Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2021, 02:57 PM   #1

Are new car electronics making Dollys more popular?

Traveling from Florida to Minnesota I am seeing more Dollys on the Road and in
Campgrounds than last year.
Maybe just coincidental, but, I wonder, are the sophisticated (complicated) electronics, AWD and the lack of manual transmissions in newer cars making people reconsider Dollys?
speedway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2021, 03:00 PM   #2

The younger generation don't know how to drive stick shift and they like the car they already own.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 03:35 PM   #3

My bet is a lot of the new RV owners did not plan ahead when it came to a flat tow compatible car.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 04:03 PM   #4

Car Dolly to me means a 2 wheel dolly that you put just the front wheels of the TOAD on.

With front wheel drive the norm, this may seem like a simpler solution, doesn't require any wiring, etc.

A tow dolly doesn't solve any issues with an AWD vehicle or RWD vehicle.

I have towed a vehicle behind my old 2015 GMC Canyon with a tow dolly. It did fine, but from a standpoint of an ongoing need, I would wonder about the MH brakes and overall stopping issues. At least with the tow dolly I rented from U-Haul, there were no brakes involved. Granted, the weight of the dolly and vehicle towed slightly exceeded the weight of my Canyon, but my stopping distance was greatly increased. It was a one time emergency, and I would not want to make a habit of it.

Do the tow dolly that people buy have braking capabilities? What is the cost of a tow dolly as opposed to the costs of the system, including all of the electrical/braking system? I would bet they are pretty comparable.

Two years ago, my wife and I were considering a Class C, and I discussed to some degree a regular Toad hookup versus a tow dolly. I don't remember all of the discussion in detail, but I concluded TOAD was the way I wanted to go.
Old 08-18-2021, 04:24 PM   #5

U Haul dollys have brakes again. It was due to some mixed up in the law that they removed them.

I dolly tow and have surge, disk brakes on my dolly. They work great.

I have been thru 4 different cars, all FWD, in the last 8 years and didn't have to modify any of them.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 04:32 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
If you look at the dinghy towing guide - they are not making a lot of cars that can be pulled 4 wheels down. So a lot of FWD can only be dolly towed. I just went thru replacing our toad. I took about 5 mts of looking at different "new and used" to finally pick one!

"Transmissions CVT & AWD" are the biggest issue with being towable
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 05:17 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
I didn't want to buy another vehicle, so I used my ex-work car as our toad. And since it was FWD, the choice was simple. Tow dolly.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:12 PM   #8

This issue is showing itself among those driving EV’s as well. Really the only way to tow an EV is with a dolly unless you want to trailer it. (We did that for a few years). It’s rare to see EV’s being towed at all and yet in the last few weeks we have seen both a Leaf and a Bolt on a dolly. .

Does anyone know if the new ford ranger can be towed four down? Nice alternative to the Jeep Wrangler.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 07:47 PM   #9

I think many think dollies are easier. I would never want to hook up a car to a tow dolly in the rain.
Winger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 08:21 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I did a bunch of digging before deciding to flat tow my Excursion. I could have picked up a used dolly, no brakes for around $1K or a new one with brakes for around $2500. Already had a tow bar and the coach half of the Air Force 1 system so cost wise, the used dolly would have been cheaper (and use our ‘21 Sentra). However, when I measured the Sentra, the height and distance from the wheel to the front of the car meant that I’d have to carry wood ramps to even get it on the dolly. No thank you. So, flat tow it is. Personally, I think given the current car market, if folks aren’t able to flat tow with what they have, the dolly is the best option with the least amount of cost. If I had to buy a tow bar and complete AF1 system, my path may have been different.
Scepter40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 10:39 PM   #11

Perhaps, but I bought a 2007 Toyota Yaris with Roadmaster base plate installed a couple of weeks ago for $2,400 in good overall condition
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
This issue is showing itself among those driving EV’s as well. Really the only way to tow an EV is with a dolly unless you want to trailer it. (We did that for a few years). It’s rare to see EV’s being towed at all and yet in the last few weeks we have seen both a Leaf and a Bolt on a dolly. .

Does anyone know if the new ford ranger can be towed four down? Nice alternative to the Jeep Wrangler.
I'm an EV owner, and will gladly get a dolly to tow my Volt, or more likely Spark EV when we hit the road in a couple of years. Yes, they're a pain, but to keep the EV I prefer to drive, I'll put up with it. I'd really rather have a Wrangler, and they have just come out with a PHEV version... if that can be towed flat.... Hmmmm
Old 08-19-2021, 06:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
My bet is a lot of the new RV owners did not plan ahead when it came to a flat tow compatible car.
I agree 100%. More first time RVers joining than ever before. When I purchased our first motorhome we didn't have a towable car either. We tried renting cars and it actually worked pretty good but quickly moved on getting a towable 4 down toad.
twojayhawks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:28 AM   #14

I bought a Tandem Tow Dolly. I was going to tow my wife's SUV (FWD and has a Neutral Tow Option) and our customized golf cart. However, I am over the 500lb tongue weight so I have only been towing the car, no cart. I cannot adjust the point that the car sits on the dolly. We have surge brakes on the dolly and they work great. I had to emergency stop last time out and everything slowed down quickly and safely.
Sparkman337 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly