Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2019, 04:21 PM   #1

Anyone use a deck over dolly trailer ?

Only dealer is in Florida. I ran across their product in my research looking for a way to tow our Harley RG and a small car and stay below 5K. The trailer with a 6ft deck weighs 1,200 lbs. The MC is 900 so that leaves room for a small car such as a Fiat,Scion or equal. Looks like a well made product and has a four foot shield in front.
deckoverdolly.com
GCSuper is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2019, 08:24 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was toying with doing this on my own with my dolly.(didn't know about deckoverdolly)
My only concern was tongue weight.
Since the wheels are at the back of the deck, all of the weight of the dolly and the forward load will be split between the tongue and the wheels depending on their position between the two. Only the toad vehicle would be behind the wheels and counteract some of the tongue weight.
If I have a 1200 lb dolly and a 900 lb mc on it... I have 2100 lbs being held up at two points, the tongue and the wheels. Assuming positioning is "middle" that would be 1050lbs on the tongue. If the load is farther forward the tongue would take more weight.
Adding a toad might take 500lbs off the tongue which would probably be a very manageable tongue weight, both from overall weight and for handling.
Dealer likely has specific weight examples or can calculate your setup if you provide your actual mc weight and the front wheel weight of the toad.
MrWzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWzrd View Post
I was toying with doing this on my own with my dolly.(didn't know about deckoverdolly)
My only concern was tongue weight.
Since the wheels are at the back of the deck, all of the weight of the dolly and the forward load will be split between the tongue and the wheels depending on their position between the two. Only the toad vehicle would be behind the wheels and counteract some of the tongue weight.
If I have a 1200 lb dolly and a 900 lb mc on it... I have 2100 lbs being held up at two points, the tongue and the wheels. Assuming positioning is "middle" that would be 1050lbs on the tongue. If the load is farther forward the tongue would take more weight.
Adding a toad might take 500lbs off the tongue which would probably be a very manageable tongue weight, both from overall weight and for handling.
Dealer likely has specific weight examples or can calculate your setup if you provide your actual mc weight and the front wheel weight of the toad.
With the six foot deck you can move the mc forward or aft as needed to control tongue weight. Also there are adjustable stops for the car. Dealer said tw would be between 3 and 4 hundred lbs. One owner that I've found confirmed this also. There is another brand called tandem tow. Very similar but I don't like the ratchet strap locations
Old 01-03-2019, 08:44 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like a vast improvement but if you are an IL resident you will have to license the dolly because it is now classified as a trailer where the standard dolly does not need to be registered or licenses which is a considerable savings.

Best wishes - Richard
Old 01-03-2019, 09:28 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
CLICKY
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
Sounds like a vast improvement but if you are an IL resident you will have to license the dolly because it is now classified as a trailer where the standard dolly does not need to be registered or licenses which is a considerable savings.

Best wishes - Richard
No worries. I'm in TX. I own four trailers now and here you just pay an annual license fee.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:21 PM   #7

Tandem Tow or Deck Over Dolly

Yes, I purchased my Deck Over Dolly from Best Trailer Sales in Fl..... picked it up at the actual assembly plant in Ga... got it last May and I haul my golf cart and my Honda Civic. I got it with the electric brakes, and it does a fine job. Only problem is that its so heavy to move around, I will be getting a small SUV with a hitch on the back to move it around... I got the 6" bed with the spare tire.
The Tandem Tow Dolly brand was based out of Mooresville, NC and is closed now and out of business.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LOADED DOLLY 1.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	418.2 KB
ID:	230926

Click image for larger version

Name:	tow dolly 3.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	230927
Happy Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Pat View Post
Yes, I purchased my Deck Over Dolly from Best Trailer Sales in Fl..... picked it up at the actual assembly plant in Ga... got it last May and I haul my golf cart and my Honda Civic. I got it with the electric brakes, and it does a fine job. Only problem is that its so heavy to move around, I will be getting a small SUV with a hitch on the back to move it around... I got the 6" bed with the spare tire.
The Tandem Tow Dolly brand was based out of Mooresville, NC and is closed now and out of business.

Attachment 230926

Attachment 230927
Yea, 1100 or 1200 pounds is not easy to move around. If I go this route i plan to put a hitch on the vehicle to move the trailer as needed, that is if I can find a hitch that will fit on one of the tiny cars I'm planning on using.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:52 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Best wishes - Richard

In Illinois, the plating of a dolly is in the same confusion category as the belief you can drive your "RV" on a standard drivers license.

if you have a licensed vehicle on the dolly you are fine, the dolly does not need a plate...BUT...if you take the dolly on the road with an unlicensed vehicle, or with the dolly empty, the dolly needs to be plated.
MrWzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:49 AM   #10

The Deck Over Dolly is actually made by Anvil Trailer in Douglas, GA. When you pick it up from the factory, it comes with a title and a temp tag. It must be licensed no matter which state you take it to. It is considered a utility trailer when it has the deck attached to the dolly. A standard car dolly does not need a license plate.
Happy Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:21 PM   #11

Location: Home base Lakeland, Fl, summers Columbus, Oh and points north
We had one with a 6’ deck. I liked it but the wife did not. She was the one who needed to look for 70’ pull thru sites. We towed it 5000 miles with zero issues. Very rugged piece of equipment. I added extra lights and a swivel jack to help move it around from HF ($15). When she said I could buy a new 4X4 pickup to put the Gold Wing in and tow behind I jumped on it
EdB Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:01 PM   #12

Quote:

Best wishes - Richard

Negative on registering in Illinois
When I bought ours went to DMV
Guy there said didn’t need to
Asked him to put it in writing
NO PROBLEM
Printed it out and had it notarized I keep certificate handy in case
gramps66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:46 PM   #13

I had a 10' Tandem Dolly for a couple years. I carried a Goldwing Trike and an Escapade trailer on it and a four door Jeep Rubicon on the dolly. I bought it from the factory and had it shipped to me. Easy to assemble and great to use. It was rated for the weight of the load, but came with cheap tires. I upgraded to a better tire. No problems while I owned it.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:03 AM   #14

Well, no turning back now. I've ordered the trailer with the 6ft deck and have purchased a Ford Fiesta to tow. I've already installed a hitch on the Fiesta to facilitate moving the trailer when needed. This scenario wasn't my first choice, but given my limited weight restrictions, this was the option that made the most sense. I'm a borderline clean freak so hauling the bike on an open trailer will make me cringe, but I'll adapt. I'm researching towable covers next.

Tags
dolly, trailer