Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:22 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Your going, to want to re-read the manual.

It say to lower the tire pressure " TO " 10 PSI.

They ride so much better at 10 PSI then 40 PSI.
Your right! I misread the instructions.
I'm glad I mentioned the harshness of unloaded dolly's ride quality - which prompted you posted your helpful reply. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-12-21 111920.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	351942  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2021, 10:31 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Good point. My F-53 rear tires are 96" from the outside of one side to the outside of the other side. But the EZE dolly we used to have was 102" from outside of one tire to the outside of the other.

While 3" on each side does not sound like much, the dolly never tracks perfectly behind the motorhome. That means you need to take turns wider, especially right-hand turns.

That meant that a curb that could be easily cleared by the motorhome tires could result in a tire scuff or strike on a dolly tire. That was always a point of nervousness.

Ray
Good information. I have an EZE Tow but haven't had a chance to use it yet. Thanks.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 02:30 PM   #31
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam
Good information. I have an EZE Tow but haven't had a chance to use it yet. Thanks.
Keep a good eye on your mirrors. If you're on a lane that is less than 12' wide, such as I-75 inside Atlanta at 11' or side roads where the lanes may be 10' wide, it can be very easy for the passenger side dolly tire to be on or over the white line. More than once we saw that and there can be more debris off to the right on the berm of an interstate. Or a ditch on the side roads. :(

The dolly tows great and we had zero issues with it in the one year we owned it. We were towing a Hyundai Sonata and there were a number of things we had to keep an eye on.

For example, the inside of each basket strap can chafe on the shock tower so when crawling underneath to fasten the safety chains I always made sure I could reach up and stick a finger between the strap and the car's structure. If not I had to reposition the strap. Once I got it right, I took a picture of the strap so I knew where it had to be with respect to the rim to minimize the chance of chafing. But I still always checked. That one cross-strap had to be moved to a closer "slot" because it would not be so low on the inside of the tire. Looked odd but it worked.

The safety chain front end being slipped into the "banjo" slot bothered me and others. As others did, I added a carabiner to that end of the each safety chain and looped the chain back on to itself. That eliminated any chance the safety chain could pop out of the banjo slot on a rough road.

The Sonata is a bit wide and it always was a challenge getting it centered on the dolly and not on the dolly at an angle. It almost always required multiple attempts to get it right. Once we got it right I measured the distance from the edge of the dolly to the rim to assure I was within an inch of equal on each side every time.

If the dolly was not perfectly straight behind the motorhome when taking the car off that caused the car to be at a bit of an angle on the dolly. That meant I could not get a ramp hook in place. I made the rear of each basket strap look like a small inverted "V" to help get the ramps on. But more than once I had to really crank down hard on the winch on that side to smash the tire down so I could slip the ramp in place.

A ratcheting wrench from Home Depot works great and I highly recommend it.

Yes, it is entirely normal for one tire or the other to not be up against the front of the dolly if the dolly and car are not perfectly straight behind the motorhome.

Yes, you need to stop in the first few miles and tighten the straps. But not after that and once we towed the car for five days and only had to tighten the straps that one time.

When checking the strap tightness, look closely at the front of the tire where the strap enters the winch. You do not want the strap to be on an angle because the edge of the strap will chafe on the edge of the winch. If you see the strap on an angle, loosen the strap a bit and shove the front of the strap over and then tighten the strap again.

Hope this helps.

Ray
Old 12-22-2021, 01:43 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
Here's my review of the American Car Dolly:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/my-american-car-dolly-review-476566.html
Oops...
[https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/my-american-car-dolly-review-476566.html#post5127325
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 12:16 AM   #33
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420
Here's my review of the American Car Dolly: ...
He either let his web site registration expire for an extended period of time or he's out of business. The domain was grabbed by an ad company and that usually requires 30 days or so of no attempt to renew the registration and get the web site back online.

Anybody contact him recently? I saw another thread where people could not contact him.

Ray
Old 12-23-2021, 01:20 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
He either let his web site registration expire for an extended period of time or he's out of business. The domain was grabbed by an ad company and that usually requires 30 days or so of no attempt to renew the registration and get the web site back online.

Anybody contact him recently? I saw another thread where people could not contact him.

Ray
See post #3 above by yeloduster. He's still in business.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 03:41 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, Ask yourself where you will be storing it when not in use. ;-)
MI FLA Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 03:45 PM   #36

It’s handy to have a hitch on the vehicle being towed if you have to park the dolly someplace else t the campground. Lot easier to move it with a car than by hand or the rv.
Old 12-23-2021, 03:45 PM   #37

Tow dolky

FirstvBearings and bearing run-out. Second good tie down straps and third - all lights functional.
Penmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 03:54 PM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I have used a Demco Tow Dolly 3 has surge brakes since I purchased it in 2010. Towed our 2010 Toyota Prius for 4 years and now our 2015 Toyota Prius since new. Never had an issue with the Demco Tow Dolly. We used it with two Class A Motorhomes and now a Class C . Up and down mountain grades and never a issue. The only thing Iíve had to replace is tires and this year Iím replacing the tire straps just because they are old. Maintenance was minimal meaning grease and a drop of oil here and there. Changed brake fluid once. Used 303 protectant on fenders, tires and any exposed hoses and wires to prevent damage from sun. Itís heavy to move around but I bought a two wheeled trailer mover from Harbor Freight and I can reposition it easier at my older age. Thought I would share my experience with a tow dolly.
Camelot07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 03:58 PM   #39

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
Mike,

Towing on a dolly ..... you know that you CANNOT back up more than 3-4 feet without getting things in a "bind", and that is if your rig is perfectly straight...........
Most surge braked dollies have a lock-out to allow you to backup. It locks out the braked while reversing so the braked don't come on. You manually apply it before backing up. Most then self-release on driving forward.

Having Said that, backing up needs to be done with extreme care.

Strapping the wheels down needs to be done with extreme care as well. I once hit a pot-hole that uncoupled the strap from the dolly on one side, ending up damaging the toad's door. I now use the system used for race cars that wont unhook. Live and learn, someone could have been hurt if both uncoupled.

Do, make sure the dolly is rated for your toad, and BE SURE its wide enough for your TOADs wheelbase. The one you mention should be OK for most Toads.
Old 12-23-2021, 04:06 PM   #40

I’ve had a master tow dolly with and without surge brakes. If you plan to pull the dolly empty, be aware the surge brakes add play to the tongue/hitch. This means the dolly might sway at highway speed‘s, sometimes rather severely. It works perfectly when towing a car.
Old 12-23-2021, 04:09 PM   #41

Iíve had a master tow dolly with and without surge brakes. If you plan to pull the dolly empty, be aware the surge brakes add play to the tongue/hitch. This means the dolly might sway at highway speedĎs, sometimes rather severely. It works perfectly when towing a car.
Old 12-23-2021, 04:10 PM   #42

National RV Owners Club
I have the Acme EZE Tow Dolly

I've had mine for about seven years, and it works great.
jerry8mm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, dolly, tow, tow dolly