Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2021, 02:20 PM   #1

Anyone Towing a Ford Edge?

I have a 1999 Fleetwood Discovery and am thinking about setting up my 2009 Ford Edge for flat towing. I have settled on the NSA Ready Brute Elite 2 tow bar with built in surge brake. They can supply it with clevises for Blue Ox, Roadmaster, or Demco base plates.

My question is which base plate will give the cleanest/easiest installation on a 2009 Ford Edge? I have looked at some videos and they all seem to require some cutting/fitting of the tow vehicle. And the attachment points seem to exit at different points on the front of the car. So I'm looking for real world advice from anyone who has towed an Edge.

I have a really good mechanic friend with a lift to do the install for me for a very reasonable price.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2021, 07:44 AM   #2

I towed a 2014 Edge up until about 9 months ago. I used the BO base plate, NSA ready brake tow bar, and NSA break away. The baseplate install was one of the more difficult installs I encountered. But I was happy with the BO look with the removable tabs as it was less noticeable. The connection points of the base plate installed were fairly high (maybe 22" from the ground) & I grew to really like that. Attaching tow bar was easy on my back because it was so high. My Edge was an energy pig and according to manual had to be towed in accessory mode. Even with a charge line I would have a dead batt if towing for very long days which we did often. I ultimately started towing it a different way after a tip from a forum member. With ignition off you remove a small piece of trim to the left of shifter. You release shifter lock & shift into N to tow. Everything else remains the same, speed limit & you still need to cycle every 5 hours etc. But no more dead battery as the car is towed with ignition OFF. Don't know if this will be a issue with you just a FYI. BTW this tow method is also in the owners manual under emergency towing. My 2014 was the last year for that body style so I have a feeling this info may be applicable to your 2009 as well.
twojayhawks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 08:27 AM   #3
YC1

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aqrv2TUdbV6xu2NR...u9sgW?e=0z9AOr

Download these, they may help. Let me know if the pictures of the install did not show, or download it again. I had to retrieve the pictures. Never thought I would need them again.

Good tip on the energy saving. I towed a 2012 Limited and it left a lot on. Ultimately I added a separate charge line big enough to do the job.

Make sure your owners manual states your specific vehicle can be towed four down. There were multiple model combinations and some could not be.

I will see if I still have my Edge install pictures. They may not match of course but might give you some insight. Good choice on the brake for sure.

The front end of my Edge was mostly removed. Easy enough but takes some time to get all the stuff off.

To add to the equation, we had the adaptive cruise and the radar box on the front had to be moved a bit. It worked fine but just noting it. We installed a Demco setup.

The tow plate took lots of time to install. Not as simple as our F150 for sure.

Make an effort to have a jump start box or a set of long jumper cables. As soon as you get too lazy to start it every few hours you will find a dead battery and worse, maybe a bad tranny.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:23 AM   #4

Thanks for the info fellas. YC1 the pictures did come through. Is that a Demco base plate?

Fortunately I have a skilled mechanic to do the install for me.
Old 08-12-2021, 11:45 AM   #5
YC1

Yes, I thought there might be a file in there with the Demco part number.

The page did advise about the adaptive cruise sonar not being compatible but as mentioned I moved it and never had any issues. I did have to do some grill trimming I think. It has been a long time.

In any case, for anyone reading this thread I DO NOT recommend the Invisibrake. The darn thing would lock up and stay locked up. I won't get into too many details but just say that to turn on the brake it senses the two brake lights on the towing vehicle. Then if you are using the Edge lights versus adding your own bulbs there can be enough feedback to cause the thing to think the tow vehicle is using its brakes.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 01:09 PM   #6

As I mentioned I'll be using the Ready Brute Elite 2 tow bar with the built in surge brake. For tail lights I plan on using a wireless system, something light this:

Wireless Tail Lights

I was next to a guy last month using this tow bar and lighting system on his Newmar and it sold me.

Tags
ford, tow, towing