Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2015, 04:05 PM   #1

iRV2 No Limits Club
Are my wheel straps long enough? Acme "EZE-TOW" Tow Dolly

Got the van up on dolly this weekend. I am not sure if my straps are long enough for my tires( 235/65r16). Do these look long enough? I realize they will stretch, but should netting cover whole tire?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0078.JPG
Views:	1019
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	92065   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0077.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	92066  

quad80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2015, 07:22 PM   #2

I think they are fine, pretty much how mine fit.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:52 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
does your tire bump up against ledge to keep it from rolling forward if so good to go.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:42 AM   #4

My results were not so positive. They looked like yours and I re tightened them every 5 miles on a 25 mile first trip. When I finished, I found the straps hanging loose, not touching the tire. I now have an unused dolly for sale. I believe my tires are too wide.
KAMPURR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:24 PM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAMPURR View Post
My results were not so positive. They looked like yours and I re tightened them every 5 miles on a 25 mile first trip. When I finished, I found the straps hanging loose, not touching the tire. I now have an unused dolly for sale. I believe my tires are too wide.
I am willing to give it a try. My vehicle requires Tranny Pump didnt want to go that rout. These lowered floor wheelchair vans are tricky on most dollies. This one fit nice on EZE tow.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:33 PM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
I got email from Acme and he thought the strap placement was fine. I drove it around on my property making rounded turns and 90 degree right and left corners. It seem to track good. I need to take on road to get a feel for it, before honest thoughts on it.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:57 PM   #7

KAMPURR,
It sounds like you need to leave a little slack, before you crank up the straps.
They need to wrap around the winch a turn or 2.
That way it keeps the strap from slipping out of the slot.

Sort of like line, on a fishing reel.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:05 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Don't be afraid to give them a good hard crank. Make a couple 90* turns left and right and then crank then hard again.

On your first trip the straps will stretch some and will require more tightening than they will on the second trip
tim myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:07 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAMPURR View Post

Not sure where you got your tow dolly, but they do make larger straps for the cars with the 18" rims and such.
tim myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:05 AM   #10

The Acme "EZE-TOW" Tow Dolly

KAMPURR, what kind of tow dolly do you have for sale? Did you try a bigger set of wheel straps?

These red straps are our most commonly used straps As we had discussed previously I think they will be fine. We do have a bigger set but they are a lot bigger. Keep us informed.
EZE Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:54 AM   #11

I have the 18" wheel straps with the Acme and after following directions to a T, they came off. I am SURE it was my fault, problem is, my confidence is gone. I can't tow a $20,000 vehicle that might come off. I will not be using a tow dolly. Anyone. (Mod Edit) I am in Olympia, WA.

DAVE
Old 04-23-2015, 05:34 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Define hanging loose not touching the tire. I am having trouble comprehending. Do mean that they fell off?
Old 04-23-2015, 07:09 AM   #13

They were secured both in front and back of the tire, but lost the tension in the ratchet and fell to the side. Thinking it had something to do with the ratchet or they were too narrow for the tire. And yes, I did stop numerous times to re tighten.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:48 AM   #14

Too bad you didn't take a few photos of your setup. It is likely a simple solution.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly