Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-23-2021, 05:34 PM   #57

Entegra Owners Club
Don't

Been there, done that. Tow dollies are a pain. Do yourself a favor and tow 4 down. So much easier and no worry about what to do with the dolly when you get to your destination...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2021, 05:37 PM   #58

Surge brakes are fine, ask U Haul.

That's what they use on all of their towed equipment.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 05:37 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
I'm thinking of buying a used Tow Dolly. Is there anything I need to know or consider before buying?

I plan to get one with brakes. Surge brakes are preferred as I believe this is the easiest way to have brakes.

If I get a dolly with electric brakes, do I need some sort of "brake controller" or do I just connect directly to my Coach's brake light circuit (at the trailer light connector).

Any brands to steer away from?
Looks like the top brands are: Master Tow, Roadmaster, Demco

Thanks
Yep... Remember that, in most cases, it will be WIDER than your RV! Watch those turns!!
Rich 1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 05:39 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenthompson View Post
Itís handy to have a hitch on the vehicle being towed if you have to park the dolly someplace else t the campground. Lot easier to move it with a car than by hand or the rv.
Yep, I agree. I've done the same thing. If the MH is stored elsewhere, you can use the Dolly when you pick up the motorhome. I also thought if I had a need to for whatever reason, I could always hook up the tow dolly to the car and go home.
MSGDLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 05:49 PM   #61

License plate for Dolly isn't required in Ohio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger6730 View Post
I looked at several Dollieís before I decided to tow flat. Couldnít find one I could get a Mini Cooper on, due to ground clearance.
While researching, I ruled out electric brakes and drums as surge brakes with disc are more reliable , require less hardware (electrical connections), and more efficient. Plus you can pull it with about any vehicle with the proper hitch.
Here in Ohio, the dolly has to be licensed, another yearly expense.
That is incorrect, in Ohio as long as the car has a license plate, one is not required for the Dolly. If you were to use your dolly to pick up a car you just bought and the car didn't have a License plate, then a License plate on the dolly is required.

For what it's worth, I did plate mine. 1) I keep it available for our car club and folks sometimes move a car with no plate. 2) Some states, like Texas, do require a plate, and as we have relatives in Texas I decided to plate it and not have to worry about being questioned.

You can decide not to renew it next time and save yourself some $. The plates aren't getting any cheaper!

Dave Densmore
NE Ohio
MSGDLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 05:53 PM   #62

My tow dolly experiences over 4 years were all bad. Too narrow for a Honda van; electric brakes were largely ineffective with a car on the dolly, and locked the brakes on pavement without a car; dolly tire blow out did significant damage to the toad door; over shot the dolly during a loading in the rain - had to have a wrecker lift the car back onto the dolly; and was a pain to store when not in use. I'll never go back to a dolly.
olmsteaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 06:01 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhomeguy View Post
Been there, done that. Tow dollies are a pain. Do yourself a favor and tow 4 down. So much easier and no worry about what to do with the dolly when you get to your destination...
Us too. used the Dolly for little over a year before going to flat towing. My wife and I have the hook up down to less than 5 minutes now even attaching a shield to protect her Ford Edge. We both hated that Dolly.
NFH5548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 06:05 PM   #64

I've had my Acme tow dolly for 7 years. Never had to lube hubs. Had several blow outs and replaced fenders and lights. Tows fine. Don't mind the set up procedure. I carry extra straps and 2 spare tires on wheels. Had trouble finding correct wheels as Acme went to a 12 inch wheel. The correct 10 inch wheel is part number 20047 and several vendors on line carry it. I did a caliper/pad replacement job a few years ago. A full day's work. Needed a 9mm hex wrench. Caliper does not flex because of stiff fluid line. Only one pad wears out. Check it all out. Still a happy Acme user.
Payson Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 06:22 PM   #65

EZ Tow dolly

I had a solid axel EZ Tow unit, 10" wheels disc surge breaks w/breakaway and can store under the MH, you can also back up with it as it does NOT swivel!
kennyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 06:26 PM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The fold up ones are nice when you have a tight campsite.

I like the ones you can pull the pin and have the dolly wheels steer. It does not cut the corners as tight.

I like the one the the ramp are built into the platform. No ramps to deal with.
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 06:55 PM   #67

Tiffin Owners Club
Agreed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
Mike,
The Master Tow dolly you are looking at is a very good one.
I have an older one without the surge brakes and have towed our 2002 Dodge Caravan from Colorado to Florida and back over 10 times without an incident. I did uprate the tires when they were replaced last year.
I like the moving plate, and the permanent ramps make loading a breeze.

Towing on a dolly makes you think ahead when getting gas, and you know that you CANNOT back up more than 3-4 feet without getting things in a "bind", and that is if your rig is perfectly straight...........

Mike in Colorado

PS; I bought mine used for $500.00 on Craig's list
Likewise years ago I had a master tow with Surge brakes. I learned quickly and only one time had to actually disconnect to get myself out of a situation!!! Towed great. That was actually behind a 98 Pace Arrow gasser. Didnt even know it was back there.
Words of advise. watch the straps. any fraying buy new ones there relatively inexpensive and a simple safety measure.
One last thing. EVERYTIME you stop make the walk around a habit to check straps pins and connections. I had a close call one time where the tongue oin was not clasped and almost out...I typically would after about the first 15ish miles would make a quick stop and just verify all straps are still snug.
I am in the search for a tow dlly up in the Elkhart In. area in the next few weeks if any referrals out there!!!!
Ecuador Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 08:08 PM   #68

2 years towing with Roadmaster tow bar

Quote:
I'm thinking of buying a used Tow Dolly. Is there anything I need to know or consider before buying?

I plan to get one with brakes. Surge brakes are preferred as I believe this is the easiest way to have brakes.

If I get a dolly with electric brakes, do I need some sort of "brake controller" or do I just connect directly to my Coach's brake light circuit (at the trailer light connector).

Thanks
7,000 lbs release leveler on uneven surfaces:
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain, Non-Binding Tow Bar - Motorhome Mount - 2" Hitch - 6,000 lbs, and brake assist I used
Demco Stay-IN-Play DUO Supplemental Braking System w/ Wireless Coachlink Monitor - Proportional
Sunshineday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 08:10 PM   #69

Master Tow

Purchased a Master Tow, swivel base with basic surge brakes. The salesman assured it would fit our Honda Odyssey. Wrong! The Honda wheel base is too wide and when when turning the swivel base allowed the tow dolly fender to dent the rocker panel. I called Master Tow reps and was told "Honda Odyssey is a problematic tow", then "won't work with my F-150". So, I bought a Chevy Cruze with 70" wheel base and it barely fits. New cars are too wide and too low. Be certain of your wheelbase dimensions.
terntes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 09:13 PM   #70

Check the tires

Quote:

Thanks
I had the Kar Kaddy SS and it was a good choice, except for the tires. They were rated at 60 MPH (which was not a problem) and for under 90 degrees (which is why one of them caught on fire on I-25 in Colorado in the Summer). We bought a new tire and moved on, but the next car was a flat-towed Jeep.
Mikesrq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, dolly, tow, tow dolly