Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2019, 06:28 PM   #1

Aventa any good?

When we bought our coach it came with an Aladdin tow bar it seemed to be in descent shape but after 14000 miles it seems to be getting worn/loose. I tow a Jeep unlimited. I was going to pick up a rebuild kit but found a brand new Aventa still in the box for dirt cheap as in less than the parts to rebuild mine.

Are they any issues with the Aventa? It is much heavier than the Aladdin so that's a plus.

Thoughts? Input?
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2019, 08:24 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
We have towed our ‘08 Taurus X over 80,000 miles with the Blue Ox Aventa tow bar without any problems. As long as you are lined up behind your MH, no sharp angle, hooking up and unhooking is a smooth operation. Had it rebuilt one time at the factory in Pender, NE.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetMan View Post
We have towed our ‘08 Taurus X over 80,000 miles with the Blue Ox Aventa tow bar without any problems. As long as you are lined up behind your MH, no sharp angle, hooking up and unhooking is a smooth operation. Had it rebuilt one time at the factory in Pender, NE.
Thank you for the review that's what I wanted to hear.

I was able to speak to the neighbors of the previous owners of our coach/tow bar over the weekend. They bought the tow bar new when they bought the coach and only put two trips from Upstate NY to FL and back towing a small sub-compact car so relatively lightly used. So somewhere around 6000 miles plus the approx. 14000 I put on it. I was a bit surprised it wore out so quickly. All though our Wrangler unlimited is quite a bit heavier it is still well below the Aladdin's max carry capacity. Hopefully the 10k rating the Aventa has will hold up longer.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:36 AM   #4

Check the welds on that tow bar for cracks and pitting. Blue Ox products seem to have a higher rate of sub-standard welds than any other manufacturer. I have looked at many Blue Ox products and some of the welds were scary on their tow bars and baseplates.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:46 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have been using my Aventa for 10 years, putting in 4-5 thousand miles a year and I've never had a problem with it. I do have it serviced no later then once every two years. It's easy to hook up and it's never bound up.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:31 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I have an Aventa LX towbar I picked up lightly used to tow my Wrangler 2dr. It has the spherical ball and socket design. It has been working great for the few times I have flat towed. Much better than the old A frame bar I used to have. I did some searching on line and found out that Blue Ox has discontinued that design.
I've asked on a few of the forums if anyone knows why, including this one, and nobody seems to know. I think it's a big secret!
I have also read about Blue Ox having problems with their aluminum tow bars which have also been discontinued.
Safe travels.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetMan View Post
I used an Aventa for 9 years. Had a few occasions where I had to disconnect in partial or full turn conditions.. no problem. Just have someone start the toad, foot on the brake and turn the steering from one direction to the other while you hold the locking levers down. That removes the tension, the levers will release and the pins are easily removed.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:36 AM   #8

OP: Did you already buy the Aventa? I just bought a brand new Aventa 2 (not the 1), for 400 bucks from Adventure RV. They have a bunch of them available until they sell out. Haven't used mine yet, but we'll be doing a 3-4 week trip (about 4k miles) in August, pulling my 2017 Taurus SHO.
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadfrog View Post
OP: Did you already buy the Aventa? I just bought a brand new Aventa 2 (not the 1), for 400 bucks from Adventure RV. They have a bunch of them available until they sell out. Haven't used mine yet, but we'll be doing a 3-4 week trip (about 4k miles) in August, pulling my 2017 Taurus SHO.
Not yet I am waiting on the person selling their new one to get back in town. It's a great deal but if that falls through I will definitely give Adventure a call. Thanks
Old 06-21-2019, 01:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasdaqsam View Post
Not yet I am waiting on the person selling their new one to get back in town. It's a great deal but if that falls through I will definitely give Adventure a call. Thanks
Roger that. Here's the link if you're interested:

https://www.adventurerv.net/blue-ave...g-p-26767.html
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent