Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2015, 03:24 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Backing On Tow Dolly?

Why can't you tow a truck on your tow dolly, with the truck backed on the dolly? The steering wheel will be locked, via the ignition lock, so the front tires will be straight. With my Roadmaster tow dolly, the platform will swivel as I turn, so what's the problem?
Grady Ray

Grady Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2015, 05:06 PM   #2

You should have no problem doing that. As a tow truck operator I tow rear wheel drive vehicles like that all the time. One recommendation I would make is that you not rely on the ignition/steering wheel lock alone. They sell spring loaded steering wheel holders or as I do, simply wrap the seat belt around the bottom of the wheel once and connect it to its buckle.
CFDfireman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:14 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
front end alignment will be shot after extended tow as well as tires
Old 06-04-2015, 06:07 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pds47 View Post
Why should they be shot ? Not worse then towing a front wheel drive with a rear independant suspension !
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:20 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFDfireman90 View Post
You should have no problem doing that. As a tow truck operator I tow rear wheel drive vehicles like that all the time. One recommendation I would make is that you not rely on the ignition/steering wheel lock alone. They sell spring loaded steering wheel holders or as I do, simply wrap the seat belt around the bottom of the wheel once and connect it to its buckle.
I wrap the seat belt threw the steering wheel.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:24 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Apparently you have never studied or did any front end alighnments.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:18 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
So it would make no difference between toe in and toe out on tire wear then why have it aligned at all ?
Old 06-05-2015, 07:24 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I did that years ago and it didn't work out so well. Was towing a Bronco II and it fish tailed something terrible when I got up to speed. Had to put it on like normal and all was fine. I figured it equated to pulling a trailer without enough tongue weight. The only way you will know is to try it and see if it works for you. Randy
Old 06-05-2015, 07:34 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady Ray View Post
Why can't you tow a truck on your tow dolly, with the truck backed on the dolly? The steering wheel will be locked, via the ignition lock, so the front tires will be straight. With my Roadmaster tow dolly, the platform will swivel as I turn, so what's the problem?
Grady Ray

The caster/camber - toe in/out is set up for traveling forward. Tow trucks tow this way for short distances. I would not recommend this style of towing for long distances. You will for sure see tire wear in a short period of time I would think? The biggest thing here.......DO NOT trust the ignition key tumbler lock to keep the wheels straight/locked, the ignition lock is not intended for this service and if it fails.......well, you will for sure see your TOAD in your mirror's as the tires will turn to one side or the other being towed backwards. I have seen people towing this way in my travels though...........a couple of times.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:49 AM   #10

Short trips you can load the truck the way you are suggesting. On a long trip you may cause some abnormal wear to the tires on the ground. It won't actually do anything to the front alignment, just the tires. You definitely need to use the seat belt or something to hold the steering wheel, or something to lock the front wheels so they can't move. Don't trust the ignition lock to do that.
Don_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:48 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I seen a few going down the road with an F150 (or something) on the dolly backwards. Looks funny as heck.

Front end alignment is normally toe in, backwards would be toe out so tire wear may be a little different. As others say, do not rely on the ignition lock to hold the wheel.

I would use a rope or tie the seat belt around the wheel.

Take a couple photos. and post them up here.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:16 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
So it would make no difference between toe in and toe out on tire wear then why have it aligned at all ?
Some cars specs call for toe in and others call for toe out although it be a small amount on weather it has front steer or rear steer componants. The tires will wear the same going forward or backward if it is running in a straight line. The bigest reason for getting a wheel alignment is to have the suspention parts checked and to get the camber and caster and toe set to spec's. Camber and caster has all to do with how the tires track while going around corners but if these are not corect or at least the same on each side it won't want to go in a straight line very well.

Just thought you would like to know.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:08 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I seen a few going down the road with an F150 (or something) on the dolly backwards. Looks funny as heck.

Front end alignment is normally toe in, backwards would be toe out so tire wear may be a little different. As others say, do not rely on the ignition lock to hold the wheel.

I would use a rope or tie the seat belt around the wheel.

Take a couple photos. and post them up here.
Video might be more fun!!
tim myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:40 AM   #14

Backwards on tow dolly

Since you have the rear tires strapped to the dolly, the steering would have to be locked in perfect center steering to experience zero front tire scrubbing. Once again, the amount of tire scrubbing would be relative to how close you are able to lock the steering in center position. That's very hard to do! Short distance towing may not show significant wear, however long distance towing may show significant scrub wear. Demco does not authorize towing vehicles on their dollies this way. If you must tow a RWD vehicle on a dolly, you must tow with the front wheels on the dolly and disconnect the driveline at the differential.
grady8288 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, tow dolly, dolly