Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Base plate or New Bumper for towing 2012 Jeep Wrangler?

Hi, we just bought a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-door, and want to use it as a toad behind our motorhome.

We use a Blue Ox towbar on our current car, and want to continue to use this setup. I have read some posters that said that putting a base plate (blue Ox and others) under your Jeep bumper reduces the clearance for off roading, and if you bang it up during some off roading, you end up driving both your Jeep and motorhome home as your new baseplate towing setup is now toast.

I have only found two aftermarket bumpers that have optional brackets for the Blue ox brackets. One is the Rockhard bumper, that is $900 plus $65 for the Blue Ox brackets, Rock Hard 4X4 RH5005 - Rock Hard 4x4 Parts Full Width Front Bumper for 07-11 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec. The only other aftermarket bumper I could find is the Tomken, and it is $469. TOMKEN MACHINE - Search Results

I guess my questions are two fold:

1. Anyone using the Blue Ox Baseplate have issues bending these up during off roading?

2. Are there any other aftermarket bumpers that have Blue Ox Brackets on them? I am NOT interested in going to a welding shop for a make shift solution.
MntDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
My toad is an 06 Rubicon. I have the Blue Ox baseplate. We do wheel in the Jeep and there is no doubt that the tabs have struck the dirt several times. So far, no damage. Those tabs seem pretty strong. I more worry about bumping into something solid, which probably would bend them. The bumper you bring up sounds like the way to go but more than I want to spend. I think either one you choose will be fine. As far as other choices, you may try Quadratec.com.
R Kimbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:04 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Any other irv2 members tow a Wrangler???
Old 06-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I tow an '11 and have a Blue Ox tow bar with a Roadmaster base plate. The nice thing with the Roadmaster is the Blue Ox "adapters" are removable from the base plate when you are not towing so you have much less exposed that could be damaged.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've got an aftermarket bumper about a 1/4" thick and my tow hooks are bolted to it. If I had a new Rubicon I wouldn't want that baseplate under my bumper if I could avoid it.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #6

I recently purchased (have not installed) this Curry base plate:

Currie Enterprises CJ Axle Parts

Since I haven't installed it, I can't yet provide too many details other than it has a nice appearance and doesn't look like it will hurt clearance. In fact, it replaces the plastic air dam that is under your bumper from the factory. It will also serve as a skid plate for that area. Currie is well respected in the offroad community, and I bet this will be a nice product. I have heard that some trimming and/or other slight modifications may be necessary on my '11, so I suspect your '12 would have the same issues. You can find more info by searching this forum for the Currie base plate.
Bryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Quadratec is the Camping World of 4x4 parts, just about everything they have can be found cheaper elsewhere. That being said that bumper is going to weigh a ton, all that weight can have an adverse affect on the stock front springs.

I'd go with the Currie unit and keep your stock bumper if faced with a choice.

I have my '01 Wrangler setup for towing but the brackets are above the bumper, it needs a 6" rise to get the tow bar level.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #8

I am pulling a 2010 unlimited, with a Rugged Ridge bumper with fabricated mounts for my blue ox. Check out the AEV bumper, there are rumors they are making bolt on mounts for there bumpers. We are in Moab now and very happy I don't have the base plate hanging below my bumper, I think it would have taken a beating.
Highlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #9

I don't believe the Currie unit will hang down at all. It will be flush under the bumper and flush under the from rails. I'll provide a little more detail after I get the chance to mount it.

All that being said, my stock plastic bumper wouldn't last long in Moab!
Bryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
We tow a Wrangler with a Warn front bumper but use a Blue Ox base plate. I am not worried about clearance. We plan to run Colorado Jeep trails but nothing radical.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I just had our second Blue OX / Jeep Wrangler base plate installed on our 2012 (purchased after the '07 got totalled). The cross bar / tow bar attach points tuck up fairly close to the bumper and is pretty rugged. Unless you plan on some hard core rock bashing I'm guessing you'll do just fine with the Blue OX. I like the idea of the aftermarket bumpers but the combination of the price and weight are more than I felt I needed to invest in right now.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #12

We have a TJ Rubicon(however it has a 3 1/2" lfit) which is towed with the stock Blue Ox baseplate. Have rockcrawled at Moab-up to 7 on the trail difficulty-no problem.

Thought about towing with the Warn bumper with brackets but it raises the angle considerable and did not want to add a stepup on the coach.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

We also have the Blue Ox baseplate on our '12 Wrangler. No problems, but haven't done a lot of rock crawling since we installed the plate.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I appreciate all the comments and help! I'm not sure I want to install an expensive aftermarket bumper with a Winch, because I'm not interested in a winch, muchless adding all that weight up front and worrying about respringing. My Rubicon is already well over 4K, and that is about the max I want to tow behind my motorhome

Glad to hear that others that have the Blue Ox base plate setup haven't banged it up. I am alow interested in the Currie unit....would love to see it on a Jeep, and wondering what type of cutting would be involved with the 2012.

I also think the point brought up about raising the tow point on the motorhome is a big point to think about too....thanks!

Most of the offroading we do would be in the San Juans and most Colorado trails.

Tags
towing