Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2020, 02:28 PM   #1

Exclamation Anyone towing a mini Cooper

I just installed the roadmaster towing assembly on my 2021 Mini S six speed. My service person is nervous because we can't find any instructions for towing a mini anywhere! The only thing we get from the owners manual is put it in neutral with accessories on. Anyone currently towing a mini tell me about your experience. Thanks
Jet50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2020, 03:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet50 View Post
I just installed the roadmaster towing assembly on my 2021 Mini S six speed. My service person is nervous because we can't find any instructions for towing a mini anywhere! The only thing we get from the owners manual is put it in neutral with accessories on. Anyone currently towing a mini tell me about your experience. Thanks
Yes, we are towing a 2014 Mini Cooper S 2 door hard top 6 speed manual transmission without issue. The Mini dealer told us it wasn’t advised and would void the warranty.

Steering wheel doesn’t lock so just put the car in neutral, lock the doors with the fob and go.

On our car if we forget to lock the doors they will auto lock when we start rolling so we need to be sure and have at least a key to get in. If they doors auto lock the odometer ticks up the mileage we tow but if we lock with the fob miles are not recorded.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 03:49 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
AS above towed our 2008 Mini about 14,000 miles without issue.
Old 11-13-2020, 05:50 PM   #4

You didn’t indicate which model MINI S you have (coupe, Countryman, other?), so this may not apply, but we were planning to add tow plates to our 2015 Countryman Cooper S and the installation shop said the tow plate hardware was dangerously close to the radiator and coolant lines. Plus, it required cutting through the plastic bumper cover for the connecting tabs. I ended up trading the Countryman for a Jeep Wrangler just because I was concerned about the extent of modifications to a nearly new MINI. So, my suggestion is just to make sure you have sufficient clearance for all your tow related hardware where it fastens to the front bumper.
Old 11-14-2020, 03:44 PM   #5

Towing 2021

Thanks for the tip on the key fob. My first time I had the key in my pocket and it locked automatically. Next time I’ll lock with the fob. Do I need to turn it on to accessories? Also after first tow I had a tire pressure warning. I learned how to use the tire pressure monitor to automatically measure the tire pressure and the warning went away. The model is a 2 door , convertible S. 6 speed manual
Old 11-15-2020, 05:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet50 View Post
Thanks for the tip on the key fob. My first time I had the key in my pocket and it locked automatically. Next time I’ll lock with the fob. Do I need to turn it on to accessories? Also after first tow I had a tire pressure warning. I learned how to use the tire pressure monitor to automatically measure the tire pressure and the warning went away. The model is a 2 door , convertible S. 6 speed manual
I believe Mini has changed some of the electronics in the newer models. I don’t have the option to just turn on the accessories I can’t answer that question.

The car does have some features different than most cars. Tire pressure gauge is one. Also my car doesn’t have an oil dipstick. There is no way to see the motor oil and the only way to check the level is with the on board system.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:49 AM   #7

Thank You!!

Thank you for your responses. I'm so excited about my little red toad!!
Old 11-16-2020, 11:21 AM   #8

We've got a 2013 Roadster S (also in red) that we've towed a bit over 32K miles.

I use a towmate light so we didn't have to wire anything special for lighting.
We have a ReadyBrute Elite towbar with integrated cable brake.

We have an EEZRV TPMS and I installed the sensors on the car as well. We haven't used the safety locks for the sensors. My brother used these on his TT and it caused more harm than good.

Hook up teh car, ensure it's in neutral, lock the doors, turn on the TowMate light and drive away. No need to leave the car on acc or even leave a key in the car. We bought the car used, so no warranty to deal with.

Tags
tow, towing