Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-23-2021, 04:14 PM   #43

I would recommend getting the electric brake controller. Don't know if every state requires it or not but I know that CA does if you have 5 lug nuts or more as it has something to do with weight - at least that's what I was told.

Just as IMPORTANT (unless you're really good mechanically) by an EXPERT in installing said controller.

I had a dealer install mine. When we were coming down the mountain en route to Death Valley, CA, they stopped working. Fortunately we found a great RV repair shop when we stopped for the night. When the mechanic got under the dashboard, he looked at me and said "did you install this yourself?" I responded - "what if I said yes?" Funny guy said "then I'd say you did a great job?" Then I told him "no" the dealer installed it. He gave me a strange look and just shook his head - that told me all I needed to know. Of course it took him 5-10 mins to get us back on the road, which NO CHARGE. Although he did get a nice tip (marry a rich older woman in poor health....

So to make a long story stop - unless you know what you're doing without looking at youtube I high recommend having an expert do it.
Tony Poggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2021, 04:23 PM   #44

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
That's true of all towing, isn't it?
No We tow a car trailer. One of the selling point to me was being able to back it up relatively easy. I can back into a back in site without unhooking. (if long enough) You can back up a dolly but you really have to be good at backing up. I never tried backing a flat tow.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 04:26 PM   #45

Tow Dolly

We had a Steyl tow dolly with hydraulic surge disc brakes. The best braking setup you can have on a tow dolly.
jimstewart_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 04:28 PM   #46

Quote:
I'm thinking of buying a used Tow Dolly. Is there anything I need to know or consider before buying?

I plan to get one with brakes. Surge brakes are preferred as I believe this is the easiest way to have brakes.

If I get a dolly with electric brakes, do I need some sort of "brake controller" or do I just connect directly to my Coach's brake light circuit (at the trailer light connector).

Any brands to steer away from?
Looks like the top brands are: Master Tow, Roadmaster, Demco

Thanks
My suggestion is do not go in that direction..I found out the hard way. The best way to go is all four down towing, much easier to connect and disconnect. So much less of a hassle than using a tow dolly.
Crimson Tide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 04:29 PM   #47

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I bought a tow dolly last year, never used it, and then sold. It was nearly impossible to move around the back yard with my riding mower, just to cut grass.
NEVER TRY TO BACK UP. Once you get to a campsite, what do you do with the dolly? It's heavy to move and most inconvenient, IMHO. I've seen a few others while camping, but most are flat tows.

I decided to update my car to a newer version that can be flat towed (4-down). Now I'm very happy.

GOOD LUCK
keymania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 04:29 PM   #48

Spartan Chassis
Measure the width from outside to outside of your vehicle wheels and make sure it will fit onto the dolly. I know someone who bought a used one several years ago only to discover his car wouldn't fit. He ended up selling it at a loss just to get rid of it.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 04:37 PM   #49

I bought a new Kar Kaddy SS and just love it. It has surge brakes and has given me no trouble at all. I have carried everything from a VW to a full size SUV. I keep it outside all year round and the Midwest weather and has had no effect on it for the last three years.
SgtMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 04:42 PM   #50

Commercial Member

Quote:
I'm thinking of buying a used Tow Dolly. Is there anything I need to know or consider before buying?

I plan to get one with brakes. Surge brakes are preferred as I believe this is the easiest way to have brakes.

If I get a dolly with electric brakes, do I need some sort of "brake controller" or do I just connect directly to my Coach's brake light circuit (at the trailer light connector).

Thanks

Don't forget TPM sensors for the two Dolly tires and two for the rear tires on the car that is on the dolly.
Old 12-23-2021, 04:52 PM   #51

Stehle

I have a Stehle tow dolly with surge disc brakes. I don't use whatever those chains are underneath. I use good straps (on my second set). I can turn off my surge brakes and back up a short distance with the car loaded. Without the car on it I can back it anywhere, usually in my site. I can back over the tongue a few feet so it takes up very little room. Most people that have been turned off on dollys is because they have driven over the front. You have to be very careful when loading and concentrate on what you are doing. If I ever have to replace mine I will probably get a master tow. Don't know what people are talking about with moving ramps and brake controls. I try to keep everything simple. It takes me about 10 minutes to load my car on and a little less to get it off. In 6 years I have replaced the tires and that is it. I do plan to buy a tongue wheel so I can move it around easier. It been across the country twice and halfway down BAJA.
jerryd151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 05:16 PM   #52

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tow Dolly

Quote:

Thanks
We just purchased a 2021 Tow Dolly, and it has surge brakes. It is perfect for pulling our car behind our gas 36' motor home. I average 8 mpg without and 6mpg with pulling the tow dolly at 65 mph. If I had one with electric brakes, I would have had to run a wire all the way up to the dashboard to a new brake controller that I don't have. So, we choose the surge brakes. We got one that was used one time for $1800. The price new was $2595 in North Carolina. The only problem I have experienced is backing it up as the brakes engage. I checked state law, (every state might be different), if your vehicle is over 3000 lb, it needs brakes on the dolly or in the car. There are a lot of dollies out there without brakes. If you take a car that weighs 2900 lbs and then add the 400 lbs. or so trailer, your trying stopping 1 1/2 tons of extra weight. I don't want to take a chance on having an accident because my trailer didn't have brakes. Even if it was under the weight rule. Drive safe.
Home Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 05:21 PM   #53

Tow Dolly!

Donít do it, had one blew my shoulder out winching tire down first thing. Have to lay on ground under it to fasten safety chains to car, may not have a place to put it when you get where you are going. Some states you have to license it.
Get a vehicle you can flat tow, much better, easier hook up, and better all around.
But if you insist the Road Master with surge brakes works great. Had one, but like I said , never again Lol.
Harley 2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 05:23 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Make sure you get one with electric brakes and then install a controller in the rv. Most rvs have a blue wire than goes from the harness up front to the rear of the coach to activate the brakes. Do not get surge brakes.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 05:26 PM   #55

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tow Dolly

I looked at several Dollieís before I decided to tow flat. Couldnít find one I could get a Mini Cooper on, due to ground clearance.
While researching, I ruled out electric brakes and drums as surge brakes with disc are more reliable , require less hardware (electrical connections), and more efficient. Plus you can pull it with about any vehicle with the proper hitch.
Here in Ohio, the dolly has to be licensed, another yearly expense.
Old 12-23-2021, 05:30 PM   #56

We used a tow dolly to tow a Prius V for a long trip across the country (Georgia to Oregon). The electric brakes worked fine with the Roadmaster dolly which is designed for relatively light vehicles. You do need a brake controller to actuate the brakes. The dolly has one big drawback. Loading the car onto the dolly is a bit troublesome
You need to align it carefully on the ramp. Ours had ramps that locked into place automatically with the weight of the car but you have to crawl on the ground to lock them in place. Then the biggest hassle was to attach the holding straps to the front wheels. This takes some practice to get right. You need the straps to secure the car to the dolly while moving. If the straps get cold, wet and dirty in rain or snow. They get stiff and hard to handle. Once the car is securely up on the dolly, towing is a breeze. Ours was well equipped with lights, turn and brake signals. fenders and reflectors. Watch out taking tight turns; you can easily damage your car.
Krikati is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, dolly, tow, tow dolly