Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #1

Attaching Blue Ox 7335 tow bar questions

I need some help understanding what I need to connect the BX7335 tow bar to my 2005 Itasca Suncruiser 37B RV. The RV has a built in receiver and sits at around 26" high. The BX7335 tow bar will be attached to my Jeep Liberty (Blue Ox base plate) at around 19" from the ground. What do I need to insert into my RV receiver and attach to the BX7335 tow bar?

My thinking is that I need a drop down receiver that will insert into my RV receiver and then the BX7335 tow bar would attach to the drop down receiver. Is that correct? What else, if anything, do I need?

Thanks
osgoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
That should be it, but I will caution you that IMHO it is not an optimal setup. Yes, ideally you want the tow bar to be level, but using an 7" drop down hitch (depending on your overhang) may put it very close to the ground if you go up a steep ramp. Do a search for bent dropdown receivers. A better solution would be to see if you can mount your toad plates a little higher so that you need less of a drop down. With my Roadmaster bar, I was able to mount the plates upside down so that I could go straight into the receiver and have a level bar.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
That should be it, but I will caution you that IMHO it is not an optimal setup. Yes, ideally you want the tow bar to be level, but using an 7" drop down hitch (depending on your overhang) may put it very close to the ground if you go up a steep ramp. Do a search for bent dropdown receivers. A better solution would be to see if you can mount your toad plates a little higher so that you need less of a drop down. With my Roadmaster bar, I was able to mount the plates upside down so that I could go straight into the receiver and have a level bar.
Thanks for the feedback but I cannot move the base plates.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, you need a drop receiver adapter. Try to use the minimal drop to get you within the BO spec for level.

My Jeep is lifted and I connect to an aftermarket bumper (no base plate), and need no drop to be quite level.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by osgoor View Post
Thanks for the feedback but I cannot move the base plates.
Every mfg is different, but with the Roadmaster they have intermediate plates to carry the quick release crossbar, and I was able to flip them over to change the height of the bar by 4". Like vsheetz suggested, use the smallest amount of drop to get you within spec. I know that Roadmaster cautions on more than 3" out of level.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #6

The drop receiver is correct. The 6” drop is the BX88130 which is what you would need.

Please feel free to contact our Customer Care Team at 800-228-9289, 24 hours a day/7 days a week with any question you may have.

Roxanne Simonsen
Blue Ox
BlueOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #7

I was going to say most things I read say the bar should be within 3 inches of level. But I think blue ox out to know there stuff.
johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing they sometimes forget to mention.

On my RV the hitch has a 5,000 pound rating, I towed 4,000 (Which is the RV's max tow rating) with it till it broke.. Yup broke.

What broke the hitch towing 1,000 below it's rating?

I was using a drop hitch adapter (Still am but now tow 2,500 pounds and the receiver's mounting brackets have been.. Well.. Rebuilt.. By people who BUILD!!! and went if anything a bit overboard in improvements.

Tags
blue ox