Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2019, 10:24 PM   #1

Anyone Towing A 2019 Ford Explorer?

Last month we were travelling west on 1-4, about 60 miles east of Tampa, FL. As always, I-4 was packed, but we were plugging along in the slow lane at 50-55 mph. All of a sudden, my wife and I hear an explosion, the motor home lurches and I see our tow car swing into the middle lane. Someone had hit us from the rear. By the grace of God, no one was injured. However, our tow car, a 2010 Ford Edge didn't survive. So, the search for a new tow car began. We decided to buy a new car so we could use it as a family car, as well as our toad. Surprise, Surprise, Ford doesn't make a 2020 car or SUV that is flat towable. In fact, we couldn't find any 2020 car or SUV that could be towed flat. However, we continued looking for options, and we may have found a solution - but we would love to have confirmation from real live users. It seems that 2019 FWD (front wheel drive) Ford Explorers, with a 3.5 engine, can be towed with 4 wheels on the ground. Is anyone out there using a 2019 Ford Explorer as their tow car?
Goin2TheDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2019, 11:13 PM   #2

It is a bit more money but the 2020 Lincoln Nautilus is towable (AWD, 2.7 Liter twin turbo). it is the same size as a Ford Edge. Might be a nice option for you.
RUFINIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:27 AM   #3

Thank you for your response. I have not been able to find information regarding the 2020 models. However, I was recently told by a dealership sales person (very credible source, right?) that there were not any 2020 Fords that could be towed all 4 tires down.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2TheDogs View Post
Thank you for your response. I have not been able to find information regarding the 2020 models. However, I was recently told by a dealership sales person (very credible source, right?) that there were not any 2020 Fords that could be towed all 4 tires down.
You can find the manuals online. Might want to check the 2020 Edge (same set up as the Nautilus) and see in the manual if it says you can tow or not. I have a 19 Nautilus and my friend has a 20 Nautilus and both manuals list out the procedures on how to set up to tow. Again, not sure about the Edge. The Explorer is not, not is the Lincoln Aviator equivalent.
RUFINIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:49 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
go to www.fleet.ford.com.
At the bottom of the page, at the bottom of the column headed 'parts and service', click on 'towing guide'.

The resulting page lists the towing guides by year. On page 13 of the 2020 guide, it lists 4 wheel down towing capability.
Fusion Hybrid and plug-in Hybrid.
Escape Hybrid
Edge ST
Expedition/Expedition Max 4x4
Ranger 4x4
F-150 4x4
F-150 Raptor
F-x50 Super Duty 4x4
Old 11-14-2019, 04:25 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have a ‘19 Expedition and it’s been a great tow vehicle so far the ‘20 isn’t a redesign so I expect like was posted earlier it is still towable.

My buying experience was that the salesman and the dealership floor manager had no clue what they were talking about - I had to do all of the research on what options I needed. Don’t trust any dealer to do that for you - and make the deal contingent on it getting into tow mode before you move it behind the wheel in delivery.

As eager as I was to take it for a drive I put mine in Neutral tow before I even finished looking over to make sure it had the other options we ordered and certainly before I let it roll one foot.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:49 AM   #7

I hate to say it but RandDescape is right the people at a car dealership are not the ones to ask about flat towing. Simple solution when your at the dealership reach into the glove compartment, or ask to see the owners manual and do your own due diligence. Works every time.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:52 AM   #8

If you like the Edge you should look at the Edge ST as it is towable 4 down. At least the 2019 was and I suspect the 2020 is also. Regardless there are still 2019's available. If you google the owners manual for the Edge ST & go to the recreational vehicle towing section it says it's towable & gives instructions. Base plate https://www.blueoxtowbars.com/produc...,336&group_id= is available from Blue Ox.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:27 AM   #9

Thanks to everyone for all the help. Right now we are focused on 2019 Ford Explorers with a 3.5 Duratec engine. Since there are no new 2019 Explorers sitting on dealer lots, we searching for a good used one. What we are finding are almost all "off lease" cars with 15K-18K miles. My wife and I don't buy new cars very often, but in our 50 years together, we have never purchased a used car. I wish I could say we are enjoying the process. Happy camping and safe journeys to all.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:48 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Going2....
Buy a "CPO" certified pre owned you get 7 year 100k warranty from initial start date ( not the date that you bought it)
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, tow, towing