Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2011, 03:05 PM   #15

Cruze

I'm with you, it's a great car, I like it, but I bought it for 4 wheels down towing like my old Saturn. I'm waiting on a return call from GM. I think I will go up tomorrow and talk to the general manager about this.
Retiredblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2011, 06:21 AM   #16

Cruze was Marketed by GM as Flat Towable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
If you look at the Blog I wrote ... (link below)

Day Number 2 at The RV Trade Show

You can see right on the top of the windshield; "I'M FLAT TOWABLE"

Somebody needs to go out to the woodshed!
Thanks! That is very helpful to see your pictures. This actually makes this even worse since GM was openly marketing this car as flat towable as evidenced by your pictures taken at the National RV Tradeshow. It certainly makes them culpable.
somoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:11 AM   #17

Chevy Cruze

It is official, just got a call from GM Chevy Cruze CANNOT! be towed 4 wheels down, I am on my way to my dealer in 15 mins to lodge a complaint and see what we can do, this situation absolutely stinks! False advertising, I think a class action suite will be coming, don't you think?
Old 08-24-2011, 09:46 AM   #18

What about the Chev Malibu. I just bought one to tow four wheels down and had all the stuff put on it. It has the same transmission, I believe.
dagray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:23 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagray View Post
What about the Chev Malibu. I just bought one to tow four wheels down and had all the stuff put on it. It has the same transmission, I believe.
I have a feeling you are OK IF you have the V6 engine as it has the 6T70 transmission. I believe the Malibu has been towed for 3 or 4 years and I've not heard reports of problems. The 2.4 litre 4 cylinder engine version does have the same 6T40 transmission as the Cruze. I sure hope you bought the V6.

If the 6T40 has not given problems in the Malibu and it is in the Cruze then I'm sure many would like to know why that is the case.

Don
Old 08-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #20

I have the four cylinder 2011 Chev. Malibu with a six speed transmission. I hope for some reason it can be towed four down.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #21

Quote:
I have the four cylinder 2011 Chev. Malibu with a six speed transmission. I hope for some reason it can be towed four down.
Now that is interesting. The 2.4L I-4 has the same 6T40 as the Cruze. The Equinox 4 cylinder model has the 6T45.

I wonder why you have not or will not be getting the GM letter. It seems strange that the same transmission doesn't have the same problems even if in another body. What does your manual say about flat towing?

I just downloaded your manual in pdf from GM and page 10-89 indicates it is towable and it does not distinguish between the two transmissions. In fact, the material looks just like the manual pages posted at FMCA's site by a Cruze owner who got the letter.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Now that is interesting. The 2.4L I-4 has the same 6T40 as the Cruze. The Equinox 4 cylinder model has the 6T45.

I wonder why you have not or will not be getting the GM letter. It seems strange that the same transmission doesn't have the same problems even if in another body. What does your manual say about flat towing?

I just downloaded your manual in pdf from GM and page 10-89 indicates it is towable and it does not distinguish between the two transmissions. In fact, the material looks just like the manual pages posted at FMCA's site by a Cruze owner who got the letter.

I asked the dealer before I bought the car and looked at the manual before I bought the car. I understand my car has a 6T40, hope it works out well. If necessary I will have to put a pump on it.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:53 PM   #23
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
I asked the dealer before I bought the car and looked at the manual before I bought the car. I understand my car has a 6T40, hope it works out well. If necessary I will have to put a pump on it.
I would think the dealer or GM should bear the cost as you and others apparently bought these vehicles in good faith thinking they could be towed 4-down.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:05 PM   #24

Cruze

I just got a call today from GM, they apologized about the 4 wheel down towing situation with the Cruze and offered me $1,500. towards the purchase of a tow dolly. Guess I will have to shop around for a tow dolly.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #25

Chevy Cruze, highly rated on looks,mileage and said to be towable four down is all misleading as we found out ten months after buying a new 2011 Cruze. We found there were several recalls for mechanical or electric defects and with just over five thousand miles the transmission lost all forward gears and had to be rebuilt and recomputerized. Ten days lost time at the dealer. GM paid the bill.
With that behind us we decided (luckily) not to buy the tow brackets,bar,or supplemental brake. Instead, we traded the Cruze for a new 2011 Chevy Equinox. Then, lo and behold we received the GM letter yesterday (8/22) from
Customer/Relationship Services telling that GM will not cover transmission damage resulting from four down towing...No apology, just a note to put in your owners manual to remind you that you`ve been taken or just got rid of a lemon. Should have bought a different make but trade in offers were better w/GM.
Given a "break in" period, we may go for the towing accessories. Good luck to all in your quest for reimbursement..
Concordriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:47 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordriver View Post
Chevy Cruze, highly rated on looks,mileage and said to be towable four down is all misleading as we found out ten months after buying a new 2011 Cruze. We found there were several recalls for mechanical or electric defects and with just over five thousand miles the transmission lost all forward gears and had to be rebuilt and recomputerized. Ten days lost time at the dealer. GM paid the bill.
With that behind us we decided (luckily) not to buy the tow brackets,bar,or supplemental brake. Instead, we traded the Cruze for a new 2011 Chevy Equinox. Then, lo and behold we received the GM letter yesterday (8/22) from
Customer/Relationship Services telling that GM will not cover transmission damage resulting from four down towing...No apology, just a note to put in your owners manual to remind you that you`ve been taken or just got rid of a lemon. Should have bought a different make but trade in offers were better w/GM.
Given a "break in" period, we may go for the towing accessories. Good luck to all in your quest for reimbursement..
Is the GM letter you received the letter to Cruze owners or is it a letter to Equinox owners saying their transmissions won't be covered?

Last September I set out to trade our 2006 Equinox for a 2011 and even the employee price (which I get) was AWFUL (just too much demand for them). I was even going to do a double header swapping my 2007 Tahoe for a 2011 Caddy SRX - but that deal was just as bad - only $3500 off list. Drove a few blocks to the Ford dealer and got far better prices even though I did want to continue dealing with GM. Now, DW loves here Escape and I can't get over how much I like my Flex.

If we had purchased an Equinox, put on the base plates and then received a notice that the tranny would not be covered........ well, I'd be really PO'd.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:04 AM   #27

Tow Dolly is not an option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredblade View Post
I just got a call today from GM, they apologized about the 4 wheel down towing situation with the Cruze and offered me $1,500. towards the purchase of a tow dolly. Guess I will have to shop around for a tow dolly.
Really? I don't think so. Every time I see people fooling around with a tow dolly I am so glad we did not go that route. If a tow dolly was a viable option, I would not even be posting here.

We have an appointment with the General Manager tomorrow. They are going to have to take our car back.
somoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:08 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by somoma View Post
Really? I don't think so. Every time I see people fooling around with a tow dolly I am so glad we did not go that route. If a tow dolly was a viable option, I would not even be posting here.

We have an appointment with the General Manager tomorrow. They are going to have to take our car back.
I don't like the thought of a tow dolly either, you have to store the darn thing at home or where ever you are. But if I want to take the cruze with me that seems to be the only thing open to me, they sure aren't going to spring for a Remco transmission lub pump and a base plate. If they would give me the $1,500. up front, that is the route I would go. I want them to pay, and if I don't take the $1,500. for a dolly, I'm out and it is money they don't have to spend. And if I want to go for another car that is towable, that is more money, I sure don't like that Exwilnox, looks like a box, I never like those cubes to begin with, they are not going to trade you "even Steven" the Cruze has depreciated, they don't want it. Guess I should have bought a Ford Fusion.

Tags
towing