Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2021, 03:35 PM   #1

Auxilary brake lights for dolly

I have a Acme EZE tow dolly and plan to tow my KIA Sorento. While the dolly has its own lights that plug into the MH, I feel that putting temporary magnetic mounted brake lights on the top of the SUV will give me added safety. I have seen a YouTube by someone who did this and had a special adapter that plugged into the RV connector by the hitch that allowed for two flat pin light connectors - one for the dolly and another for the aux lights. Has anyone seen anything like this and where would I buy them.
VillageNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2021, 04:19 PM   #2

When we had the dolly, I made a 'Y' adapter for the extra wiring. Simple since it was only 4 wires.
Male to MH , with 2Females receptacles, one for the dolly and one for the long cable to the back of car.
Solder and seal 'your adapter' wires. Secure the long 4flat wires on tow dolly, then in drivers door and out the back hatch.

Ken
Kenny Loney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:42 PM   #3

Here's one at Amazon:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K43GKVJ
Old 03-02-2021, 04:43 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Like this........

https://www.amazon.ca/Universal-Y-Sp...NPA690WB5DC1GS
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:05 PM   #5

Damn, $10.... I'd probably end up spending $30 and building one cuz I didn't know they made them.
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:19 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentw View Post
Damn, $10.... I'd probably end up spending $30 and building one cuz I didn't know they made them.
If you have a Princess Auto near by, they will have parts to make one if you must, but Amazon will send it to your door.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 03-03-2021, 07:41 AM   #7

Thanks for the Amazon links. This should do the trick. Is there a reason to run to wire through the car as opposed to just over the roof and under the windshield wiper to keep it from blowing around too much? I would think that closing doors on the wiring could damage it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for aux lights that stay put and don't scratch the car finish?
VillageNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:19 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like to run them under the car, and then up the back. We have a Mazda 3 hatchback and I ran the wire up inside the bottom and out the top.

You want to keep the wires from moving. I use a piece of electrical tape every couple inches. It doesn't take much movement to scuff the paint, as I found out when towing my Ranger.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:24 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The rubber seal is soft enough to protect the wires.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageNomad View Post
Thanks for the Amazon links. This should do the trick. Is there a reason to run to wire through the car as opposed to just over the roof and under the windshield wiper to keep it from blowing around too much? I would think that closing doors on the wiring could damage it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for aux lights that stay put and don't scratch the car finish?
The seals on the doors will prevent damage to the wires. Running the wires over the roof will most likely result in scratches on the roof. You don't want the wires to be able to wiggle back and forth where they're going over the paint of the car. Running them under or inside prevents that. I go under to the driver door, then inside and out the hatch.

To keep the lights from scratching the paint, you can put something VERY THIN, like a piece of cloth or felt, between the lights and the car. It has to be thin though so the magnets still get a good grip to keep the lights from bouncing off. My lights came with something on the bottom already to prevent scratching.

Tags
brake, brake lights, dolly, light, lights