Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2019, 08:28 AM   #1

Anyone towing on a car carrier?

If you are - what are the issues that are most convenient and inconvenient?

I have a 2013 Nissan Rogue that is paid off but can't be towed 4 flat or on a tow dolly - leaving only the option of putting the car onto a trailer.
Oldmso54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2019, 09:56 AM   #2

I have towed a trailer with a truck on it. In many ways, I like a trailer better than four down. No wear on the vehicle, easy to maneuver and back up, no tow bar or base plate needed or toad braking system and can carry other things on the trailer. The trailer can be used for other uses. The only negative for me was dealing with the trailer when we stopped in one area for an extended period of time, which was often.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:02 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A car carrier tows exactly like a cargo or travel trailer...

Pro's:
*Backing-up is normal (unlike flat or dolly tow).
*It usually will have existing brakes and lights - and the brakes can be electric or hydraulic/surge.
*If equipped with full decking, it can be used as off-the-ground exterior deck at the destination.

Con's:
*You have a 20'something foot long trailer along where ever you go that you MIGHT want to park off-site at a campground. But, we had no problem getting a free space from CG management when asking.
*Loading/unloading will usually be an off-campsite thing, so you have room to get everything straight.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:20 AM   #4

So if you stick to pull through sites then you avoid the disconnect issue... but if you do have to disconnect the trailer and store it at the CG during your stay = what does that process look like as far as manuevering the trailer?
Old 03-07-2019, 10:33 AM   #5

I always made a point of staying at a park that had a pull thru site. We only use our coach for traveling between homes twice a year and a couple of side trips to a State Park that has 100' paved pull thru sites. Have never had a need to unhook the trailer in order to park.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:47 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
A car carrier tows exactly like a cargo or travel trailer...

Pro's:
*Backing-up is normal (unlike flat or dolly tow).
*It usually will have existing brakes and lights - and the brakes can be electric or hydraulic/surge.
*If equipped with full decking, it can be used as off-the-ground exterior deck at the destination.

Con's:
*You have a 20'something foot long trailer along where ever you go that you MIGHT want to park off-site at a campground. But, we had no problem getting a free space from CG management when asking.
*Loading/unloading will usually be an off-campsite thing, so you have room to get everything straight.

Best luck

we have been doing it since 2009, lots of miles and some predictable tire failures.
but last month DW pushed me to get a smaller vehicle and tow it four down.
so now we have two choices based on our destination.

a few times i have had to park the empty trailer in a locked lot at the cg, never really an issue. issues usually begin when folks with no patience, think my 20 minute hook up and tie down is taking to long and they get ..well you know

I SAY do what MAKES you HAPPY and fits your needs.
all my vehicles are four down capable,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	corpus2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	237165   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 edge delivery (26).jpg
Views:	81
Size:	281.4 KB
ID:	237166  

Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:09 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I have a enclosed cargo trailer I use most times but it's similar but with more restrictive access due to the trailer walls of course.
We try to use Pull thru sites and call to insure they are long enough keep in mind angled pull through 70' site is most of the time really only 60-65 feet long. Once calling and making it clear how long we are we have had good luck 90% of the time.
Some will have a parking area for the trailer esp if you are staying a week or more .. we use the motor home to move the trailer to the storage area after removing the car and back in or drop the trailer .. then go to our site. You will need some trailer backing skills esp if the area is crowded, but its no different than backing a trailer with a truck ... Kinda
most parks will have some area for you to pull out of the way to unload the car . If it's just a overnight we search out a no fuss pull thu. and unload the car at the pull thru site using the road if needed for a few minutes.
While we don't pre plan our stops a lot while on the move, we do call around noon once we have a idea where we will be at 3pm (our general quittin time....drinks at 4! ). The night before i have looked on the app allstays and have some ideas listed for the co pilot to call.
1- The trailer is more hassle than 4 down 2- you definitely limit where you can stay but we have always found a place ! 3 - The parks that have room are generally more expensive (not always but... ) 4- I have found KOA $$ to have the largest pull thrus in many cases
Old 03-07-2019, 11:16 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Trailer plus hitch adds 1500 pounds to whatever you are hauling. For other than a classic car, it seems a big waste to me.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:20 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
... For other than a classic car, it seems a big waste to me.

Not for us...It's a reality with the ever-decreasing list of flat tow-able cars.

It's getting more common that AWD can't be flat towed and a dolly is out of the question.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 03-07-2019, 01:35 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Trailer plus hitch adds 1500 pounds to whatever you are hauling. For other than a classic car, it seems a big waste to me.
1800 lb for us, we have a steel trailer thats beefy.
i have a 10k tow limit and with the expedition on it and ready to rumble its 8200lb
if the edge is on it its 2k less.

but now we will do the flat tow for awhile or not depending on the destination and what we may BUY to bring back .
or how far we plan to drive at our destination.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:56 PM   #11

We have towed every way you can think of. Four down, Dolly and now 4 up. Our preference is by far 4 up. You can back into any spot anywhere and never a tense moment. Works for us. The vehicles we tow are electric so we have no choice but to tow them either on a dolly or 4 up.

radar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:02 PM   #12

Good stuff! More info to process. Just retired this past January and we are still discovering our "personal travel style". We've managed to make things work so far without a tow vehicle but it's becoming apparent that we will want/need the convenience of our own vehicle sooner rather than later. Appreciate all the feedback!
Old 03-07-2019, 10:21 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmso54 View Post
So if you stick to pull through sites then you avoid the disconnect issue... but if you do have to disconnect the trailer and store it at the CG during your stay = what does that process look like as far as manuevering the trailer?
For us, a pull-through is not a must have. As long as the spot is the right length, we can back-in...and the long overhang of a car carrier can stick-out beyond the finished surface.

Anyway, we put a receiver on our toad...even a ClassII hitch could manuever an empty car carrier.

In the rare case we must move the trailer in close quarters, we can use the car...easy as pie. But this is so rare, the receiver is most often used for a bikerack.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 03-07-2019, 10:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
We have towed every way you can think of. Four down, Dolly and now 4 up. Our preference is by far 4 up. You can back into any spot anywhere and never a tense moment. Works for us. The vehicles we tow are electric so we have no choice but to tow them either on a dolly or 4 up.

Frickin àdorable
Kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing