Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2018, 06:05 PM   #197

Newmar Owners Club
Maybe a few states dont have it but for safety sake yours and fellow drivers why wouldnt you
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2018, 06:06 PM   #198

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
yes
Old 11-12-2018, 06:06 PM   #199

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Yes.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 11-12-2018, 06:37 PM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by doak125 View Post
Hello everyone.
Do you use a auxiliary braking system for your toad? No need to justify your choice. Just curious to see the numbers.
Just a simple yes or no.
Thanks.
Dan
Towing Laws | Brake Buddy®
Interesting read.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:46 PM   #201

Spartan Chassis
Yes. Post the poll results if you get around to tabulating them.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:20 PM   #202

I don’t leave home without it or DW
Old 11-12-2018, 07:42 PM   #203

Smile

Yes
Old 11-13-2018, 03:59 AM   #204

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes with Breakaway
Old 11-13-2018, 05:33 AM   #205

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I don't stay in state, but am legal when I do drive. I was simply replying to an inaccurate statement.

I have somehow become the only voice for what a lot of us most likely know is not as uncommon as it appears on this thread.

Every thing I have said has been attacked. I can take it, and am always honest, but when people make general statements that include me being wrong, or illegal, I do have a tendency to correct the record.

I have a motor home, and use it when I can. I enjoy the time I get to camp, and the time I get to spend with my kids. I only get a few weeks a year to do this, and I use it to the best of my ability.

We are all different. I cannot use it more at this time in my life, but would like to. If I have more time and more money, I may do things differently. I would not do things significantly differently, however.

The OP wanted simple honest statements, and said not to debate the value of brakes or not. But every post, and every statement I have made here has been responded to with snide comments. Something to consider.

If people are to be honest and state their truths, it may make sense to not attack each and every statement they make, or they will not post. Then there is no debate.
Yes I do and there is more of an issue here. I could care less about the system in a normal braking situation. A year or so ago I was going east early one weekday morning on a two lane 55 MPH highway. I had on my sunglasses, my window shade was as low as possible and all I could see was a huge yellow sun I was going into. I caught the image of a school bus going west. I never saw the yellow caution lights come on that it was slowing to pick up children. Suddenly, I see RED flashing lights. I quickly applied hard braking and I barely got stopped before the approaching bus. Children were going to cross the road in front of me, to board the bus. I was not 10 miles from home! I needed that brake system. I was able to stop the MH and the 4000 lb toad behind me.

That game of "I stay close to home" doesn't hold water. You could be risking someone's life. One or a thousand miles why take a chance.
I didn't post this to insult or hurt anyone's feelings. I posted it because safety equipment not only protects you, it also can protect someones loved one!
Old 11-13-2018, 07:22 AM   #206

Aux Brake

Yes, most states require it
Old 11-13-2018, 07:46 AM   #207

Yes, it’s required by law.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:26 AM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
Ummmm..... yes it is
When the judge asks you if your vehicle was equipped with an emergency brake that could have prevented the head-on with a bus going the other direction, you may not have a good day with that answer..
Not sure how the brakes on my 2,300 lb toad could prevent me from having a head on with a bus? Explain please.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:39 AM   #209

Ford Super Duty Owner
yes, from day one.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:00 AM   #210

Toad braking

Yes, required in California, probably most other states as well.
Closed Thread

Tags
brake, brakes