transmission.
5. Turn the ignition off by pressing the engine START button without pressing the brake pedal.

If the process is completed successfully:

• the N on the push-button transmission blinks slowly
• Neutral Tow Engaged turn ignition off for towing appears in the information display.

Thank you again for contacting Lincoln.

Regards,

Brooke
Lincoln Concierge Service Manager
Lincoln Motor Company

Does anyone known how critical it is to always keep your speed below 65MPH? Since the MKX has a neutral tow mode why is the speed limit at 65mph. I am not suggesting one should be driving at excessive speeds but there are time when traveling over 65mph might be desirable.
rorr1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:37 PM   #27

Capt. Kirk, we just purchased a 2016 Lincoln MKX with adaptive cruise and shutters. Blu Ox tells us that they don't make a base plate that will work, bummer. Do you know which one you purchased and reworked? Was it the BX2659 ? I'm thinking of taking a chance on that as the Roadmaster is quite ugly and cumbersome looking on the front of a nice vehicle.
Roy Somers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:04 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Somers View Post
Capt. Kirk, we just purchased a 2016 Lincoln MKX with adaptive cruise and shutters. Blu Ox tells us that they don't make a base plate that will work, bummer. Do you know which one you purchased and reworked? Was it the BX2659 ? I'm thinking of taking a chance on that as the Roadmaster is quite ugly and cumbersome looking on the front of a nice vehicle.
Roy - it was the BX2659. They (Dan's Hitch in Elkhart, IN) spent a lot of time modifying and fitting the base plate, but it's working great.

Tags
tow, towing