Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2018, 10:48 AM   #1

Backing onto tow dolly?

I can't tow my stick-shift car with the rear wheels on the ground due to the transmission design. I once towed a transaxle car by backing it on and strapping the steering wheel in place. I don't recall how often I did it though. Has anyone used this procedure with success?
Qwimby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2018, 11:10 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
No dolly manufacturer recommends it. The towed vehicle steering geometry and strength is designed for going forward. But that said people do it anyway and it seems to work if you're careful.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:15 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I have seen it done. Just don't know how far. If there is close to 0 toe-in, it should be OK as long as you have a turn-table style dolly and the steering is locked/tied solid.
Too much toe-in will scrub the tires off after a while.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
I have seen it done. Just don't know how far. If there is close to 0 toe-in, it should be OK as long as you have a turn-table style dolly and the steering is locked/tied solid.
Too much toe-in will scrub the tires off after a while.
Happy Glamping.
Or a dolly with a steerable axle , I'd guess.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:45 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I have an El Camino I wanted to tow but couldn't because of the auto trans. I asked around on different websites and the general consensus was it was not a good idea especially if distances were involved. The tow is not balanced when the engine is way back there (not on the dolly). Also questions about the affect on wheel alignment, tow in, etc. I bought a car trailer. Yes, it can be done but there is risk.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:26 AM   #6

FIL tried it. He had an F150. There wasn't enough weight when he did to make the tow dolly flip itself down into the towing position. He forced it down. That made the setup extremely too light in the front and guess what, it pulled like a snake going down the road. I bet he didn't get several hundred feet and her had to take it off.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:37 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Don't do it, my opinion..................
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:50 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ive seen it done. Looks funny as heck...

As mentioned, you need a steerable or swivel plate dolly. backing onto dolly, I'd suspect you'll have more of the vehicle overhanging on the front of the dolly, so double check clearances. Also the steering wheel, don't rely on the steering wheel ignition lock.

Good luck with it, take a couple photos and post them
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:52 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We tow our RWD Ranger regularly

We regularly tow our Ranger pick - up backed on to the dolly. The trick is to get a significant weight on the rear axle sitting on the dolly to offset the heavy weight of the toads engine while being towed backwards. I load the bed to the truck as far towards the tailgate as possible with spares for the motor home and dolly, tools and other camping equipment. It adds several hundred pounds onto the dolly axle shifting the weight.

I also never use any hitch extension keeping the dolly as close to the motor home as possible. Check the American Car Dolly web site. It says it can be done with their dolly also (pursuant to their instructions).

I only noticed sway one time in about 30,000 miles of travel, when I did not have adequate weight in the truck bed and I had a longer extension on my hitch receiver. I shifted and added weight in the rear of the toad and never had problems again.

Its also important to strap the steering wheel to protect again sway if the lock pin on the steering should break. All said we've found this faster and easier to load than our FWD Focus.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:09 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Towed an F150 rear-forward for several hundred miles on a U-haul dolly.
Tug was a Diesel F350 4x4 very loaded = much heavier than the F150.

We strapped the F150's steering wheel to the seat frame to prevent a crab - don't know if it would, just made sure.

The toad's steering alignment was little or no factor since the rear is up in the air...tow-in and camber are way off from level in that position. We saw no adverse effects on the tires.

It was very easy to do and was much less work than dropping the drive-shaft of the F150.
Due to balance of the set-up (motor at the far rear) I was very aware to avoid a panic stop, but since the dolly did not have brakes that was a concern anyway. But even in a hard stopping situation, there was no problem.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:01 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You cant tow a STICK SHIFT 4 down... Only a few models can not be towed 4 down, mind telling us what make, model and tranny you have?

Remco towing used to make a drive shaft disconnect, for RWD cars it went on a slightly shorter drive shaft just in front of the differential U-Joint.

Made any RWD 4-down or dolly toable.

There are real reasons for not towing Backwards. One is the steering lock is not strong enough and will break, even with straps holding the wheel it is very hard on the steering to be towed backwards. Recommend for EMERGENCY ONLY. have a Older tow truck operator show you how to do it.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:15 AM   #12

I have a Scion FRS 6 speed. Not a customary car for an RVer I realize. Some manual transmission cars can be towed flat with no problem but others shouldn't be. The FRS falls into that category.
Qwimby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:37 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is what Motor Trend shows for the Scion FR-S
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-scion-frs-at-coupe-angular-front.png
Views:	207
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	204172

While I have done a backward dolly tow, I would be very cautious for this type toad because the car's front fascia is so low when level that it could easily scrub or even be damaged in normal road conditions on a dolly...like crossing an intersection or driveway with good gutter/curbs.

I think that a car carrier would be much better for this type of sports car...just my 2cents.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly