Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2016, 07:28 PM   #1

aux transmission pump removal little help

I am removing the Remco pump from our toad. As there is one hose going into the pump and one coming out I assume?? I just plug both hose ends? As the pump isn't working when not plugged into coach I don't think any fluid goes through the pump so just plugging both hoses should be the same thing. What do you guys think?
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2016, 07:36 PM   #2

I installed my own Remco pump , there is a pick up fitting in the pan , and a fluid pressure sensor in the outlet line from the pump . You can cap the line from the pan , but you need that pressure sensor ; to do a re-install; so finding it and removing it from the trans cooler hose , and reconnecting the factory hose is important.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:47 PM   #3

Here is a diagram on how the transmission pup should be plumbed. From the diagram it looks like what you said is correct.

Side Note:
I removed a Remco Transmission pump from my Chrysler Town and Country back in 2005 when we traded the T&C in for another vehicle. I then installed the pump in a fuel wagon so I can fuel the tractor by rolling the fuel waggon up to the tractor and plug the pump in. Sure beats trying to lift 5 gallon containers up to shoulder height to pour the diesel in. That pump has been faithfully performing its new duty for an additional 11 years now.
Attached Images

2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:17 AM   #4

Remco

While I have you guys on the post I want to run a PROBLEM by you. This thing is driving me crazy. I had the pump installed last May by a dealer who had been in business for 20 years. He retired and closed shop after installation. The problem is that whenever it gets above 75 degrees the alarm inside goes off. I have had it in the shop more times than I can count. I'm almost up to TWO GRAND in trying to keep the pump cool?? Called Remco and they said to make sure hot wires were not connected with anything else as that can cause problem with alarm. Had that checked and changed to go direct to fuse box. No change. Had TWO extra transmission coolers installed. Still alarm goes off when it gets warm out. Had the pump moved twice to different location so more air could get to it. No change. Had car hot wired so both car radiator fan motors are running all the time pulling air through the transmission coolers!! No change. Propped the hood open 2 feet to let air into engine compartment and damn thing still goes off. I can't tell if it is a false reading because by the time I pull over and go back to check the pump the alarm stops???? I am sure it is a heat issue as the other day the temp stayed in low 70s outside and alarm didn't go off. The hoses to the pump are warm but not that hot. I just don't understand why the pump should get hot just pumping fluid through the transmission. I have exhausted everything I know trying to fix this. Think I am just going to remove the pump and send it back to Remco and have them look at it, if they will. Any thoughts from anyone ??
Old 07-12-2016, 09:11 AM   #5

My understanding from using this pump way back when, is the alarm sounds when the transmission fluid stops flowing through the pump. On my instillation, there was a pressure switch that would sound an alarm when pressures dropped to low. Mine was not wired to show a hot pump.

I guess I need to read up on this some more.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:29 AM   #6

Here are two pictures of the Remco Fluid Flow system. The one is the flow valve (pressure switch) that detects whether or not there is flow/pressure from the pump. The other shows the entire system. These drawings came from the following link on page 11 and others.
http://www.drivetrain.com/images/sto...structions.pdf

If it was me, I would look at the pressure switch and its connections. Make sure they are clean and corrosion free. Then look at your umbilical wire that connects the toad to the coach. The plugs are critical to this whole system. THey must have good electrical conductivity. Make sure it is clean and corrosion free especially the pins and internal plug connections. If you are getting an alarm, something is wrong, and if all connections are good, then maybe you have a low pressure problem. But I just don't see this as a hot pump problem. In my humble opinion, if you spent $2000 trying to fix this simple system, you are going to the wrong person.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2016, 06:51 AM   #7

aux pump

The last shop went all through the system. They found a pinched hose and thought that was the problem. This pump has a thermal sensor and when it gets hot it shuts down. The reason I don't believe it is an electrical or pressure problem is that when it is cool outside the pump runs fine with no alarm. When it gets warm the alarm starts going off. It has done this since the day it was installed?
Old 07-13-2016, 08:41 AM   #8

OK,I will agree that most electric motors do have a thermal switch to shut down when very hot. That switch could be defective inside the motor. BUT...
Unless you actually know for sure the pump motor is shutting down, there could be other things causing the alarm problem. The pressure switch, the electrical connections, the pinched hose. Since you had a pinched hose, I am suspect of other parts of the installation may be questionable.

Since you mentioned you had a pinched hose, there is a possibility the hose is still restricted inside it especially if the hose was on the suction side of the pump. It may not be apparent on the outside, when the fluid warms up and the hose gets a little soft, the internal rubber in the hose may restrict the flow. I would replace that hose.

The connection down at the transmission pan, could be restricted. I dropped the transmission pan and drilled my hole making sure everything was free and clear and no metal shavings were left behind. Could it be the installer did not drop the pan and shavings are blocking the suction hole?

The diverter valve could be either defective or clogged with debris.

Anyway, I have exhausted my limited knowledge of Remco Transmission Pump especially since it was so long ago I use one. So I will wish you luck and happy travels. I hope you get it fixed and working.

Pete
Old 07-14-2016, 07:03 AM   #9

pump

Thanks for replys again. I am so frustrated with this miserable thing? I was pretty sure it was a "hot" pump issue as it didn't sound the alarm when it was cold outside. Now it seems it just goes off anytime. Tried emailing Remco techs and called several times with no returned calls. Going to remove pump and send it in. Let them tell me if it is good or not??

Tags
removal, transmission