Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:15 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Aux brakes for DP toad

Can't find exactly what I'm looking for with the search function so.....I need auxiliary brakes for a Ford C-Max Hybrid on a Blue Ox Alpha tow bar behind my DP. Some of the reading I've done suggests certain systems aren't all that compatible with DP's because of the air brakes and engine/exhaust brake. My preference would be for a portable system that sets up easily/quickly. Can I use a proportional portable set up? What do you guys use and do you like it? Thanks
Dave
MoHo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2018, 01:42 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Dave.....Toad braking systems are one of the few items where there is no perfect setup. Typically, most things you buy, there is a good, better and best. Not so with braking systems. There are just too many.

I have a DP and I tow a fairly heavy toad, a 2016 GMC Canyon. For that reason, I wanted a fairly substantial system. I installed the SMI Air Force One unit. It's a proportional system that uses the DP's air system to proportionally apply the brakes on the toad. It's a quality system and once installed, only involves connecting an air line with a quick connect, over and above plugging in the standard umbilical cord.

In your situation, your coach has plenty of braking power to control the Ford C-Max. Unfortunately, many states require you have a braking system and for safety reasons, you really should have a break away system in case the toad comes loose.

Again, in your situation, a lot of braking power is not needed. I'm not a fan of the ReadyBrake braking system for heavier toads, but for your situation, it's inexpensive, easy to connect when installed and everything is incorporated in the tow bar. The ReadyBrake/ReadyBrute system would be a good set up for your toad.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:16 PM   #3

You may want to look into the Brake Buddy system. It has proportional braking, is a stand-alone unit that takes only a few minutes to set up and remove when you tow. Iíve been happy with it towing my Jeep Liberty behind a DP.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:20 AM   #4

Check out the M & G brake system. It uses the air from the coach to brake the toad. Not a lot of wiring to hook up either.

good luck on your search.
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:29 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcpl View Post
Check out the M & G brake system. It uses the air from the coach to brake the toad. Not a lot of wiring to hook up either.

good luck on your search.
X2 on M&G
Old 04-20-2018, 01:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHo Dave View Post
My preference would be for a portable system that sets up easily/quickly. Can I use a proportional portable set up? What do you guys use and do you like it?
Absolutely, you can use a proportional portable system, and there are several to choose from. Google is your friend.

I happen to own, use, and like my RVi3 proportional portable brake system. It's been the subject of other threads here recently. Suggest you read those.

Someone mentioned the M&G system and described it as having "not a lot of wires to hook up". The downside of systems which rely on coach air is that they involve much more involved installations, and are more difficult to remove if you ever want to sell the toad. Neither is true with a portable system, and with a portable system like the RVi3, hookup consists of the breakaway connector and 12v power, so "not a lot of wires to hook up" with it either.

There are lots of options - you just have to sift through the details and decide which one best fits your needs.
fottip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:59 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1000 View Post
X2 on M&G
X3 on M&G
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:15 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Dave.....Toad braking systems are one of the few items where there is no perfect setup. Typically, most things you buy, there is a good, better and best. Not so with braking systems. There are just too many.

I have a DP and I tow a fairly heavy toad, a 2016 GMC Canyon. For that reason, I wanted a fairly substantial system. I installed the SMI Air Force One unit. It's a proportional system that uses the DP's air system to proportionally apply the brakes on the toad. It's a quality system and once installed, only involves connecting an air line with a quick connect, over and above plugging in the standard umbilical cord.

In your situation, your coach has plenty of braking power to control the Ford C-Max. Unfortunately, many states require you have a braking system and for safety reasons, you really should have a break away system in case the toad comes loose.

Again, in your situation, a lot of braking power is not needed. I'm not a fan of the ReadyBrake braking system for heavier toads, but for your situation, it's inexpensive, easy to connect when installed and everything is incorporated in the tow bar. The ReadyBrake/ReadyBrute system would be a good set up for your toad.
X2!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:17 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Air Force 1 or M&G are both reliable and invisible for the most part after installed. Hook up is about as easy as it gets. I have used both of these systems and both are great. I started with AF1 as it has all the right stuff for a coach side install. We later added a Jeep to tow and I put the M&G on it.

Do your part.....
Spk64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:19 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is not a system on the market I know of that is NOT compatible with a DP with air brakes. There are 3 different types of systems

Some are Air/Hydraulic of these ONE that I know of, possibly 2, use the DP's air to operate the brtakes (M&G is the best if it will fit your towed, some cars it simply does not fit)

Most use either the brake light switch and/or Inertial sensors (If the RV is slowing down and fast (IE: Brakes on) apply towed brakes)

Some use ONLY the inertial sensor

Some (Ready Brake) use a spring and lever system if the towed is pushing against the RV. apply brakes.. I'm looking at that system

NOTE: all the above are fully Comparable with both DP'ds asnd Gassers though the ones that use the Motor Home's air need an aux compressor on a gasser.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:36 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have used the RoadMaster BrakeMaster 9160 since I started towing around 2004. Easy setup and fully proportional.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:49 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks for the input. Been camping in the mountains and haven't had service for a few days. Think I'll look at the portable systems.......
Thanks again
Dave
MoHo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:37 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Dave,

It's worth noting that if you go with an 'add on' system, is the issue of chassis warranty. At the time I installed an Air Force One system on our coach, it was the only brake system on the market approved by Spartan. Looks like you have a new rig so check with your chassis manufacturer before you make any modifications.
UncleJamie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes, toad