Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2020, 09:05 AM   #1

Avis Car Sales has Towable Jeeps For Sale

I was looking for a used Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk and found out that Avis car sales has Cherokee Trailhawk, Grand Cherokee Limited and Wrangler towable 4x4's for sale. In fact, most of the 2019 Trailhawks listed for sale by dealers locally were previous rentals.

I bought a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk with 28,000 miles for $18,400. Original MSRP was $35,000. Clean CarFax, passed inspection and 8,000 miles left on the factory warranty. Insurance stated the value as $22,400.

Sale was pretty painless. They had already sold the one I first wanted and honored the same price on the one I ended up buying.

Disclaimer: I have no business with Avis other than being a satisfied customer and I hope this information can help someone looking for a used toad.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200516_185403b.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	286158  
JohnPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2020, 09:42 AM   #2

Congrats! I have been buying service vans from Enterprise for years for my business. They send me a fresh list every month including all the cars, SUV's, etc. They are flush with Jeeps too. Guessing the car rental business is in the tank & they are, maybe, more aggressing than usual with pricing to clear some vehicles. Anyway I've had excellent luck buying from rentals & will continue. Enjoy your Trailhawk! Too bad you are going to lose those beautiful tow hooks for the base plate install
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:37 AM   #3

Thanks!

Quote:
Too bad you are going to lose those beautiful tow hooks for the base plate install
[/QUOTE]

I know! I might have to do like RVLove and fabricate a set using the hooks and another set of brackets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep-Tow-Hook-Bracket_rfw.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	286174  
Old 05-20-2020, 01:51 PM   #4

^^^^^^definitely! The tow hooks make the front of the trailhawk.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:05 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I just bought my 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk. I'm gonna paint my base plate red.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:22 PM   #6

I've tried for over a month to get a 2019 Trailhawk from Avis. The first car showed up but was black and we ask for white. Then the next 4 cars never made it to the Avis location. I got a phone call, email and a text saying time to pick up the car. I get to Avis and no car. They lost the last 4 cars on the way to the office. Yesterday they call and said they had my car and was looking at it in parking lot. I drove over to pick up the car but it was awful. It had enough sand in backseat to build a sand castle. The spare tire and jack was missing. Dents and scratches, stains in the seats plus a bad smell. The main issue was you could see where the cover around the airbag had been off and not put back correctly.
The first car we drove that was wrong color was a great car. Not sure what is going on with losing the 4 other cars but the price is around $3k less than the local dealers had for the same car. I'm waiting on a call back to try one more time before I give up on Avis.
Fishpcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:51 PM   #7

The Orlando location took over a week to get in touch with me and by then I had made the purchase elsewhere.

Edwin Gould and Mark Cohen (Manager) at the Pompano Beach location got right back to me when I inquired about a white one they had on the lot but it was already sold. They offered me the graphite one that was "on the lot" at West Palm for the same price. When I picked it up they had a few small dings popped out and the vehicle detailed.

During the time I was looking, the Cherokees did seem to move around a lot. There were 20 listed in the Orlando area at first and then all but 1 disappeared and went to other locations in Florida, mostly Jacksonville...

John
Old 05-20-2020, 04:03 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I was told that rental car agencies do not purchase vehicles with the factory tow option, a requirement for me. So I looked elsewhere. Was I misinformed?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
I was told that rental car agencies do not purchase vehicles with the factory tow option, a requirement for me. So I looked elsewhere. Was I misinformed?
No, they do not have any options. But from what I understand on reading some Cherokee forums, is that the 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk only needs the Mopar hitch, wiring kit and the computer flashed to match the tow option. Indeed, looking at my build sheet, I already have the heavy duty cooling, oil cooler, aux trans oil cooler and max towing is 4,500 pounds. YMMV

John
Old 05-20-2020, 05:35 PM   #10

I wanted the white one in Pompano Beach but the day I started to over it was sold. They had the dark gray but I was holding out for the white. Five whites one day and zero the next.
The Trailhawk is all setup to tow. The 2019 don't need the special wiring from Mopar but 2016-2018 will, that's what I was told by E trailer.
Everyone I spoke with that is towing the Trailhawk loves it.
My wife hated the way our Wrangler Limited rode but she loves the Trailhawk. So guess what we are getting.
Fishpcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:09 AM   #11

Curious how you guys feel about the engine performance. Car and Driver calls it “lethargic”, but they can overstate a lot of times.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
The thread is about Jeeps that can be towed, not Jeeps that can tow.

But yeah, I can't see any rental agency specing a Jeep with a tow package.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:33 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know if Hertz Sales has Jeep availability. But we've bought cars from them. Good pricing, easy no pressure sale - overall a very good experience.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I don't know if Hertz Sales has Jeep availability. But we've bought cars from them. Good pricing, easy no pressure sale - overall a very good experience.
Hertz only has Cherokee Limiteds which have the Active Drive I that is not 4 wheel down towable. They do have Grand Cherokee Limiteds which are towable.

John

Tags
for sale, jeep, sale, tow